Posted to alt.home.repair
BRN BRN is offline

Default Leaking connection to clawfoot tub! Help!

Hi all,

I am trying to stop a leak at the connection between the supply line and the
threaded faucet shanks. My supply lines look more or less like this:
http://www.shop4classics.com/images/1xoffset.jpg coming out of the floor
and at the tub end having a nut and a cone shaped fitting on the end. The
nut is supposed to screw onto the threaded faucet shanks. When I do this,
WITH or WITHOUT Teflon tape wrapped around the faucet shanks, water leaks
around the nut (in front of the nut over the shank and behind the nut on the
supply). I have tried torqing the night pretty hard with a 12" crescent
wrench with no luck and a fear that I'm going to break something.

Any suggestions? Is there something else I should be putting on the threads
to stop the leak?

TIA,

Bart

Posted to alt.home.repair

BRN wrote:

[...]

The threads do not seal *anything*.

The cone on the supply does all the sealing against
the "inner cone" on the faucet inlet.

Once the cone has been deformed from previous connecting
it may no longer seal properly again.

You could try a thin film of silicone caulk on the cone,
or even Loctite. Let harden before turning water back on.

If there is any risk of breaking something by replacing
the supply line, I'd opt for the caulk first.,

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

BRN wrote:
[...]

Sounds like the kind of joint where the seal is the cone and the flared
pipe (or a cone on the pipe and a female fitting on the tub/faucet),
the threads are just there to hold it together. Take it apart and
inspect the cone and the inside of the flare for damage or scratches a
little emery cloth might be all that is needed. You might try a little
bit of pipe dope on the threads to stop the leak but I doubt it. You
may need to get a reamer at the plumbing store to resurface the
fittings. You are right not to overtighten this joint, moderate
pressure should seal it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
BRN BRN is offline

Thanks all. That makes sense that it is the fitting that's gone bad and not
a problem with the threads. I'll try some silicone and if that doesn't
work, a new fitting.