Posted to alt.home.repair
Larry Caldwell Larry Caldwell is offline

Default Question about painting rough cedar clapboards

In article .com,
(Brent) says...

Some of it is peeling though and the cedar has weathered where it is
worst. Does anyone know of a tool that I could attach to a grinder
perhaps. I've thought about trying those vinyl sanding wheels, but
haven't yet. I did try a steel brush attached to a grinder but it look
off too much.

A pressure washer is your best bet. Use a good one, not those cheapo
electric jobbies. For a house sized surface, you should be looking for
at least an 8 hp unit. You need both volume and pressure.

Hold the nozzle at an acute angle to the wood at the fan setting, and it
will peel any loose paint right off. Get too close and you will start
taking wood off too. If there is still any loose paint left, brush it
lightly by hand with a wire brush and pressure wash again.