Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Do air conditioner units need to be level?

I have a house that has settled a bit and my a/c units outside are not
level. I would say they are at 5-10 degrees from level. My
brother-in-law tells me I shoulod fix this. Is there any truth to
this? If so why?

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a house that has settled a bit and my a/c units outside are not
level. I would say they are at 5-10 degrees from level. My
brother-in-law tells me I shoulod fix this. Is there any truth to
this? If so why?

Can I assume they are window or through the wall units? There is a
condensate pan in them and the water is collected and goes to the fan that
will sling it onto the coil. This evaporates the water so it does not drip
and helps to cool the unit. A few degrees is not a big deal, but if you see
dripping, do something about it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Shopdog

I believe that OP is talking about outside central air units. I couldn't
fathom window units not being level without window closure problems.
I have been before and can be wrong now, but that is what I get from it. I
don't think level is critical here although leveling them really shouldn't
be too much of a problem. A pry bar and 4x4 piece should help raise the
desired side, them pitch in some sand and recheck for level. I am assuming
that the unit is sitting on a concrete slab. If not the "feet" can be
levelled by using appropriate concrete pavers. Be carfeul not to rack the
frame OR twist/bend or mishape the freon lines, you may not have alot of
play with them so be careful.

Searcher

Posted to alt.home.repair

Shopdog wrote:
I believe that OP is talking about outside central air units. I couldn't
fathom window units not being level without window closure problems.
I have been before and can be wrong now, but that is what I get from it. I
don't think level is critical here although leveling them really shouldn't
be too much of a problem. A pry bar and 4x4 piece should help raise the
desired side, them pitch in some sand and recheck for level. I am assuming
that the unit is sitting on a concrete slab. If not the "feet" can be
levelled by using appropriate concrete pavers. Be carfeul not to rack the
frame OR twist/bend or mishape the freon lines, you may not have alot of
play with them so be careful.

Searcher

thanks...they are outside central air units and i will do the pry bar
trick and get them closer to level!!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank Boettcher

On 12 Jun 2006 16:44:15 -0700, "
wrote:

I have a house that has settled a bit and my a/c units outside are not
level. I would say they are at 5-10 degrees from level. My
brother-in-law tells me I shoulod fix this. Is there any truth to
this? If so why?

Thanks.

If you are talking about an outside condensor unit for a split or a
packaged unit, check the bottom of the pan after a good rain and see
if water is collecting in any area. If so you should level it to make
sure that it drains off properly. If it is a packaged unit, make sure
you check and reseal the supply and return duct work after you level
the unit. You may break them loose.

Frank

Laser Level Help Steve Home Repair 8 August 16th 05 11:51 PM
Expected Noise Level of Various Air Conditioners [email protected] Home Repair 15 June 16th 05 04:30 PM
South Bend 2 Collar Method/ Starrett Level [email protected] Metalworking 3 March 8th 05 01:35 PM
level mystery Silvan Woodworking 37 January 31st 05 12:55 AM
IKEA base units wont fit other stores worktops 8( tez UK diy 6 December 12th 04 11:28 PM