Ed B.

Default How to secure a window after installing a/c

I purchased a Goldstar one room air conditioner from Lowes and
installed it in my home office window. I built a little shelf on the
outside of the window to rest the back of the air conditioner on since
it's too deep to just sit on the window sill. The window it's in is
an old single pane sliding window which opens right to left like a
sliding glass door would. I've put a 3/4" piece of plywood over the
top of the a/c and it fits into the window frame nicely, however I am
woried about someone pushing the a/c or the board out of the window
and getting in the house that way. I have a wood dowel in the window
to keep it from opening any farther, but by removing the a/c you would
still have enough room to get in or to reach in and remove the rod.
What is the best way to secure this window?

Thanks,
Ed B.

Dan O.

Usually a window air conditioner gets screwed to the window frame to
secure it but it sounds likely you have installed a horizontal type
a/c meant for a double hung window and not a casement air conditioner
(see the following link) meant for a side sliding window.

Casement Air Conditioners
http://ng.appliance411.com/data.php?cat=120

I don't know how you'll be able to secure that type of a/c in the
window I assume you have. You could try installing a chain in front of
the unit to prevent it from being pushed *into* the room. I don't know
what you'll be able to do to prevent it from being pulled out. You'll
likely have to use your own ingenuity.

Dan O.
-
Appliance411.com