Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Default How to match this moulding?

Hi,

The previous owner cut part of the crown moulding so he could fit built
in closets. Now the closets are gone (good riddance) and I would like
to repair the moulding. Also, I'm adding an internal door that I would
like to have the same moulding. The following is not a good picture,
but you can tell the shape:

http://i.math.drexel.edu/~pg/moulding.jpg

What is my best strategy for finding moulding like that? I have visited
every single lumber yard and every mill shop in the 10 mile radius (I'm
in Philly) with now luck. One mill shop said they would do it for $200
+ $40/lf. Obviously, this is unaffordable.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions!

Aaron Fude

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

make cardboard template of shape and have custom knife cut, knife may
cost 200 bucks but will last a lifetime.

this old house does this. local machine shop could likely make the knife

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Go to the LV web site and look at the router bits. I'm sure they have the
large profile for it and the other is a cove bit or a core box bit. You
will need to take some measurements to make sure the sizes are right. Hope
you have a router table if you find the bits are what you want.
Jim
wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

The previous owner cut part of the crown moulding so he could fit built
in closets. Now the closets are gone (good riddance) and I would like
to repair the moulding. Also, I'm adding an internal door that I would
like to have the same moulding. The following is not a good picture,
but you can tell the shape:

http://i.math.drexel.edu/~pg/moulding.jpg

What is my best strategy for finding moulding like that? I have visited
every single lumber yard and every mill shop in the 10 mile radius (I'm
in Philly) with now luck. One mill shop said they would do it for $200
+ $40/lf. Obviously, this is unaffordable.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions!

Aaron Fude

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

The previous owner cut part of the crown moulding so he could fit built
in closets. Now the closets are gone (good riddance) and I would like
to repair the moulding. Also, I'm adding an internal door that I would
like to have the same moulding. The following is not a good picture,
but you can tell the shape:

http://i.math.drexel.edu/~pg/moulding.jpg

What is my best strategy for finding moulding like that? I have visited
every single lumber yard and every mill shop in the 10 mile radius (I'm
in Philly) with now luck. One mill shop said they would do it for $200
+ $40/lf. Obviously, this is unaffordable.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions!

Aaron Fude

You might be able to make a satisfactory section using a shaped template and
some sort of patching plaster or similar material. You can mark and cut the
template from the cut edge of the old molding. The new section could be
built up with wood or foam in the back.

A piece of similar molding might be modified by building up or trimming down
where needed. Sometimes you can add on a small strip of wood and use a
router to shape it as needed. Foam is pretty easy to shape with sharp or hot
tools. Anything you make will take quite a bit of work and some skill. A
friend with woodcarving or craft skills might have some better ideas.

Don Young

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

wrote in news:1153793193.035264.276830
@m79g2000cwm.googlegroups.com:

http://i.math.drexel.edu/~pg/moulding.jpg

The moulding looks like it could be made with two or more different bits each
cutting a differnt area. I have made some interesting picture frames that
way.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

wrote:
Hi,

The previous owner cut part of the crown moulding so he could fit
built in closets. Now the closets are gone (good riddance) and I
would like to repair the moulding. Also, I'm adding an internal door
that I would like to have the same moulding. The following is not a
good picture, but you can tell the shape:

http://i.math.drexel.edu/~pg/moulding.jpg

What is my best strategy for finding moulding like that? I have
visited every single lumber yard and every mill shop in the 10 mile
radius (I'm in Philly) with now luck. One mill shop said they would
do it for $200 + $40/lf. Obviously, this is unaffordable.

1. Buy router bit(s) and cut it

2. Make a mold from existing and cast it

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

wrote in message

http://i.math.drexel.edu/~pg/moulding.jpg

You've had a few suggestions, here's mine.

From the picture, it looks like a large ogee moulding with the addition of a
strip of inside quarter round and then something similar to a 2"x3" backer
piece of wood for spacing. Inside quarter round is readily available as well
as router bits to cut it. So, all you really need to do is buy or create the
large ogee section. Should be relatively easy to route with a single
suitable bit, with several passes needed for each curve. I'd cut off a
section of the moulding and take to the store to match it up with suitable
router bits.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...88&cat=1,46168
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...87&cat=1,46168

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

The previous owner cut part of the crown moulding so he could fit built
in closets. Now the closets are gone (good riddance) and I would like
to repair the moulding. Also, I'm adding an internal door that I would
like to have the same moulding. The following is not a good picture,
but you can tell the shape:

http://i.math.drexel.edu/~pg/moulding.jpg

What is my best strategy for finding moulding like that? I have visited
every single lumber yard and every mill shop in the 10 mile radius (I'm
in Philly) with now luck. One mill shop said they would do it for $200
+ $40/lf. Obviously, this is unaffordable.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions!

