Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed

Default Where the black powder comes from?

2-3 month ago, We noticed the AC filter was covered with black powder. In
the past week we noticed the same black stuff by the base board every where
on the second floor. We have a two story house and AC ducts are between the
2 floors.

What this black powder can be and what I can do it about it?

Thanks,

Posted to alt.home.repair
Eigenvector

--

I'm thinking it's actually black powder. Obviously either the wife or the
neighbors don't like the poster. I hope no one smokes around them...

Seriously, I can't think of anything else that it could be - except as you
noted mold.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Shopdog

Stachybotrys chartarum (atra) this is what it sounds like to me. You need
to find and destroy all of this mold.

Searcher

Posted to alt.home.repair
No

Ed wrote:
2-3 month ago, We noticed the AC filter was covered with black powder. In
the past week we noticed the same black stuff by the base board every where
on the second floor. We have a two story house and AC ducts are between the
2 floors.

What this black powder can be and what I can do it about it?

Thanks,

Could also be soot and not mold. Do you burn candles, incense or smoke
in the house? Just burning candles can do this actually. Clean it up
with a vacuum and see if it returns.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
news

"CJT" wrote in message
Ed wrote:

2-3 month ago, We noticed the AC filter was covered with black powder.
In the past week we noticed the same black stuff by the base board every
where on the second floor. We have a two story house and AC ducts are
between the 2 floors.

What this black powder can be and what I can do it about it?

Thanks,

mold?

--

I'm thinking it's actually black powder. Obviously either the wife or the
neighbors don't like the poster. I hope no one smokes around them...

Seriously, I can't think of anything else that it could be - except as you
noted mold.

Thanks everyone for the responses.

We do burn candle. If it is soot, why we see it only around the baseboard of
upstair?

Here are a few more facts:

- We changed upstair carpet about 1-2 years ago. Before that, we did not
notice any problem.
- The black powder does not go away with vacuum.
- The door to one of the bedrooms upstair is closed. The only way the air
can get out is from under the door. There a black strip just under the door
which I am sure is the same material. This spot cannot be cleaned with
carpet cleaning materials. Even a professional carpet cleaner that we hire
for downstair count not get it out.
- I can see the material even around the baseboard in small closet in the
bedroom. I assume the closet does not have much circulation.

Do you think the material come from the space between 1st and 2nd floor from
the baseboard, from under the carpet, or from candle burning?

What should my next step be?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Eigenvector

"CJT" wrote in message
Ed wrote:

[...]

I don't know what your next step should be, but it certainly isn't from a
candle burning and producing soot - unless your house resembles a Catholic
Church!

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT

"CJT" wrote in message

Ed wrote:

[...]

Have you tried looking it under a magnifying glass?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed

"Darren" wrote in message
ps.com...

[...]

Ed,

Lowe's and Home Depot carry a mold detection kit. I'd suggest getting
one and finding out if this is the problem. If not, then that is one
less thing it could be.

JD

Thanks, JD. Very good suggestion. I was not aware of such a kit.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

What should my next step be?

I don't know what your next step should be, but it certainly isn't from a
candle burning and producing soot - unless your house resembles a Catholic
Church!

You would be amazed how much crap candles put into the air.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Ed is offline

"Darren" wrote in message
ps.com...

[...]

I followed JD suggestion. After 4 days, there was one spot with a green
circle surrounded with white circle. I thought that should be fine and one
is normal. Then I took some of black substance from the air filter and put
in the mold detection kit and after 2 days they have started growing. So
there is mold in the house.

I changed the filter about 7-10 days ago (I use EnergyAire MERV 7 filter
from WalMart) and put the A/C fan on On (not auto). I checked about 4 days
ago and the filters were fine. I changed the A/C fan to auto yesterday.
Today I checked the filter and there were black. I am sure the Auto/On was
by accident.

So, I still have mold. Whom should I call? Is there a good national company
or should I find a local one? How do I look for one and what I should look
for?

Sorry for these many questions. I am not familiar with this situation and I
want to take care of this ASAP. I think my wife's daily headache is due to
the mold.

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

ED,

I dont' know of any company in particular, I'm sure they'll be listed
under the yellow pages. Another option would be to contact your local
fire department. Many times after they've saved a house from fire,
someone has to come in and take care of cleaning up and removing the
smells and water from the house. Your local health department might
also be of some assistance in this case.

JD

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Darren wrote:

[...]

http://www.cdc.gov/mold/cleanup.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair
RDW RDW is offline

Ed,

I changed the filter about 7-10 days ago (I use EnergyAire MERV 7
filter from WalMart)

EnergyAire filters are designed to be energy-efficient, low-restriction
filters and don't do a very good job of removing mold spores from the
air. I would suggest using filters with a higher MERV rating. The
higher the rating, the better it filters the air.

I would suggest either the 3M Filtrete Ultra Allergen Reduction Filter
(MERV 11), a Lysol Elite Filter (MERV 12), or an Accumulair Diamond
filter (MERV 12).

Look at the Filters-now website for more information. Here's the link:

FILTERS-NOW.com, Inc

If that link doesn't work with your browser, type filters-now.com in a
search engine and you should be able to find it.

I hope this helps.
Ron

Best way to remove rust from black oxide? DeepDiver Metalworking 23 October 6th 17 06:18 AM
Using sheet metal, particle board, or drywall screws in wood, and help finding source for black wood screws John2005 Woodworking 10 June 19th 06 04:35 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Removing powder coating from ali sheet? [email protected] Metalworking 4 December 8th 04 06:40 PM