Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bubbles in Fiberglass in-ground pool

So with this heat we have had here in Sunny CA, it seems like there are more
and more of these maybe 2" around little bubble like things on the bottom of
the shallow end (3.5'-4.5') of the pool. Last year there were a few, 6
maybe, now I'm up to 20+ of them. You cannot press them down, so they do
not seem to be flexible.

What are they?
What causes Them?
What should I do about them?

Thanks,
Scott-

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pop Pop is offline

In .com,
Scott Townsend typed:
So with this heat we have had here in Sunny CA, it seems like
there
are more and more of these maybe 2" around little bubble like
things
on the bottom of the shallow end (3.5'-4.5') of the pool. Last
year
there were a few, 6 maybe, now I'm up to 20+ of them. You
cannot
press them down, so they do not seem to be flexible.

What are they?
What causes Them?
What should I do about them?

Thanks,
Scott-

Sounds like delamination; incorrect install or bad material.
Check your warranty and make some calls.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I believe it was installed in 1991? We are new to the house/pool (10/2003),
so I'm not sure who installed it, etc.

How long to Fiberglass inserts last? is 15 years a long life for these, or
Short or?

Thanks,
Scott-

"Pop" wrote in message
In .com,
Scott Townsend typed:
So with this heat we have had here in Sunny CA, it seems like there
are more and more of these maybe 2" around little bubble like things
on the bottom of the shallow end (3.5'-4.5') of the pool. Last year
there were a few, 6 maybe, now I'm up to 20+ of them. You cannot
press them down, so they do not seem to be flexible.

What are they?
What causes Them?
What should I do about them?

Thanks,
Scott-

Sounds like delamination; incorrect install or bad material. Check your
warranty and make some calls.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Scott Townsend" wrote in message
.com...
So with this heat we have had here in Sunny CA, it seems like there are
more and more of these maybe 2" around little bubble like things on the
bottom of the shallow end (3.5'-4.5') of the pool. Last year there were a
few, 6 maybe, now I'm up to 20+ of them. You cannot press them down, so
they do not seem to be flexible.

What are they?
What causes Them?
What should I do about them?

Thanks,
Scott-

I'm wondering why new ones are sprouting and why only in the shallow end.
Might you or your kids be damaging the bottom with a hard object. Maybe
jumping in with a toy. The shallow end is far more succeptable since it is
easier to contact.

Was the pool drained leaving the shallow end exposed to the sun or
chemicals. I'm sure you've not seen a freeze.

If it is a standard Vinyl pool liner than maybe you have some pinhole leaks
and what you see is a blister of water between the liner and pool wall/floor
material, perhaps between two layer liner. If that is the case, the liner
needs to be replaced. What is the pool made of?

best bet is to pay for pool service at least once so you can learn what you
are missing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Scott Townsend writes:

What should I do about them?

If they're bubbles in the pool wall, drain the pool, grind them down, fill
with epoxy, and polish smooth and flat.

If it is a lime deposit, chip it off.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I don't think its kids toys. Could be the Kids. The only ones really in it
of that age are my 2 nephews, one cant touch the bottom and the other is 6,
so he might, but I don't think he could make that hard of an impact on the
bottom.

Pool was never drained. Never Frozen. Though it has been the hottest we
have ever seen it. In the mid/low 90's No Heater, just with the cover and
the sun. This has been the hottest since we've lived there. (Northern
Calif)

Its not the gunnite (sp?) type, I think its a Fiberglass insert.

I did have a pool guy out once, he was ****y they we didn;t retain his
services after we bought the place. I told him I didn't know he was the one
who maintained it. Anyway it checked out fine. He showed me how to clean the
filter, etc and the Chemical part I knew about. The bubble were not there
at the time.

Thanks,
Scott-

"PipeDown" wrote in message
nk.net...

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Can you do that with fiberglass? How do you color match? With 20+ of these
I'd not want it to look like the pool has a bad case of acne...

Thank you,
Scott-
"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
. ..
Scott Townsend writes:

What should I do about them?

If they're bubbles in the pool wall, drain the pool, grind them down, fill
with epoxy, and polish smooth and flat.

If it is a lime deposit, chip it off.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Scott Townsend writes:

Can you do that with fiberglass?

Yes. What you call "fiberglass" is actually glass fibers in an epoxy
matrix.

How do you color match?

Try a boat store like West Marine or Boater's World. Tons of stuff to
repair fiberglass. Your "pool" is actually a boat, inside out and stuck in
the ground.