Posted to alt.home.repair

Default plastic toilet

Do they make plastic toilets for homes?
If not, why?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"digitalage" wrote in message
. ..
Do they make plastic toilets for homes?
If not, why?

Durability, sanitization, resistance to cleaning chemicals, ease of
cleaning, ease of manufacture. It would be difficult, if not impossible to
mold one compared to casting with slip.

I can't think of a single reason that plastic would be better.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
m...

"digitalage" wrote in message
. ..
Do they make plastic toilets for homes?
If not, why?

Durability, sanitization, resistance to cleaning chemicals, ease of
cleaning, ease of manufacture. It would be difficult, if not impossible to
mold one compared to casting with slip.

I can't think of a single reason that plastic would be better.

Well for prisons and super-sized folks, they do sell welded-up stainless
steel ones. Pretty expensive- there is a lot of hand work involved in the
process.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Do they make plastic toilets for homes?

They re even using "china/porcelain" toilets in RV s now and ditching the
plastic stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article %o%sg.155440$iF6.21026@pd7tw2no, "Rudy"
wrote:

Do they make plastic toilets for homes?

They re even using "china/porcelain" toilets in RV s now

Make that "upper-end" RVs.

and ditching the plastic stuff.

Oh, no. Plastic toilets in RVs are still the norm except for replacements
and, as I said above, in upper-end rigs. The big deal in many cases in the RV
world is WEIGHT.
--

JR

2000 Skamper Ultra 249 TT
2002 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
Vortec 8100 - Allison 1000

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 12 Jul 2006 02:20:25 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Edwin
Pawlowski" quickly quoth:

"digitalage" wrote in message
Do they make plastic toilets for homes?
If not, why?

Durability, sanitization, resistance to cleaning chemicals, ease of
cleaning, ease of manufacture. It would be difficult, if not impossible to
mold one compared to casting with slip.

I can't think of a single reason that plastic would be better.

I vaguely recall reading that the plastic ones also sweat a whole lot,
causing condensation and rot problems for those houses in which they
were tested. The cold water in a warm house would do that after every
flush.

-
In nature's infinite book of secrecy a little I can read. -Shakespeare
------
http://diversify.com Website Application & Database Development
Posted to alt.home.repair

"ameijers" writes:
Well for prisons and super-sized folks, they do sell welded-up stainless

I'd like to see a residential urinal/toilet that had a built in sink
that would flush or supplement the flush water with the hand wash.
A urinal could easily be flushed with that volume of h2o, i think.

I've seen a prison all in one setup similar to this, but not residential.
Of course, there isn't much in the way of residential urinals either.
(there are a few, though)

--
May no harm befall you,
flip

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Philip Lewis" wrote in message
I'd like to see a residential urinal/toilet that had a built in sink
that would flush or supplement the flush water with the hand wash.
A urinal could easily be flushed with that volume of h2o, i think.

In Europe, some toilets have two flush handles. One provides more water for
the solids. Makes a lot of sense.

Posted to alt.home.repair

According to Larry Jaques :
On Wed, 12 Jul 2006 02:20:25 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Edwin
Pawlowski" quickly quoth:

"digitalage" wrote in message
Do they make plastic toilets for homes?
If not, why?

Durability, sanitization, resistance to cleaning chemicals, ease of
cleaning, ease of manufacture. It would be difficult, if not impossible to
mold one compared to casting with slip.

I can't think of a single reason that plastic would be better.

I vaguely recall reading that the plastic ones also sweat a whole lot,
causing condensation and rot problems for those houses in which they
were tested. The cold water in a warm house would do that after every
flush.

Plastic would be _less_ prone to condensation, not more.`
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
Posted to alt.home.repair

According to Jim Redelfs :
wrote:

Do they make plastic toilets for homes?

They re even using "china/porcelain" toilets in RV s now

Make that "upper-end" RVs.

and ditching the plastic stuff.

