Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Skunk problems - YUCK!

RobertPatrick wrote in message

Does your town have Animal Control? Call them. I think they might do
something or have ideas.

In my town (CA) the Animal Control will come and take them away once
you've trapped them. Guessing that nobody else has the nerve to get
close to the cage with the skunk inside. ;-)

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair

If you call Animal Control in Connecticut, I've been told they will
kill the animal. So be aware you may be signing its death sentence.
Probably true for all wild animals that they "control". I opened my
garage door 9 days ago and frightened a skunk who ran in and fell into
my grease pit which was five feet deep. I could not get him/her out.
Tried several kinds of home-made ramps. He burrowed into the dirt wall
when I went down once to attempt rescue with a box, disappearing into
the dirt completely. I did not realize he was there again until two
days ago when he must have decided to try to get out but he was stuck.
After feeding & watering it by lowering down dishes on the end of a
hoe, last night we put down a havahart trap with a rope tied in the
handle. This morning we were all relieved that he was caught. We
hauled it up and let him out. In the past we transported a skunk out
of the area in a trap with a tarp over it. Did not know it was illegal
to do so at the time. None has ever sprayed us or our cats. These
animals are harmless and not very bright but not agressive, at least if
they're not rabid. They're very territorial however and even the
babies will fight over a bowl of cat food. The best way is to remove
the skunk miles away but this is illegal.