Mike

Default painting question (after removing wallpaper)

While removing a strip of wallpaper (horrendous job...even with a rented
steamer machine), I managed to scrape off some paint down to the plaster.
A the edges of these spots, the paint is "peeled" like an orange.

And some of the paint has bubbled at spots as well.

This is likely a dumb newbie question, but what do I do to make the wall
smooth for primer/paint? What about the paper/glue remnants I couldn't get off?

Thanks,
Mike

p.s. If I ever see Tazmanian wallpaper again, I will likely explode
Wallpaper in general seems like a terrible idea...

dadiOH

Mike wrote:
While removing a strip of wallpaper (horrendous job...even with a
rented steamer machine), I managed to scrape off some paint down to
the plaster. A the edges of these spots, the paint is "peeled" like
an orange.

And some of the paint has bubbled at spots as well.

This is likely a dumb newbie question, but what do I do to make the
wall smooth for primer/paint?

Depends on how bad they are.
1. You can spot prime and then sand the area flat. May take more than
one coat. Probably have to use wet/dry paper too, primers nowadays don't
sand worth a damn.
2. Sand/scrape the existing area to feather the edges.
3. Fill with drywall compound, sand flat and spot prime.

Regardless, you have to get off *ALL* loose/bubbling paint.
___________________________

What about the paper/glue remnants I
couldn't get off?

You have to get them off...or do as above. WTF did you glue the paper on
with, Resorcinol?

--
dadiOH
_____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.0...
____________________________

Mike

Depends on how bad they are.
1. You can spot prime and then sand the area flat. May take more than
one coat. Probably have to use wet/dry paper too, primers nowadays don't
sand worth a damn.
2. Sand/scrape the existing area to feather the edges.
3. Fill with drywall compound, sand flat and spot prime.

I bought some joint compound to fill in the places where the paint peeled
off down to the plaster.

Regardless, you have to get off *ALL* loose/bubbling paint.
___________________________

What about the paper/glue remnants I
couldn't get off?

You have to get them off...or do as above. WTF did you glue the paper on
with, Resorcinol?

I bought the house 9 months ago. I'm ready to shoot the sellers They
didn't use primer before applying the wallpaper. Not to mention all of
the other idiotic things they've done (throw away gutter downspouts so
moving the lawn was easier, glue ****ty carpet to the basement floor, put
drywall over the outside faucet access valve, the list goes on...things I
didn't notice when buying or during home inspection)

Gabrielle Wales

I have always found that using a steam stripper will remove more than just
the paper. A tip I picked up from a home decorator was after sanding off
the loose paint, seal the walls with a dilute mixture of bog standard pva
glue. Its cheap, quick and easily available. A further recomendation would
be to mist coat the walls with watered down emulsion for the first coat and
to use a dead flat finish that will not show up any minor imperfections.

Belle