Aaron Fude

Is it just the return portion of the window trim that you need? It looks
like the guy just broke off the return and cut the 45 angle off? If this
is correct I may be able to suggest a decent looking, low cost repair.

--
Colbyt
One picture can be worth a 1000 words.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

The previous owner cut part of the crown moulding so he could fit
built
in closets. Now the closets are gone (good riddance) and I would like
to repair the moulding. Also, I'm adding an internal door that I would
like to have the same moulding. The following is not a good picture,
but you can tell the shape:

http://i.math.drexel.edu/~pg/moulding.jpg

What is my best strategy for finding moulding like that? I have
visited
every single lumber yard and every mill shop in the 10 mile radius
(I'm
in Philly) with now luck. One mill shop said they would do it for $200
+ $40/lf. Obviously, this is unaffordable.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions!

Pretty molding. You might find some at habitat restore or some
architectual salvage place, but that is a crap shoot. I'd bite the
bullet and pay or rip the old molding off and replace it with the new
stuff that looks nice but will not mesh as well with the architectural
integrity of your home.

Maybe you could check further out and find a millwork place in a smaller
town where they don't charge big-city prices. You are not likely to
find a good price of a web storefront.

You might want to check on rec.woodworking. Some of those people might
have a better idea, some of them have routers and can probably do their
own.

Good luck!

Aaron Fude

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Snip
http://i.math.drexel.edu/~pg/moulding.jpg

What is my best strategy for finding moulding like that? I have visited
every single lumber yard and every mill shop in the 10 mile radius (I'm
in Philly) with now luck. One mill shop said they would do it for $200
+ $40/lf. Obviously, this is unaffordable.
Aaron Fude

Do you just want to buy the moulding or how to make it?

Dave

http://www.usenet.com

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
EXT EXT is offline

Look at this website:

http://www.centralfairbank.com/catalog.php?cid=6

Moulding # 323 is very close. Probably not close enough to butt end to end,
but either to replace what you have or to use in a location that does not
touch the existing moulding. Pull some of the old stuff off and replace with
new, use what you pull off to patch into other areas where it will butt end
to end.

The down side. This outfit is in Toronto, Canada. It may take a day trip
from where you are to get it. But it is not that far and will be cheaper
than having it custom made. Plus you will help the flagging tourist industry
in Toronto as well.

I have used their mouldings. Managed to perfectly match a 50 year old
moulding on a job I was working on.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

The previous owner cut part of the crown moulding so he could fit built
in closets. Now the closets are gone (good riddance) and I would like
to repair the moulding. Also, I'm adding an internal door that I would
like to have the same moulding. The following is not a good picture,
but you can tell the shape:

http://i.math.drexel.edu/~pg/moulding.jpg

What is my best strategy for finding moulding like that? I have visited
every single lumber yard and every mill shop in the 10 mile radius (I'm
in Philly) with now luck. One mill shop said they would do it for $200
+ $40/lf. Obviously, this is unaffordable.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions!

Aaron Fude

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

wrote in news:1153793193.035264.276830
@m79g2000cwm.googlegroups.com:

Hi,

The previous owner cut part of the crown moulding so he could fit built
in closets. Now the closets are gone (good riddance) and I would like
to repair the moulding. Also, I'm adding an internal door that I would
like to have the same moulding. The following is not a good picture,
but you can tell the shape:

http://i.math.drexel.edu/~pg/moulding.jpg

What is my best strategy for finding moulding like that? I have visited
every single lumber yard and every mill shop in the 10 mile radius (I'm
in Philly) with now luck. One mill shop said they would do it for $200
+ $40/lf. Obviously, this is unaffordable.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions!

Aaron Fude

Just replace it all. Considering total time (research, travel, etc),
custom make costs, price of gas, etc, it will be less expensive. If you
are trying to maintain originality, well, that's the cost to do that.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Go and visit you local tech school with a sample piece and ask them if
they could make you the footage you need. You may end up buying them a
tool or two in barter and furnishing your own lumber but a lot of times
it works out well.
All the ones I have seen are always strapped for supplies.