Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sump pump check valve

I have a basement sump for my basement bathroom. It pumps up about 4'
to the main drain that goes out to my septic. We just bought the house
and I need to put a backflow check valve in it. How far between the
sump and the elbow that goes out should I put the valve? Does it
really matter? Didn't know if it should be down closer to the sump, up
where it goes out, in the middle, etc.?

Thx!

Posted to alt.home.repair

herlihyboy wrote:
I have a basement sump for my basement bathroom. It pumps up about 4'
to the main drain that goes out to my septic. We just bought the house
and I need to put a backflow check valve in it. How far between the
sump and the elbow that goes out should I put the valve? Does it
really matter? Didn't know if it should be down closer to the sump, up
where it goes out, in the middle, etc.?

Thx!

Put it close to the pump, that will prevent the water in the
vertical pipe from falling back into the sump.

There is another issue: That ground water shouldn't be
discharging into the sanitary (septic) line.
It may have been "convenient" when the previous owner
had it done, but it should have a separate drain line
to ???

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

"herlihyboy" wrote in message
ps.com...
I have a basement sump for my basement bathroom. It pumps up about 4'
to the main drain that goes out to my septic. We just bought the house
and I need to put a backflow check valve in it. How far between the
sump and the elbow that goes out should I put the valve? Does it
really matter? Didn't know if it should be down closer to the sump, up
where it goes out, in the middle, etc.?

Thx!

If I am reading this right you have a sewer sump and pump. The closer to
the pump the check valve is the less backflow you will have each time it
cycles. Be sure to make it clear when you are shopping for the valve that it
is for a sewer. There may be differences in the design that I am not aware
of since there will always be some particulate matter in the discharge.

--
Colbyt
One picture can be worth a 1000 words.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Colbyt wrote:

If I am reading this right you have a sewer sump and pump. The closer to
the pump the check valve is the less backflow you will have each time it
cycles. Be sure to make it clear when you are shopping for the valve that it
is for a sewer. There may be differences in the design that I am not aware
of since there will always be some particulate matter in the discharge.

Thank you for picking up on that, Colbyt! I completely missed
the reference to basement bath.

To the OP: Disregard about not connecting to the septic.
Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks, guys.

Questions - Battery Back-up Sump Pump Keith Home Repair 20 January 28th 06 11:43 PM
Sump Pump questions John Home Repair 7 January 5th 06 12:25 AM
Check valve for waste pump Chambers Home Repair 10 July 26th 05 12:13 AM
single check valve pressure drop Matthew Barnard UK diy 1 July 24th 03 08:00 PM