Posted to alt.home.repair
Ignoramus17503

Default GOOD toilet that flushes in ONE flush?

Our toilets do not flush very well. Meaning that it may take 2 or more
flushes to really flush the ****. The tanks properly fill and properly
release water, but it seems as though there is just not enough of
water to do the job right.

Obvious jokes aside, are there any toilets that flush very well (other
than commercial style toilets that seem to have vacuum). What is a
characteristic that we should look for? Tank volume?

thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bert Byfield

Our toilets do not flush very well. Meaning that it may take 2 or
more flushes to really flush the ****. The tanks properly fill and
properly release water, but it seems as though there is just not
enough of water to do the job right.

Toilets used to have 3-gallon tanks. Then the ecology people got a
law passed that made 3-gallaon toilets illegal (to buy new). Now we
are saving water. I guess they need a new law to make it illegal to
flush twice, but that is another issue.

Obvious jokes aside, are there any toilets that flush very well
(other than commercial style toilets that seem to have vacuum).
What is a characteristic that we should look for? Tank volume?

A 3-gallon tank might still be found at auctions and such. eBay?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ignoramus17503

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 15:05:18 GMT, Bert Byfield wrote:
Our toilets do not flush very well. Meaning that it may take 2 or
more flushes to really flush the ****. The tanks properly fill and
properly release water, but it seems as though there is just not
enough of water to do the job right.

Toilets used to have 3-gallon tanks. Then the ecology people got a
law passed that made 3-gallaon toilets illegal (to buy new). Now we
are saving water. I guess they need a new law to make it illegal to
flush twice, but that is another issue.

Good joke, and what you said makes a lot of sense.

Obvious jokes aside, are there any toilets that flush very well
(other than commercial style toilets that seem to have vacuum).
What is a characteristic that we should look for? Tank volume?

A 3-gallon tank might still be found at auctions and such. eBay?

Are you saying that I can no longer buy a 3-5 gallon tank? That's kind
of outrageous.

Posted to alt.home.repair
cm

Buy a Toto Drake and you will be very pleased. This toilet blows away any
other toilet in its priced range. We are paying just under $200.00 here in
AZ.

Craig

"Ignoramus17503" wrote in message
Our toilets do not flush very well. Meaning that it may take 2 or more
flushes to really flush the ****. The tanks properly fill and properly
release water, but it seems as though there is just not enough of
water to do the job right.

Obvious jokes aside, are there any toilets that flush very well (other
than commercial style toilets that seem to have vacuum). What is a
characteristic that we should look for? Tank volume?

thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ignoramus17503

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 16:13:45 GMT, cm wrote:
Buy a Toto Drake and you will be very pleased. This toilet blows away any
other toilet in its priced range. We are paying just under $200.00 here in
AZ.

Thanks. Do you know what makes it better than others?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

Ignoramus17503 wrote:

Our toilets do not flush very well. Meaning that it may take 2 or more
flushes to really flush the ****. The tanks properly fill and properly
release water, but it seems as though there is just not enough of
water to do the job right.
Obvious jokes aside, are there any toilets that flush very well (other
than commercial style toilets that seem to have vacuum). What is a
characteristic that we should look for? Tank volume?
thanks.

I bought 2 of the new low water volume toilets (Kohler) when I
remodeled. Boy, was I ****ed at the performance! Then I noticed in
Lowes that they sold separate flappers for LV and standard tanks. On a
whim, I replaced the LV flapper with a standard flapper and it made a
big difference. Not quite like the old tanks, but a LOT better than it
came out of the box. One flush now works about 90% of the time versus
about 20% before.
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
cm

All the passageways are smooth porcelain and maybe engineered for better
flow. There was a thread in the past month or so that had a link to Canadian
and US government toilet testing and the Toto Drake did very well.

Craig

"Ignoramus17503" wrote in message
On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 16:13:45 GMT, cm wrote:
Buy a Toto Drake and you will be very pleased. This toilet blows away any
other toilet in its priced range. We are paying just under $200.00 here
in
AZ.

Thanks. Do you know what makes it better than others?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Budman

Ignoramus17503 wrote:
Our toilets do not flush very well. Meaning that it may take 2 or more
flushes to really flush the ****. The tanks properly fill and properly
release water, but it seems as though there is just not enough of
water to do the job right.

Obvious jokes aside, are there any toilets that flush very well (other
than commercial style toilets that seem to have vacuum). What is a
characteristic that we should look for? Tank volume?

thanks

American Standard, Champion model.

There are other brands that do well also - I just have first hand
experience with this one.

One thing to keep in mind is that many of these "mega flush" type
models don't clean the bowl as well as regular toilets, and can be
noisy during flushing (this may or may not matter to you).

Good luck,
Budman

Posted to alt.home.repair
Paul

Our toilets do not flush very well. Meaning that it may take 2 or more
flushes to really flush the ****. The tanks properly fill and properly
release water, but it seems as though there is just not enough of
water to do the job right.

