Gabrielle Wales

Default painting question (after removing wallpaper)

I have always found that using a steam stripper will remove more than just
the paper. A tip I picked up from a home decorator was after sanding off
the loose paint, seal the walls with a dilute mixture of bog standard pva
glue. Its cheap, quick and easily available. A further recomendation would
be to mist coat the walls with watered down emulsion for the first coat and
to use a dead flat finish that will not show up any minor imperfections.

Belle
"dadiOH" wrote in message
Mike wrote:
While removing a strip of wallpaper (horrendous job...even with a
rented steamer machine), I managed to scrape off some paint down to
the plaster. A the edges of these spots, the paint is "peeled" like
an orange.

And some of the paint has bubbled at spots as well.

This is likely a dumb newbie question, but what do I do to make the
wall smooth for primer/paint?

Depends on how bad they are.
1. You can spot prime and then sand the area flat. May take more than
one coat. Probably have to use wet/dry paper too, primers nowadays don't
sand worth a damn.
2. Sand/scrape the existing area to feather the edges.
3. Fill with drywall compound, sand flat and spot prime.

Regardless, you have to get off *ALL* loose/bubbling paint.

What about the paper/glue remnants I
couldn't get off?

You have to get them off...or do as above. WTF did you glue the paper on
with, Resorcinol?

--
dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.0...