Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
Al Bundy Al Bundy is offline

Default How to match this moulding?

wrote in news:1153793193.035264.276830
@m79g2000cwm.googlegroups.com:

Hi,

The previous owner cut part of the crown moulding so he could fit built
in closets. Now the closets are gone (good riddance) and I would like
to repair the moulding. Also, I'm adding an internal door that I would
like to have the same moulding. The following is not a good picture,
but you can tell the shape:

http://i.math.drexel.edu/~pg/moulding.jpg

What is my best strategy for finding moulding like that? I have visited
every single lumber yard and every mill shop in the 10 mile radius (I'm
in Philly) with now luck. One mill shop said they would do it for $200
+ $40/lf. Obviously, this is unaffordable.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions!

Aaron Fude

Just replace it all. Considering total time (research, travel, etc),
custom make costs, price of gas, etc, it will be less expensive. If you
are trying to maintain originality, well, that's the cost to do that.