Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt

Default Few very basic Electrical questions

"SMF" wrote in message
news
Hi,

I bought a book plus spent a number of hours on the computer to
research and I hope someone can help me with just a few very basic
questions I still have:

1. I have a 100 amp service. If I turn off the main circuit breaker
can I change for instance a 20 amp breaker without worry of shock if I
don't touch anything else other than the breaker and the wire that
needs to be unscrewed? (I have a few that don't match my GE panel and
I heard that they should)

2. I had an electrician once run an extra outlet but in looking a few
years later I see that he ran 14/2 cable after attaching this to 12/2
running off a 20 amp breaker. This line either powers a treadmill
(runs on a "115 vac dedicated 20 amp {15 amp] circuit") or a iron.
The receptacle is 15amp which I believe is fine with either, but
should I swap the cable to 12/2 for safety?

3. I also have similar to question two above (14/2, connected to
12/2) going to a GPF in a garage that the same guy did. Do they make
a 20 amp GPF and should I switch the cable and the receptacle in this
instance too?

4. Can you run a series of five 15 amp receptacles for a workbench in
an unfinished basement running on 12/2 on a 20 amp GPF breaker?

I really appreciate all your help!!

Best Regards,
Steven

No license here so I don't have to cya.

1. You should test it first with a simple tester but the normal answer is
that all the breakers and everything below the main breaker is safe to touch
with the main turned off. The juice stops inside the main breaker. The lugs
above the main breaker are still HOT.

2. I would because de-rating the wire is only allowed (or was allowed) when
there is no possibility that it could ever pull more than it was designed
for. Example: you wire a single light fixture with 14/2 at the end of a 20
amp circuit.

3. I think they do at a premium price. I would most likely change the wire
and leave the GFIC as it is.

4. 20 amp circuits by code require 20 amp devices. There really is no
defined limit to the number of devices. The 15 amp ones will most likely
work fine and be safe but they are not "to code". Would I use them? Yes
because in normal usage you are never going to pull 20 amps.

Your breakers must be rated and tested for the panel they are installed in
to meet code.You may want to check the breakers before you go to the trouble
to change them. They may be rated for your box. That said there are
millions of breakers in boxes all around the world that do not meet that
standard. The vast majority of them are perfectly safe and work as they
should.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller

In article , "Colbyt" wrote:

4. 20 amp circuits by code require 20 amp devices. There really is no
defined limit to the number of devices. The 15 amp ones will most likely
work fine and be safe but they are not "to code".

Incorrect.

The NEC explicitly permits the use of 15A receptacles on a 20A circuit. See
Article 210.21(B)(3).

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair
James \Cubby\ Culbertson

"Colbyt" wrote in message

4. 20 amp circuits by code require 20 amp devices. There really is no
defined limit to the number of devices. The 15 amp ones will most likely
work fine and be safe but they are not "to code". Would I use them? Yes
because in normal usage you are never going to pull 20 amps.

I might add that you should check your "local" code as well. Mine for
instance limits the number
of devices (a receptacle being one device) on a single circuit to 10. As
well, 15A receptacles on a 20 A circuit are allowed by the NEC but
for the small difference in price, I'd just install the 20A recepts.
Cheers,
cc

Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. com...
In article , "Colbyt"
wrote:

4. 20 amp circuits by code require 20 amp devices. There really is no
defined limit to the number of devices. The 15 amp ones will most likely
work fine and be safe but they are not "to code".

Incorrect.

The NEC explicitly permits the use of 15A receptacles on a 20A circuit.
See
Article 210.21(B)(3).

--
Regards,

Thanks for the info Doug. All these years I thought I was cheating. I
based my assumption on what I saw done in commercial installs. Some of that
stuff might have pulled 17 amps on startup so I guess that is why they went
with all 20's.

Colbyt