Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Default Recirculation of air

We have a three story (plus also basement) house.

During hot weather, the upper floors are very considerably warmer
than the bottom floors. That's because, drumroll, hot air tends to
rise up.

The issue, in my mind, is that air does not circulate sufficiently. It
would seem to me that the answer is to somehow suck air from the third
floor into where it is picked up by A/C for cooling, or just to
improve the speed of air circulation in general.

Are there any standard approaches to analyzing this problem. I would
prefer to fully understand the issues involves before making a
decision to hire any outside help.

thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

If you dont have a 3rd floor return you wont cool with the AC. Have one
put in.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 3 Jul 2006 12:15:29 -0500, m Ransley wrote:
If you dont have a 3rd floor return you wont cool with the AC. Have one
put in.

I will check what I have. I do have some sort of opening on 3rd floor,
not sure of its p urpose, but I will check.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I had extra returns put in, in summer I try to close down a bit the
first floor return, it helps.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

On Mon, 03 Jul 2006 16:36:21 GMT, Ignoramus3756
wrote:

We have a three story (plus also basement) house.

During hot weather, the upper floors are very considerably warmer
than the bottom floors. That's because, drumroll, hot air tends to
rise up.

The issue, in my mind, is that air does not circulate sufficiently. It
would seem to me that the answer is to somehow suck air from the third
floor into where it is picked up by A/C for cooling, or just to
improve the speed of air circulation in general.

Are there any standard approaches to analyzing this problem. I would
prefer to fully understand the issues involves before making a
decision to hire any outside help.

thanks

The standard aproach is to start working at a hvac company as an
apprentice. Study hard and work your way up earning your apprentice
liscense, journeymen, masters, refrigeration certification and NATE
testing. Suck in about 10 to 20 yrs of this and you will soon
understand why it "isnt rocket science".
Either that or pay someone qualified to understand your problems.
You can PayPal me $99 per simple question, $150 per involved question
and $250 per technical question. Please, only one question per fee.
:-)
Bubba

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

I had that problem. Installing a return would have been a major project
(like ripping out walls to remove fireblocks) and I even considered
running the return down the side of the house, outside, but that too
would have been a real project. I finally just bought a small window
unit and put it in the third floor; it works pretty well, but we air
condition only about three months a year, so I can afford to have the
second unit running.

Ignoramus3756 wrote:

We have a three story (plus also basement) house.

During hot weather, the upper floors are very considerably warmer
than the bottom floors. That's because, drumroll, hot air tends to
rise up.

The issue, in my mind, is that air does not circulate sufficiently. It
would seem to me that the answer is to somehow suck air from the third
floor into where it is picked up by A/C for cooling, or just to
improve the speed of air circulation in general.

Are there any standard approaches to analyzing this problem. I would
prefer to fully understand the issues involves before making a
decision to hire any outside help.

thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
If you dont have a 3rd floor return you wont cool with the AC. Have
one put in.

I will check what I have. I do have some sort of opening on 3rd floor,
not sure of its p urpose, but I will check.

For sure check. It could be a laudry chute.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

You enjoying yourself bubba?
You are a misfit to society and you cant read......he said he was going to
hire a professional. he wasn't talking to you ok.

wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

wrote:

[...]

Surely, there is no substitute for experience. On the other hand, it
is helpful to understand "the issues" before talking to
professionals. As you know, some of them are not looking after my
interests, they only want to sell expensive goods and services. So
when talking to such professionals, it helps to know what one needs
and what one does not need.

Example, a few years ago lightning took out our A/C. I asked this
newsgroup, messed around with a multimeter to realize that a
particular board was at fault (speed controller, IIRC). I invited a
"professional", and asked him to check things out before making
recommendations. He promptly suggested to replace pretty much all
electronics. I asked him what is the basis for his conclusion, he
mumbled some nonsense, and it was clear that he was a liar or
unqualified.

Then we invited another A/C guy, who replaced the board that I knew
was bad, (he confirmed what I said) and the A/C is working to date at
1/3 the cost of what the first "professional" would cost.

