Joey

Default Whirlpool Water Dispenser Problem -- HELP !

Thanks for taking the time to read my posting.

I have a Whirlpool Refrig with a built in freezer door water dispenser
and ice dispenser (crushed or cube).

The ice maker is working fine but the water dispenser stopped. I could
hear the hum of the water valve when the dispenser lever was pushed but
no water came out. So, I thought that part of the valve was bad and I
replaced the water valve with a new one. This is the valve that the
water supply attaches to and has two water outlets--one to the ice maker
and the other to the water dispenser. Well, that didn't cure the
problem. Still get the hum when the dispenser lever is pushed but no
water comes out. I checked the water outlet tube in the door as far as
I could see and it is not obstructed.

From the water valve located at the bottom left of the refrig that
water line enters the bottom of the refrig and comes back out at the
same spot in a smaller diameter plastic tube. It then goes to the
bottom of the freezer door and upward to the water dispenser. Since the
main water valve is good and the dispenser switch is good I feel there
must be an obstruction somewhere between the water valve and the outlet
tube. Anyone know where this could be or what the problem is ??? There
are no leaks anywhere and absolutely no water comes out of the dispenser
tube.
Any assistance will be appreciated. The refig is about 5 years old and
has had no other problems.

Joey
Matt

Joey -

Check out:

http://www.applianceaid.com/
http://groups.msn.com/Appliantology/

Common problem.

Joey

Thanks Matt for the sites but they didn't have anything pertaining
to this problem. Any other ideas ?

Joey

Matt wrote:

Joey -

Check out:

http://www.applianceaid.com/
http://groups.msn.com/Appliantology/

Common problem.

Ed

"Joey" wrote

Two possibilities.
1. Ice in the water tank. It's behind the drawers in the refrigerator
section. Try warming it with a hair dryer and see if it works.
2. A frozen water line in the freezer door. This one can be more difficult
to repair but usually leaving the freezer door open for an hour or two will
thaw it. If it refreezes you should call a servicer.

Kathy

"Joey" wrote in message
Thanks Matt for the sites but they didn't have anything pertaining
to this problem. Any other ideas ?

Joey

Have you changed the filter?

Matt wrote:

Joey -

Check out:

http://www.applianceaid.com/
http://groups.msn.com/Appliantology/

Common problem.

Joey

Kathy,

It only has one filter that I installed and it's in the supply line.
I did change that filter but didn't cure the problem.

Joey

Matt wrote:

Joey -

Check out:

http://www.applianceaid.com/
http://groups.msn.com/Appliantology/

Common problem.

Joey

Ed,

This is a strong possibility, but what would cause this to happen after
four years of no problems ? Also, what would a servicer do to fix a
problem like this ? When it was working the water was never really
cold, just cool.

Joey

Ed wrote:

"Joey" wrote

Two possibilities.
1. Ice in the water tank. It's behind the drawers in the refrigerator
section. Try warming it with a hair dryer and see if it works.
2. A frozen water line in the freezer door. This one can be more difficult
to repair but usually leaving the freezer door open for an hour or two will
thaw it. If it refreezes you should call a servicer.

Appliance Repair Aid

Joey wrote:
[...]

From the water valve located at the bottom left of the refrig that
water line enters the bottom of the refrig and comes back out at the
same spot in a smaller diameter plastic tube. It then goes to the
bottom of the freezer door and upward to the water dispenser. Since

the
main water valve is good and the dispenser switch is good I feel

there
must be an obstruction somewhere between the water valve and the

outlet
tube. Anyone know where this could be or what the problem is ???

There
are no leaks anywhere and absolutely no water comes out of the

dispenser
tube.
Any assistance will be appreciated. The refig is about 5 years old

and
has had no other problems.

Joey

Hi,

Model#?
http://www.applianceaid.com/model.html
Some model# helps.

Very possible the water reservoir/tank is frozen. Clogged is rare but
frozen is common.

The water tank/reservoir is normally behind the lower crispers in the
fresh food section. A couple of simple ways that usually works....grab
the chilled water coil and sqeeze...hear scrunching/crunching it is
usually ice. Can also open the tubing connector entering the freezer
door bottom and try running water into a cup or pail there to see if
the water tank is frozen, no water flow is often a frozen water
tank/reservoir. Usually a little heat with a hair dryer ( carefull of
plactic or faom part! ) thaws it out quickly.

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Kathy

"Joey" wrote in message
Kathy,

It only has one filter that I installed and it's in the supply line.
I did change that filter but didn't cure the problem.

Mine has a big one in the fridge part. Needs to be changed every so often.

Ed

"Joey" wrote

Ed,

This is a strong possibility, but what would cause this to happen after
four years of no problems ? Also, what would a servicer do to fix a
problem like this ? When it was working the water was never really cold,
just cool.

Joey

If the storage tank in the refrigerator section is frozen it's usually
caused by poor air circulation. It can be corrected by adjusting the freezer
control to a warmer setting. This will increase airflow into the
refrigerator section. Sometimes you may also need to adjust the refrigerator
control to a warmer setting.

If the water line in the freezer door is frozen that is usually caused by
moisture in the door. The fiberglass that insulates the tube may be wet and
frozen. If opening the door for a few hours solves the problem and you see
water dripping from the bottom of the door you can be pretty sure that the
insulation got wet.

I suggest a service tech for this problem because I'm not sure of your
mechanical ability. The freezer door would have to come apart and the wet
insulation replaced and it may require replacement of the insulation.

On some models you can test to see if this tube is the problem. The tube
comes from the tank and goes under the freezer. You can see it if you remove
the kickplate. Very often there is a union there, if you disconnect the
union and blow through the section that goes up through the freezer door
hinge there should be no resistance other than some water that may be in the
tube. If you can't blow through it then you have found where the ice
blockage is.

Joey

Hi Ed and others:

Your pointers finally paid off. I decided to take the freezer door
panel off and it was really a big job. Apparently chipped ice from the
ice dispenser melted and dripped over time into the insulation and over
the styrofoam that covers the dispenser portion of the door. I took all
the insulation out and replaced it--really I doubled the amount of
insulation there. But.....still the water dispenser didn't work. I
took some rather large diameter weed eater line and fed it through the
opening in the door and finally it came up into the tank behind the
crisper section in the refrig. There it stopped. So, I managed to heat
up the tank with a hair dryer and while putting the freezer door back
together again, the water started working. The hardest part of this job
was getting the door seal back on properly. I hope the water tank won't
freeze again but I figure if it does, I could remove it and put a splice
into the line where the water will run direct--shorter route. Thanks
for all the assistance !!!!!!

Joey

Ed wrote:
[...]

Ed

"Joey" wrote
I hope the water tank won't freeze again but I figure if it does, I could
remove it and put a splice into the line where the water will run
direct--shorter route. Thanks for all the assistance !!!!!!

Happy to help. If you by-pass the water tank you won't get chilled water at
the door (and you might still get a frozen water line) but you can always
put a little ice in the glass.

Problem with new water heater (electric) - please advice Robert Home Repair 8 February 19th 04 05:27 AM
need hot water FAST PV Home Repair 38 January 30th 04 01:15 AM
Hot water problem limey Home Repair 9 November 26th 03 02:31 AM
Kitchen Aid Side-by-side - Water Dispenser/Filter Problem Paula Home Repair 6 October 28th 03 04:03 AM