Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Ed is offline

Default Where the black powder comes from?

"Darren" wrote in message
ps.com...

Thanks everyone for the responses.

We do burn candle. If it is soot, why we see it only around the baseboard
of
upstair?

Here are a few more facts:

- We changed upstair carpet about 1-2 years ago. Before that, we did not
notice any problem.
- The black powder does not go away with vacuum.
- The door to one of the bedrooms upstair is closed. The only way the air
can get out is from under the door. There a black strip just under the
door
which I am sure is the same material. This spot cannot be cleaned with
carpet cleaning materials. Even a professional carpet cleaner that we
hire
for downstair count not get it out.
- I can see the material even around the baseboard in small closet in the
bedroom. I assume the closet does not have much circulation.

Do you think the material come from the space between 1st and 2nd floor
from
the baseboard, from under the carpet, or from candle burning?

What should my next step be?

Ed,

Lowe's and Home Depot carry a mold detection kit. I'd suggest getting
one and finding out if this is the problem. If not, then that is one
less thing it could be.

JD

I followed JD suggestion. After 4 days, there was one spot with a green
circle surrounded with white circle. I thought that should be fine and one
is normal. Then I took some of black substance from the air filter and put
in the mold detection kit and after 2 days they have started growing. So
there is mold in the house.

I changed the filter about 7-10 days ago (I use EnergyAire MERV 7 filter
from WalMart) and put the A/C fan on On (not auto). I checked about 4 days
ago and the filters were fine. I changed the A/C fan to auto yesterday.
Today I checked the filter and there were black. I am sure the Auto/On was
by accident.

So, I still have mold. Whom should I call? Is there a good national company
or should I find a local one? How do I look for one and what I should look
for?

Sorry for these many questions. I am not familiar with this situation and I
want to take care of this ASAP. I think my wife's daily headache is due to
the mold.

TIA