Posted to alt.home.repair,cakewalk.coffeehouse

Default Skunk problems - YUCK!

In article , sam booka X2 wrote:

In case it sprays...

SKUNK DEODORANT RECIPE

1 Quart of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide

¼ Cup of Baking Soda (Sodium Bicarbonate)

1 Tsp. Liquid Soap (Dish Detergent)

Mix the above together in a plastic bucket and wash the infected object, be
it human, canine, feline, garage, shed, car basement, etc. Make sure you
keep the solution away from eyes, nose and mouth. The skunk odour should
disappear immediately!

ROTFLMAO!!

This product is fast and safe – and best of all, it works!

Nonsense. Clearly, you're just repeating what you read somewhere, and have
never actually tried this yourself. A few years ago, when our dog was sprayed
by a skunk, we found this *exact* recipe on the net and tried it. It didn't do
a damn thing to reduce the odor. Neither did PetSmart's shampoo that was
"guaranteed" to remove skunk scent. PetSmart gave us a refund on that one.

The old home remedy of a bath in tomato juice actually did cut the odor
substantially --- but the only thing that truly works to remove skunk smell is
TIME.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair,cakewalk.coffeehouse

Doug Miller, 7/5/2006, 12:29:30 PM,
m wrote:

The old home remedy of a bath in tomato juice actually did cut the
odor substantially --- but the only thing that truly works to remove
skunk smell is TIME.

How much tomato juice did you get? Did you just rinse the dog
afterwards?
Posted to alt.home.repair,cakewalk.coffeehouse

Doug Miller wrote:
[...]

Maybe skunks in different parts of the
countryt are "made" differently. I have
used the "formula" on our dogs with
great success. I heard this formula was
designed by a chemist and actually
neutraizes the chemical in the spray
that smells (old wives tale?). Tomato
juice only worked a little. Massengel
powder, mixed with water, worked better
than tomato juice and left a nice smell
(along with some residual skunk), but
the "formula", as I said, was best.
Posted to alt.home.repair,cakewalk.coffeehouse

m wrote:

The old home remedy of a bath in tomato juice actually did cut the
odor substantially --- but the only thing that truly works to remove
skunk smell is TIME.

How much tomato juice did you get? Did you just rinse the dog
afterwards?

We always wring out the pooch afterwards and enjoy a refreshing beverage.

malachi

Posted to alt.home.repair,cakewalk.coffeehouse

In article , sam booka X2 wrote:
(Doug Miller) wrote in message
.com:

In article , sam booka X2
wrote:

[...]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skunk

In an episode of the television programme MythBusters, the hydrogen
peroxide mix was found to be the most effective smell removal agent[5].

Like I said -- it's obvious that you are merely repeating what you've read or
been told, and have never actually tried this yourself.

I have.

It doesn't work.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair,cakewalk.coffeehouse

wrote:

The old home remedy of a bath in tomato juice actually did cut the
odor substantially --- but the only thing that truly works to remove
skunk smell is TIME.

How much tomato juice did you get? Did you just rinse the dog
afterwards?

Two cans, of the largest size I could find in the grocery, probably 48 ounces
each. I rinsed the dog afterward, then shampooed and rinsed again, and rinsed,
and rinsed -- took forever to get the tomato juice out of his hair. That would
depend on the breed of dog, too, I'm sure. Ours was an Australian shepherd
(long, fine, dense, fluffy hair). Something with short, coarser hair such as a
beagle or a Labrador retriever might be easier.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair,cakewalk.coffeehouse

In article , Art Todesco wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article , sam booka X2

wrote:

[...]

More likely, your dogs have never gotten the full force and effect of the
skunk's discharge. Ours unquestionably got the whole thing at a range of only
about a yard.

"Eau de skunk" is a blend of a number of malodorous chemicals, some more
volatile than others. A dog that gets sprayed up close, as ours was, gets
everything, whereas one sprayed at a greater distance isn't going to receive
quite the same cocktail.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair,cakewalk.coffeehouse

In article , "K-Bob" wrote:
sam booka X2 could not resist divulging
personally embarrassing information in news:Xns97F76DAEADF5DAlbertaClipper@
199.185.223.74:

In an episode of the television programme MythBusters, the hydrogen
peroxide mix was found to be the most effective smell removal agent[5].

Temp de-lurk.

Get *fresh* hydrogen peroxide. I have used this recipie on a dog sprayed
from less than one foot, full-on (I witnessed it). It most definitely
works,

The peroxide I used was a brand-new bottle, bought specifically for this
purpose.

Didn't do squat.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair,cakewalk.coffeehouse
Sue Sue is offline

In article ,
(Doug Miller) wrote:
Nonsense. Clearly, you're just repeating what you read somewhere, and have
never actually tried this yourself. A few years ago, when our dog was sprayed
by a skunk, we found this *exact* recipe on the net and tried it. It didn't
do
a damn thing to reduce the odor. Neither did PetSmart's shampoo that was
"guaranteed" to remove skunk scent. PetSmart gave us a refund on that one.

The old home remedy of a bath in tomato juice actually did cut the odor
substantially --- but the only thing that truly works to remove skunk smell
is
TIME.

several years ago, 3 skunks got into a fight under the raised fondation
of the house I was renting. (The consensus was 2 males fighthing over a
female). I had to move out and I thought I was going to go out of my
mind everything stank so much, -you name it clothing, bicycles, books
absolutely everything I owned. The landlord poured 11 gallons of
household ammonia under the house which was enough to persuade the
skunks to move out, after a week of traps failed to produce results.

Then a professional cleaning company was hired and they plastic and
taped the house shut and sprayed something like smoke that smelled like
baby powder that was used to clean up after fires in the house. they
treated it twice, that and a carpet shampoo worked miracles. I have a
nose like a blood hound and the smell was essentially gone. I could not
believe it.

The Natures Miracle skunk stuff helped too, but nowhere near as much as
the mystery stuff.
Posted to cakewalk.coffeehouse,alt.home.repair

In article , relpo miraculous wrote:

It works according to Mythbusters. Maybe it was your additional
crossposting stench that it failed to eliminate.

It was me who crossposted the OP inquiry to AHP for some informed advice. Your
comment above was made to the coffeehouse only, but directed at one of the good
people at AHR. I'm forwarding your comment back to AHR so the community there
can see what kinds of liars and cowards we have to deal with here at the
coffeehouse. Say it to the guys face next time, you rude, rude man.

No skin off my nose. He's just proving what I said at the beginning: that he's
only repeating what he read somewhere, and has no first-hand knowledge.

--
Regards,

Posted to cakewalk.coffeehouse,alt.home.repair

mindseye wrote:
relpo miraculous wrote
in :

It was me who crossposted the OP inquiry to AHP for some
informed advice.

This type of crossposting is totally fine by me. I thought it
was actually quite good of you to find the appropriate group
for Rick's problem.

Since it was me who started this thread, I'll chime in here. I DO NOT
appreciate cross-posting, even if (and that's questionable) it's
well-intended. Richie has gone from bad to complete TROLLDOM in my
book.