So, yes, it does help to ask questions.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

"Ignoramus3756" wrote in message
We have a three story (plus also basement) house.

During hot weather, the upper floors are very considerably warmer
than the bottom floors. That's because, drumroll, hot air tends to
rise up.

The issue, in my mind, is that air does not circulate sufficiently. It
would seem to me that the answer is to somehow suck air from the third
floor into where it is picked up by A/C for cooling, or just to
improve the speed of air circulation in general.

Are there any standard approaches to analyzing this problem. I would
prefer to fully understand the issues involves before making a
decision to hire any outside help.

thanks

The easiest thing to try first is to switch your thermostat fan control from
AUTO to ON. This will run the circulating fan continously and can make a
large difference.

Don Young

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

On Mon, 3 Jul 2006 21:38:58 -0500, Don Young wrote:

[...]

Unfortunately, it is already set this way. I will try to verify
whether the ON setting is, in fact, working (easiest to do on a cool
morning). Maybe the issue is that I set it to ON, but it is not in
fact ON.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

wrote:

The standard aproach is to start working at a hvac company as an
apprentice. Study hard and work your way up earning your apprentice
liscense, journeymen, masters, refrigeration certification and NATE
testing. Suck in about 10 to 20 yrs of this and you will soon
understand why it "isnt rocket science".
Either that or pay someone qualified to understand your problems.
You can PayPal me $99 per simple question, $150 per involved question
and $250 per technical question. Please, only one question per fee.

All joking aside, it si good o get some training in the field.
Somepoeple can learn in six months, others take years.
Aptitudes vary greatly. Desire helps, as it is a driving force
(motivation), but it isn't enough, alone, without aptitude and a
degree of hands-on experience. Just sitting in a classroom for two
yearswon't cut it. Apprenticeship training can be excellent,
DEPENDING on WHO you are working alongsind and who you are working
under. Some fig trees bear little or no fruit.

So it is in any field.

10 or 20 years? No way. Unless the trainee is dumb as a box of
nails.

--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

wrote:

[...]

10 or 20 years meaning:....................
you will always learn something new almost everyday. It never stops.
If one thinks they know it all, they are full of _ _ _ _ .
Bubba
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

and absolutely NO ONE gives a rats ass what you think or say so get
off your knees. I dont need your services.
Bubba

wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Dont waist your time today whith this group..........it is full of scared techs
trying to scare the DYI people into calling a tech first.....they been ripping
people off for years and are afraid when people DIY they find out how ripped off
they were.
Bubba if you had any confidence in your business you would share your info with
the average guy......that would prove your sincerity.......dont worrie you would
still get some work from the ones that screw up. When I used to repair tv's I
allways told them how to do DIY if they wanted? Sooner or later they came back
to me anyways.
But when they came back they knew why they got charged what they got charged
for.
Some still bitched why I would charge 15 bucks for a front panel display
light........
I would just point at the lights overhead.

wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

"Ignoramus3756" wrote in message
We have a three story (plus also basement) house.

During hot weather, the upper floors are very considerably warmer
than the bottom floors. That's because, drumroll, hot air tends to
rise up.

The issue, in my mind, is that air does not circulate sufficiently. It
would seem to me that the answer is to somehow suck air from the third
floor into where it is picked up by A/C for cooling, or just to
improve the speed of air circulation in general.

Are there any standard approaches to analyzing this problem. I would
prefer to fully understand the issues involves before making a
decision to hire any outside help.

thanks

You have a typical problem in a vertical dwelling. Try running the fan "on"
for continuous circulation, make sure to keep the filter clean. Close a few
vents in the lower floor/s in cooling season and the opposite in heating
season... otherwise, you are probably in need of additional return ductwork
on the upper floors.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

I was on an install a couple years back. We were working in a rather
hot attic, and they had a powered roof vent installed as part of the
job. We got it wired in, musta made twenty degrees difference in the
attic temp.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"daytona" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

daytona wrote:
Look into installing a power roof vent with t-stat..has help many a
people

Energy studies show that if the home has a properly insulated attic the
installation of a power vent will not decrease air conditioning energy
cost enough to pay for the operation of the power vent fan.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Travis Jordan wrote:
daytona wrote:
Look into installing a power roof vent with t-stat..has help many a
people

Energy studies show that if the home has a properly insulated attic the
installation of a power vent will not decrease air conditioning energy
cost enough to pay for the operation of the power vent fan.

