Posted to alt.home.repair
Brent Brent is offline

Default Question about painting rough cedar clapboards

Some of it is peeling though and the cedar has weathered where it is
worst. Does anyone know of a tool that I could attach to a grinder
perhaps. I've thought about trying those vinyl sanding wheels, but
haven't yet. I did try a steel brush attached to a grinder but it look
off too much.

dpb wrote:
Brent wrote:
I have cedar clapboards on my house with the rough side facing out. We
are trying to understand the best way to scrape/sand the old paint off
without having to sand it smooth and remove the rough look. ...

Unless it's peeling, my suggestion is to simply to power wash
(carefully to not gouge the soft material) and then perhaps use a wire
brush or other stiff bristle to remove any loose paint then repaint.
Now you understand a prime reason not to paint over rough-sawn
material...