Obvious jokes aside, are there any toilets that flush very well (other
than commercial style toilets that seem to have vacuum). What is a
characteristic that we should look for? Tank volume?

Kohler Wellworth is a good choice. I've replaced 2 of our terrible early
90's era low flow toilets with these and am very pleased. I have also tried
the American Standard Champion, it's also very good, but does not wash down
the bowl as well as the Wellworth. The Champion also has a loud "clunk"
when the handle is pressed that takes some getting used to. I ended up
replacing it with a Wellworth because the Champion required constant bowl
cleaning.

-- Paul

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Ignoramus17503 wrote:
Our toilets do not flush very well. Meaning that it may take 2 or more
flushes to really flush the ****. The tanks properly fill and properly
release water, but it seems as though there is just not enough of
water to do the job right.

Obvious jokes aside, are there any toilets that flush very well (other
than commercial style toilets that seem to have vacuum). What is a
characteristic that we should look for? Tank volume?

thanks

In the old days just about any design would flush with all the water
they used. Today they are required to use less water. Not a bad idea.
However in order to work well, they need to be well designed. Look for a
trap size larger than 2 inches and a fully glazed trap. While there are a
number of other factors, you are not likely to find one that fits those two
things that does not flush well. The unglazed 1¾ traps don't do well.

You do not need to spend a lot of money. Many of the very expensive
models have poor mechanical designs, but they look fancy and that is what
tends to sell them.

You can also check out Consumer Reports and other rating sources.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
James \Cubby\ Culbertson

"Ignoramus17503" wrote in message
Our toilets do not flush very well. Meaning that it may take 2 or more
flushes to really flush the ****. The tanks properly fill and properly
release water, but it seems as though there is just not enough of
water to do the job right.

Obvious jokes aside, are there any toilets that flush very well (other
than commercial style toilets that seem to have vacuum). What is a
characteristic that we should look for? Tank volume?

thanks

Look into toilets by Toto. I put a couple in my house about a year ago and
since then, I've lost my plunger.

http://www.cwwa.ca/pdf_files/MaP%206...010%202006.pdf

cheers,
cc

Posted to alt.home.repair

The OLD style flushers are still available BRAND NEW on e bay from
canada.

To the OP did your toilets work OK for years and then go bad? or did
they never work good?

if you use a bucket of water do they flush well?

if they used to work good and dont anymore but work good with a bucket
theres a 5 buck fix you can try before replacing the toliets.

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

By and large, the most important spec is the trap diameter. Many have 1.5"
and they are the ones that clog. 1.75" is better but 2" seems to be the
largest. I got an Elger one piece toilet with a 2" trap and it has never
clogged yet.

"Ignoramus17503" wrote in message
Our toilets do not flush very well. Meaning that it may take 2 or more
flushes to really flush the ****. The tanks properly fill and properly
release water, but it seems as though there is just not enough of
water to do the job right.

Obvious jokes aside, are there any toilets that flush very well (other
than commercial style toilets that seem to have vacuum). What is a
characteristic that we should look for? Tank volume?

thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tim Killian

Ignoramus17503 wrote:
Our toilets do not flush very well. Meaning that it may take 2 or more
flushes to really flush the ****. The tanks properly fill and properly
release water, but it seems as though there is just not enough of
water to do the job right.

Obvious jokes aside, are there any toilets that flush very well (other
than commercial style toilets that seem to have vacuum). What is a
characteristic that we should look for? Tank volume?

thanks

Toto. They cost more and they are worth it. We have three and in 2+
years there has only been one clog.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

PipeDown wrote:
By and large, the most important spec is the trap diameter. Many
have 1.5" and they are the ones that clog. 1.75" is better but 2"
seems to be the largest. I got an Elger one piece toilet with a 2"
trap and it has never clogged yet.

http://www.americanstandard-us.com/p...&prodID=162 5

2 3/8" fully glazed trap.

"Ignoramus17503" wrote in
message ...
Our toilets do not flush very well. Meaning that it may take 2 or
more flushes to really flush the ****. The tanks properly fill and
properly release water, but it seems as though there is just not
enough of water to do the job right.

Obvious jokes aside, are there any toilets that flush very well
(other than commercial style toilets that seem to have vacuum). What
is a characteristic that we should look for? Tank volume?

thanks

Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller

In article , Ignoramus17503 wrote:
Our toilets do not flush very well. Meaning that it may take 2 or more
flushes to really flush the ****. The tanks properly fill and properly
release water, but it seems as though there is just not enough of
water to do the job right.

Obvious jokes aside, are there any toilets that flush very well (other
than commercial style toilets that seem to have vacuum). What is a
characteristic that we should look for? Tank volume?

Flush volume. Any toilet made before the ridiculous 1.6-gallon limit took
effect flushes just fine -- and as far as I know, they are still legal for
sale in Canada.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On 12 Jun 2006 09:33:17 -0700, "Bob" wrote:

I bought 2 of the new low water volume toilets (Kohler) when I
remodeled. Boy, was I ****ed at the performance! Then I noticed in
Lowes that they sold separate flappers for LV and standard tanks. On a
whim, I replaced the LV flapper with a standard flapper and it made a
big difference. Not quite like the old tanks, but a LOT better than it
came out of the box. One flush now works about 90% of the time versus
about 20% before.

