Posted to alt.home.repair
Dale

Default Pressure Valve Leaking

I have a hot water boiler pressure valve (30 PSI)which is leaking. I have
replaced it twice.
I have tried turning off the water incoming source and the out water
domestic ho****er (not the heating zones), and still leaking. I checked the
pressure tank and it was at 18 PSI, I released some of the pressure down to
12 it lessened pressure off the system and the leaking stopped. The pressure
tank again went up to 18 and again I put it down to 12 to stop leaking. Now
I get no reading from the pressure tank (hope I did not mess it up), but
there is pressure in it. The pressure tank is about a year old and sounds OK
when I knock on it, hollow on top, full on bottom.
When the circulator is on the pressure seems to come down to somewhere
between 20 and 25 when the circulator stops the pressure seems to rise and
pressure release valve leaks.
Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bubba

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 00:08:53 GMT, "Dale" wrote:

[...]

Seriously, you need to stop messing with it before you make a minor
repair turn into a very expensive repair.
Call in someone that knows about hot water systems.
Bubba
Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Is the water feed off, you jump from 12 cold to 25 hot. I had a new
boiler and expansion tank a few years ago and went from 12 cold to 35 or
so hot, and was leaking the relief also, the installer put in an
expansion tank that was to small, solution was he added a second tank,
now its fine. But I dont know if this could apply to you as I had a
much greater jump in pressure. You only need enough pressure or
altitude to get water to the highest radiators, try lowering it till it
is sorted out, could your gauge be bad reading low

Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

how about MAYBE: you have a bad pressure gauge misleading you?
or MAYBE rust or dirt is bothering your pressure relief valve, with
insulated gloves open it up and flush it out its scalding water and
debris.
hunt down your nearest old time experienced plumber in your
neighborhood to call on.
your required pressure when hot to get to how many feet to the top
radiator needs to be marked with a permanent marker near your gauge by
you for your system. i need 25 pounds when running and heating to get
to the top of my third floor radiators from the basement boiler IN MY
SYSTEM for example.
you need to search google for the manual pdf for your boiler, read
about your system, discuss the repair and seasonal maintenance of your
particular accessories and how they interconnect with your friendly
local expert, and keep the manuals for the various devices dry in a big
2-1/2 gallon ziplock bag convenient to the devices.
you have an interesting system which makes heat and hot drinking water.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Oscar_Lives

"Dale" wrote in message
news46jf.134436$S4.86862@edtnps84...
[...]

Try changing it to a cold water boiler system and see if that lowers the
pressure.