Posted to alt.home.repair

Default mismeasured Marvin window replacements?

I ordered an expensive stack of double hung tilt-pack Marvin windows to
replace my leaky aging windows. These were measured by the local supplier
and one size was found to fit most of the windows on my first floor.

This weekend I tried installing the windows and found that they appeared
to be slightly too large - both the vinyl jamb liner was too long for the
frame and the top and bottom sash pairs were made too big.

I only did one room and was able to get around the jamb
liner being too large by carving out a little of the top of the window
frame in an invisible area but the windows themselves are still slightly
too large and the locking mechanisms don't line up.

Anyone had this problem and know what my options are for going back to the
supplier? It seems the vinyl jamb liner and top sash could be cut to fix
the problem but I don't think I should have to do it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

P. Thompson wrote:
I ordered an expensive stack of double hung tilt-pack Marvin windows to
replace my leaky aging windows. These were measured by the local supplier
and one size was found to fit most of the windows on my first floor.

This weekend I tried installing the windows and found that they appeared
to be slightly too large - both the vinyl jamb liner was too long for the
frame and the top and bottom sash pairs were made too big.

I only did one room and was able to get around the jamb
liner being too large by carving out a little of the top of the window
frame in an invisible area but the windows themselves are still slightly
too large and the locking mechanisms don't line up.

Anyone had this problem and know what my options are for going back to the
supplier? It seems the vinyl jamb liner and top sash could be cut to fix
the problem but I don't think I should have to do it.

Why come here first? Should have contacted the supplier when you first
noticed the problem and before you even finished the installation of
the first one. If they did the measurements, the ball was in their
court until you modified something and added to the problem of them now
having multiple non-new units. Now, it's still an issue they should
resolve but it undoubtedly will be more trouble than it would have been
for at least the ones you have unpackaged.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 9 Jul 2006, dpb wrote:

Why come here first? Should have contacted the supplier when you first
noticed the problem and before you even finished the installation of
the first one. If they did the measurements, the ball was in their
court until you modified something and added to the problem of them now
having multiple non-new units. Now, it's still an issue they should
resolve but it undoubtedly will be more trouble than it would have been
for at least the ones you have unpackaged.

Umm, because all this happened yesterday afternoon and they're not open
till Monday and I'd like to call with some ideas of what to ask for.

It was my first effort at putting in windows and I was not convinced that
there was a problem with anything other than the person doing the
installation until after I had one room done. In retrospect, your idea of
stopping early would have been better, but that's water under the bridge
now. I'm not convinced that the installed windows need to be returned,
just remilled on one edge to be about .25" smaller.

I do have nine more windows for four more rooms that are not installed.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

P. Thompson wrote:
On Sun, 9 Jul 2006, dpb wrote:

Why come here first? Should have contacted the supplier when you first
noticed the problem and before you even finished the installation of
the first one. If they did the measurements, the ball was in their
court until you modified something and added to the problem of them now
having multiple non-new units. Now, it's still an issue they should
resolve but it undoubtedly will be more trouble than it would have been
for at least the ones you have unpackaged.

Umm, because all this happened yesterday afternoon and they're not open
till Monday and I'd like to call with some ideas of what to ask for.

I realize that but still going to the supplier is a first step...

It was my first effort at putting in windows and I was not convinced that
there was a problem with anything other than the person doing the
installation until after I had one room done. In retrospect, your idea of
stopping early would have been better, but that's water under the bridge
now. I'm not convinced that the installed windows need to be returned,
just remilled on one edge to be about .25" smaller.

When you had doubts was the time to just stop, take a breath, and get
help from the vendor/supplier...

The problem is that vinyl windows aren't like wood where it is feasible
to mill them. You didn't say whether they're solid vinyl, clad,
whatever. Even if they were solid, that doesn't mean the interior is
nice and solid and shiny if cut and, in fact, it probably wouldn't be.

It is probably easier to modify the opening than to modify the windows
satisfactorily if I had to guess....either way, you need the supplier
to assess the situation. I was simply pointing out if these were a
standard stock opening size, then returning them unopened would be no
major hassle. If they were made specifically made to fit, then either
the measurements were not correct or your installation didn't follow
what was intended by whoever it was that did the measuring. Again,
either way, you need them involved.

Some questions usenet can answer, some situations can provide some
alternate choices/suggestions of what to do--I think this isn't one (at
least yet--if you get stonewalled and told it's not their problem or
something similar, then repost and the legal pundits will help no end
).

W/ a Marvin distributor, I wouldn't expect it but as noted, you may not
get as much satisfaction on the 2nd-thru-nth you installed as the first
and the uninstalled ones simply owing to the fact they _may_ (and I
repeat the "may") have a larger out-of-pocket cost for having had them
installed than they otherwise would have had. Again, that is
conjecture as there simply isn't enough information on the details of
the installation or the windows to tell what solution(s) are practical,
if any, other than replacing the windows.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 9 Jul 2006, dpb wrote:

The problem is that vinyl windows aren't like wood where it is feasible
to mill them. You didn't say whether they're solid vinyl, clad,
whatever. Even if they were solid, that doesn't mean the interior is
nice and solid and shiny if cut and, in fact, it probably wouldn't be.

I had not specified this indeed: the vinyl is limited to the jamb liner
which seems capable of being cut, the windows themselves are wood and
seem capable of being milled.

major hassle. If they were made specifically made to fit, then either
the measurements were not correct or your installation didn't follow
what was intended by whoever it was that did the measuring. Again,
either way, you need them involved.

They were made specifically to fit. The first window I suspected my
installation, the second the measuring. The third I just wanted the damn
room finished. Followed their instructions to the letter; there just
seemed to be no way for the jamb liner to fit as in the instruction sheet
without some modification to the window or jamb liner.