Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water Well Problem

Hi,

We have a well as the water source for our home. When my husband was
mowing the lawn this weekend he noticed that the ground around the site
of our water well is soft and muddy. I was wondering if anyone could
explain what would cause this kind of a situation and what the costs
could possibly be to repair it. We have had a lot of rain in the past
several weeks, but I never noticed anything like this before. Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

water line OUT is probably leaking....

not expensive if you dont mind digging it up.line down into well may
need replaced how old is your well? plastic or metal line?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Do you know if it's a shallow well (dug) or deep drilled well. A
shallow well can fill with ground water (run-off) and rise to the
surface. With a deep well the casing may be cracked allowing water to
reach the surface. Most often though, water around the top is usually
an indication of poor grading. The well casing may need to be raised a
bit and back-filled with a bit of soil.

Posted to alt.home.repair

You never know what you will find till you dig, I had the same
situation a couple of weeks ago, I found a compression splice that just
needed a turn. Good thing about it, it won't be hard to find or hard to
dig for that matter. If you find a crack in a plastic line and it isn't
too big one of those compression fittings could do the trick. Larger
than that, you can glue in a adequate length of pipe and use one of
those for a pipe union to join it to the existing line. Even if it is
metal, a proper sized plastic repair would work with 2 of the plastic
compression things, they work on metal too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yep, it sounds to me like a leak next to the casing. The pipe
normally attaches to the pitless adaptor at the side facing the house.
Start digging. Generally about 6 feet down. However, before you dig,
take a piece of 3/4" pipe about a foot long and drive it in the soil.
(on side facing the house) Pull it out and push all the mud out of it
with a stick, and push it back in the hole. See if it fills with
water. If it does, you probably got a leak. If not, wait a week or
two and see what happens.

Also look in the well. Is the water level near the surface of the
ground? If it is, you might be having a very high water table
situation, and if you are, thats the problem, and you DO NOT want to
dig a hole out of possible collapse of the hole. I know all about
this. I got nearly buried once from this exact thing.

Of course if the water table is high, you really should not have water
coming up out of the ground and your casing might be bad. Is your
water tested safe?