Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default mismeasured Marvin window replacements?

P. Thompson wrote:
I ordered an expensive stack of double hung tilt-pack Marvin windows to
replace my leaky aging windows. These were measured by the local supplier
and one size was found to fit most of the windows on my first floor.

This weekend I tried installing the windows and found that they appeared
to be slightly too large - both the vinyl jamb liner was too long for the
frame and the top and bottom sash pairs were made too big.

I only did one room and was able to get around the jamb
liner being too large by carving out a little of the top of the window
frame in an invisible area but the windows themselves are still slightly
too large and the locking mechanisms don't line up.

Anyone had this problem and know what my options are for going back to the
supplier? It seems the vinyl jamb liner and top sash could be cut to fix
the problem but I don't think I should have to do it.

Why come here first? Should have contacted the supplier when you first
noticed the problem and before you even finished the installation of
the first one. If they did the measurements, the ball was in their
court until you modified something and added to the problem of them now
having multiple non-new units. Now, it's still an issue they should
resolve but it undoubtedly will be more trouble than it would have been
for at least the ones you have unpackaged.