Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] john.steffes@gmail.com is offline

Default Jigsaw recommendation

Chris Lewis wrote:
According to :
I've seen several brands: B&D, Craftsman, Craftsman Professional,
DeWalt, Mikita, Milwaukee Skil, and others. I've heard good things
about DeWalt and Mikita but most of the 6+amp models are out of my
price range. I really don't want to spend over $120.

I assume that you're trying to cut the whole window frame out of
their rough frame openings. Remember that the window is held in
with some shims and nails (or possibly screws), and the rest
of any "attachment" (eg: possibly exterior vinyl flanges, or
caulking, or spray insulating foam) can be cut with a good
solid knife.

So the saw will at most be cutting some shims and thru nails.

A reciprocating saw is the right thing to use, but a jig saw
with a long blade might also do the trick. In a pinch, even a
hacksaw blade will do. Remember to get a metal cutting blade...
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est

My neighbor says the windows (vinyl casement), are not salvageable even
though they're only a few years old. He said the mounting fram would be
no good even if I removed them carefully. This strikes me as odd. The
windows are all in vgc so I'm not sure why the couldn't be re-used.