Oh, no. Plastic toilets in RVs are still the norm except for replacements
and, as I said above, in upper-end rigs. The big deal in many cases in the RV
world is WEIGHT.

Portable toilets are mostly plastic.

My inlaws had a plastic ultra-low flush unit in their cottage.
I think it was a marine unit - lever-activated spring-loaded
flapper in the bowl. [Caution required to avoid flicking, er,
stuff in your face - retain hold on lever at all times during
flush ;-).]

The unit worked _fine_, cleaning didn't seem to be a problem.
Real problem was it wasn't putting enough water into the DWV
if you were conscious about minimizing water use, and it'd
plug up.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est

Posted to alt.home.repair

They re even using "china/porcelain" toilets in RV s now

Make that "upper-end" RVs.

Oh, no. Plastic toilets in RVs are still the norm except for replacements
and, as I said above, in upper-end rigs.

Standard in our 2000 Cardinal (and newer)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Larry Jaques writes:
On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 03:35:02 -0000, with neither quill nor qualm,
(Chris Lewis) quickly quoth:
Plastic would be _less_ prone to condensation, not more.`

I suggest you research that statement a bit more, Chris. Go get a
plastic glass full of iced tea and let me know if it sweats.

Well, to test his statement, you'd have to fill two pitures, one
plastic and one china and see which, if either, sweats more.
That, or look at the thermal transmission rate for both materials.

(He didn't say it wouldn't, but that it is less likely)

It would be much easier to put an airspace around an inner tank to
insulate the outside of the tank from the cold water, with the
condensate draining into the main bowl. (a double walled tank, kinda
like a vacuum flask.)

--
May no harm befall you,
flip

Posted to alt.home.repair

k.)

at the end of the day, they sell porcelain toilets for 50 bucks, plastic
would probably cost more with no perceived benefit
Posted to alt.home.repair

According to Larry Jaques :
On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 03:35:02 -0000, with neither quill nor qualm,
(Chris Lewis) quickly quoth:

Plastic would be _less_ prone to condensation, not more.`

I suggest you research that statement a bit more, Chris. Go get a
plastic glass full of iced tea and let me know if it sweats.
20:1 you'll be back here in 15 minutes with a full recant.

Recant of what? ;-)

I didn't say that plastic won't sweat, only that it'd be less
likely to sweat than (or sweat as much as) the equivalent
glass/porcelain. Put that iced tea into a porcelain or
glass pitcher. If a plastic pitcher sweats, a glass or porcelain
one will certainly sweat too.

Sweating is a function of how low the temperature of the exterior
of a container gets when filled with a cold liquid.

The thermal conductivity of plastic is less than glass or porcelain.

A refrigerated plastic pop bottle feels warmer than a refrigerated
glass one. At least after it's been in your hand for a few moments.

A cold glass bottle of beer is a lot more emotionally satisfying
than a plastic one after hard work on a hot day. At least until
you open the bottle, and then most of the difference disappears ;-)

Thus, one would expect that, given otherwise identical conditions,
the exterior equilibrium temperature of a plastic container would be
higher than glass or porcelain, and hence sweat less.

Then again, the conditions are probably not identical. Porcelain
toilets have thicker tank walls than plastic ones. Furthermore,
most porcelain toilet tanks these days have insulation - do the
plastic toilets under consideration have it too? If we're comparing
building-code standard household toilets with RV or portable toilets,
probably not, and we're not doing a fair comparison.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est

Posted to alt.home.repair

According to Philip Lewis :

It would be much easier to put an airspace around an inner tank to
insulate the outside of the tank from the cold water, with the
condensate draining into the main bowl. (a double walled tank, kinda
like a vacuum flask.)

"Dewar flasking" it would certainly work, but it's overkill. An
insulating lining in the tank more than suffices in most cases.

[Isn't insulated toilet tanks standard down there? It certainly is
up here. I think you'd be hard-pressed to find any toilet up here,
short of an ultra-cheap model, that's not insulated.]
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est