Posted to alt.home.repair
Randy Cox Randy Cox is offline

Default Cutler Hammer fused disconnect switch repair

"Peachy" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a Cutler Hammer fused disconnect switch on the outside of my
home which serves the Heat pump. How do i access the fuses on the
switch? When I pull out the panel, I don't see fuses.

If your disconnect is designed in such a way as a block of plastic attached
to a little wire pullout come out of the box completely.......then the fuse
will either be in that part that stays in your hand, or there may not be any
fuses. Some of these disconnect switches are not fused at all, except at
the breaker from the supply panel source.

Look carefully at the raised lettering on the pull out part. Many of them
are designed so that you can turn them over and put them back in to keep the
device disconnected while being serviced. They are isolation switches for
safety only. Most of them are designed to be pulled out only when the power
is off and not to be pulled out under a load.

Randy R. Cox