DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Sump pump check valve (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/168797-sump-pump-check-valve.html)

herlihyboy July 10th 06 06:47 PM

Sump pump check valve

I have a basement sump for my basement bathroom. It pumps up about 4'
to the main drain that goes out to my septic. We just bought the house
and I need to put a backflow check valve in it. How far between the
sump and the elbow that goes out should I put the valve? Does it
really matter? Didn't know if it should be down closer to the sump, up
where it goes out, in the middle, etc.?

Thx!

Speedy Jim July 10th 06 07:03 PM

Sump pump check valve

herlihyboy wrote:
I have a basement sump for my basement bathroom. It pumps up about 4'
to the main drain that goes out to my septic. We just bought the house
and I need to put a backflow check valve in it. How far between the
sump and the elbow that goes out should I put the valve? Does it
really matter? Didn't know if it should be down closer to the sump, up
where it goes out, in the middle, etc.?

Thx!

Put it close to the pump, that will prevent the water in the
vertical pipe from falling back into the sump.

There is another issue: That ground water shouldn't be
discharging into the sanitary (septic) line.
It may have been "convenient" when the previous owner
had it done, but it should have a separate drain line
to ???

Jim

Colbyt July 10th 06 08:48 PM

Sump pump check valve

"herlihyboy" wrote in message
ps.com...
I have a basement sump for my basement bathroom. It pumps up about 4'
to the main drain that goes out to my septic. We just bought the house
and I need to put a backflow check valve in it. How far between the
sump and the elbow that goes out should I put the valve? Does it
really matter? Didn't know if it should be down closer to the sump, up
where it goes out, in the middle, etc.?

Thx!

If I am reading this right you have a sewer sump and pump. The closer to
the pump the check valve is the less backflow you will have each time it
cycles. Be sure to make it clear when you are shopping for the valve that it
is for a sewer. There may be differences in the design that I am not aware
of since there will always be some particulate matter in the discharge.

--
Colbyt
One picture can be worth a 1000 words.

Speedy Jim July 10th 06 10:01 PM

Sump pump check valve

Colbyt wrote:

If I am reading this right you have a sewer sump and pump. The closer to
the pump the check valve is the less backflow you will have each time it
cycles. Be sure to make it clear when you are shopping for the valve that it
is for a sewer. There may be differences in the design that I am not aware
of since there will always be some particulate matter in the discharge.

Thank you for picking up on that, Colbyt! I completely missed
the reference to basement bath.

To the OP: Disregard about not connecting to the septic.
Jim

herlihyboy July 10th 06 10:06 PM

Sump pump check valve

Thanks, guys.