Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Question about painting rough cedar clapboards

I have cedar clapboards on my house with the rough side facing out. We
are trying to understand the best way to scrape/sand the old paint off
without having to sand it smooth and remove the rough look. The
biggest challenge appears to be getting the paint out of the grooves of
the cedar (between the growth rings). Scraping only seems to get the
paint off of the top of the growth ring and the softer wood that
usually is less prominent doesn't seem to come out without significant
sanding. I have thought about the Paint Shaver but I think it would
have to take a significant mount of siding off to get all the paint
off. Our siding is also only 4" so the exposure is 3 1/4 and has a
small amount of cupping (1/16" to 1/8") so the Paint Shaver would
probably take too much off the bottom of the clapboard. Has anyone out
there had any luck with a method to remove paint from rough cedar
clapboards. Please help!

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Brent wrote:
I have cedar clapboards on my house with the rough side facing out. We
are trying to understand the best way to scrape/sand the old paint off
without having to sand it smooth and remove the rough look. ...

Unless it's peeling, my suggestion is to simply to power wash
(carefully to not gouge the soft material) and then perhaps use a wire
brush or other stiff bristle to remove any loose paint then repaint.
Now you understand a prime reason not to paint over rough-sawn
material...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Some of it is peeling though and the cedar has weathered where it is
worst. Does anyone know of a tool that I could attach to a grinder
perhaps. I've thought about trying those vinyl sanding wheels, but
haven't yet. I did try a steel brush attached to a grinder but it look
off too much.