Travis,

That is true in new construction where the attic is properly ventilated
by continuous ridge and soffit vents. It is NOT the case on many
buildings of older design.

We've done some solar-powered vent in INDIANA that seem to work well,
provided that attic is also properly insulated and leaks between the
conditioned spaces and the attic are minimized.

Jake

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Ignoramus3756 wrote:

We have a three story (plus also basement) house.

During hot weather, the upper floors are very considerably warmer
than the bottom floors. That's because, drumroll, hot air tends to
rise up.

The issue, in my mind, is that air does not circulate sufficiently. It
would seem to me that the answer is to somehow suck air from the third
floor into where it is picked up by A/C for cooling, or just to
improve the speed of air circulation in general.

Are there any standard approaches to analyzing this problem. I would
prefer to fully understand the issues involves before making a
decision to hire any outside help.

thanks

I have a home just like that, www.hvactalkforum.com

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

And that shows exactly how much of a clue you have. Ive never
kill-filled anyone. No need to. Sharpen your brain and try again.
Bubba

On Tue, 04 Jul 2006 18:23:21 GMT, no one that you know
wrote:

I thought you kill filed me?
Proves you are a troll?

wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

On Tue, 04 Jul 2006 22:52:28 GMT, "Travis Jordan"
wrote:

daytona wrote:
Look into installing a power roof vent with t-stat..has help many a
people

Energy studies show that if the home has a properly insulated attic the
installation of a power vent will not decrease air conditioning energy
cost enough to pay for the operation of the power vent fan.

Not doubting you a bit but if you could point "me/we/us" to that
Energy Study it sure might prove interesting.
Bubba
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

wrote:

[...]

This might be the place to ask your question

www.airconditioner-help.com

Take your spam and shove it up your ass spammer.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
I was on an install a couple years back. We were working in a rather
hot attic, and they had a powered roof vent installed as part of the
job. We got it wired in, musta made twenty degrees difference in the
attic temp.

Have you been on ANYTHING in the last day?
All your posts start, "A couple of years ago"

At least you stopped pretending to be your boss.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"daytona" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Like fine wines, memories improve with time.

I've both been a boss and an employee. Which are you referring?

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"aka-SBM" wrote in message
news
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
I was on an install a couple years back. We were working in a rather
hot attic, and they had a powered roof vent installed as part of the
job. We got it wired in, musta made twenty degrees difference in the
attic temp.

Have you been on ANYTHING in the last day?
All your posts start, "A couple of years ago"

At least you stopped pretending to be your boss.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 16:15:37 GMT, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Like fine wines, memories improve with time.

I've both been a boss and an employee. Which are you referring?

Deciding where to drive your Pinto wagon / work truck on
side-jobs doesn't count as being a 'boss', you top-posting ****ing
idiot.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"aka-SBM" wrote in message
news
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
.. .
I was on an install a couple years back. We were working in a rather
hot attic, and they had a powered roof vent installed as part of the
job. We got it wired in, musta made twenty degrees difference in the
attic temp.

Have you been on ANYTHING in the last day?
All your posts start, "A couple of years ago"

At least you stopped pretending to be your boss.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

'With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.'
HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's
Free demo now available online http://pmilligan.net/palm/
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

posted for all of us...
I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

wrote:

Like fine wines, memories improve with time.

I've both been a boss and an employee. Which are you referring?

Deciding where to drive your Pinto wagon / work truck on
side-jobs doesn't count as being a 'boss', you top-posting ****ing
idiot.

He's boss of the reclaiming crew. He stops at the old window shakers on the
curb and throws them in the back o' the Pinto to resell the parts. Split units
he just cannibalizes on spot. The only other bossing he does is when he tells
the old ladies to hide in the bedroom to shield themselves from the door jamb
shrapnel..
--
Tekkie