Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT

Default Do air conditioner units need to be level?

wrote:
I have a house that has settled a bit and my a/c units outside are not
level. I would say they are at 5-10 degrees from level. My
brother-in-law tells me I shoulod fix this. Is there any truth to
this? If so why?

Thanks.

I suspect that if it's not level, the bearings will be loaded unevenly
and can wear faster. I think they're designed to be level. Small
deviations probably don't make much difference. I know that when we
had our most recent one installed, the guy who did the work seemed to
think it was important -- he spent quite a bit of time making sure
it was level, and I wasn't paying him by the hour.