Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
I Love Lucy I Love Lucy is offline

Default How to match this moulding?

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

The previous owner cut part of the crown moulding so he could fit
built
in closets. Now the closets are gone (good riddance) and I would like
to repair the moulding. Also, I'm adding an internal door that I would
like to have the same moulding. The following is not a good picture,
but you can tell the shape:

http://i.math.drexel.edu/~pg/moulding.jpg

What is my best strategy for finding moulding like that? I have
visited
every single lumber yard and every mill shop in the 10 mile radius
(I'm
in Philly) with now luck. One mill shop said they would do it for $200
+ $40/lf. Obviously, this is unaffordable.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions!

Pretty molding. You might find some at habitat restore or some
architectual salvage place, but that is a crap shoot. I'd bite the
bullet and pay or rip the old molding off and replace it with the new
stuff that looks nice but will not mesh as well with the architectural
integrity of your home.

Maybe you could check further out and find a millwork place in a smaller
town where they don't charge big-city prices. You are not likely to
find a good price of a web storefront.

You might want to check on rec.woodworking. Some of those people might
have a better idea, some of them have routers and can probably do their
own.

Good luck!

Aaron Fude