Posted to alt.home.repair
Peachy

Default Cutler Hammer fused disconnect switch repair

I have a Cutler Hammer fused disconnect switch on the outside of my
home which serves the Heat pump. How do i access the fuses on the
switch? When I pull out the panel, I don't see fuses.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Big Al

"Peachy" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a Cutler Hammer fused disconnect switch on the outside of my
home which serves the Heat pump. How do i access the fuses on the
switch? When I pull out the panel, I don't see fuses.

If there is a square thing with a wire loop handle, pull it out and the
fuses are in it. Be sure the AC is off before you pull it.

Al

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia

Peachy wrote:

I have a Cutler Hammer fused disconnect switch on the outside of my
home which serves the Heat pump. How do i access the fuses on the
switch? When I pull out the panel, I don't see fuses.

Are you SURE it's a fused disconnect and not an unfused "pull out"
disconnect?

You don't need fuses in a disconnect if there's a properly sized breaker
in the line ahead of it, servicing just the Heat Pump.

The disconnect is just there to protect service people who open it to
make damn sure there's no power to the unit and to protect them against
some clod inside the house deciding to reclose the breaker without
warning them.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Peachy" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a Cutler Hammer fused disconnect switch on the outside of my
home which serves the Heat pump. How do i access the fuses on the
switch? When I pull out the panel, I don't see fuses.

If your disconnect is designed in such a way as a block of plastic attached
to a little wire pullout come out of the box completely.......then the fuse
will either be in that part that stays in your hand, or there may not be any
fuses. Some of these disconnect switches are not fused at all, except at
the breaker from the supply panel source.

Look carefully at the raised lettering on the pull out part. Many of them
are designed so that you can turn them over and put them back in to keep the
device disconnected while being serviced. They are isolation switches for
safety only. Most of them are designed to be pulled out only when the power
is off and not to be pulled out under a load.

Randy R. Cox