That's very strange. Do you have ANY idea what the difference is in
the flappers?

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207

Budman wrote:
Ignoramus17503 wrote:
Our toilets do not flush very well. Meaning that it may take 2 or more
flushes to really flush the ****. The tanks properly fill and properly
release water, but it seems as though there is just not enough of
water to do the job right.

Obvious jokes aside, are there any toilets that flush very well (other
than commercial style toilets that seem to have vacuum). What is a
characteristic that we should look for? Tank volume?

thanks

American Standard, Champion model.

There are other brands that do well also - I just have first hand
experience with this one.

One thing to keep in mind is that many of these "mega flush" type
models don't clean the bowl as well as regular toilets, and can be
noisy during flushing (this may or may not matter to you).

Good luck,
Budman

Although I'm a little embarassed to admit it........I tend to notice
toilet brands & how well (or poorly) they preform.

Based on my unscientific study the toliet the Budman suggests is
probably the only low water usage toilet that worked......

Champion model. by American Standard is the only one I would buy. Get
this model you will be pleased with it..

Rather impressive since my 1930 house house the original American
Standard toilets.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob (but not THAT Bob)

cm wrote:

All the passageways are smooth porcelain and maybe engineered for better
flow. There was a thread in the past month or so that had a link to Canadian
and US government toilet testing and the Toto Drake did very well.

Craig

Here's the test report:

http://www.cuwcc.org/uploads/product...on-2-10-06.pdf
Posted to alt.home.repair
Rudy

Obvious jokes aside, are there any toilets that flush very well

Our 3 Kohler Wellworth 'Comfort height' elongated bowl toilets work well.
We also had them in our last house we built in 1998.
They were highly rated then and all 6 have done a great job for us. I'd buy
them again.

I read that the Toto pressure tank ones work well too but they were more
expensive.

Posted to alt.home.repair

A two hole outhouse always flushes.........

Otherwise find and old used toilet from the 1960's or older.
None of the new toilets flush well. You are supposed to save water,
so instead of using 7 gallons like the older toilets, you only use 4
gallons, and after you flush twice, you use 8.
It took a 20 year college educated professional to figure this would
save water and the government was so happy to mandate this nonsense.
I bet they have reams of pages explaining all of this too....

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 14:31:05 GMT, Ignoramus17503
wrote:

Our toilets do not flush very well. Meaning that it may take 2 or more
flushes to really flush the ****. The tanks properly fill and properly
release water, but it seems as though there is just not enough of
water to do the job right.

Obvious jokes aside, are there any toilets that flush very well (other
than commercial style toilets that seem to have vacuum). What is a
characteristic that we should look for? Tank volume?

thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ignoramus24559

wrote:

Obvious jokes aside, are there any toilets that flush very well (other
than commercial style toilets that seem to have vacuum). What is a
characteristic that we should look for? Tank volume?

You have gotten good replies. Toiletology 101 may also help:
http://www.toiletology.com/index.shtml

great site, thanks a lot!

Posted to alt.home.repair
James \Cubby\ Culbertson

wrote in message
A two hole outhouse always flushes.........

Otherwise find and old used toilet from the 1960's or older.
None of the new toilets flush well.

I disagree. My Toto's flush very well.
Cheers,
cc

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bert Byfield

Our toilets do not flush very well. Meaning that it may take 2 or
more flushes to really flush the ****. The tanks properly fill
and properly release water, but it seems as though there is just
not enough of water to do the job right.

A trick to use on a regular 1.5 gallon tank is to hold the handle down
until enough water enters the bowl to make a whirlpool and carry
everything away.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik

"James \"Cubby\" Culbertson" wrote in
:

wrote in message
A two hole outhouse always flushes.........

Otherwise find and old used toilet from the 1960's or older.
None of the new toilets flush well.

I disagree. My Toto's flush very well.
Cheers,
cc

You might want to consider a Flapperless toilet,Google will find the site.
I've had one in my apartment for 5 years with only a rare need for a double
flush. There's hardly anything to go wrong with them.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posted to alt.home.repair
~^Johnny^~

wrote:

You have gotten good replies. Toiletology 101 may also help:
http://www.toiletology.com/index.shtml

ROTFL!

On their intro page, it reads:
"Please come in and find a seat"

I doubt if the pun was intended.

--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , wrote:

You pee 5 times a day, you **** once in 1-2 days. It makes sense to
conserve water on those pee flushes. The slight inconvenience of
having potentially flush twice far outweights the gallons of water
wasted on those pee flushes.

Seems to make perfect sense to me.

Raymond

In calif in the early 80's, I heard this:

If its brown, flush it DOWN;

if its yellow, let it mellow.

Now, this question:

Using your (or equivalently the above) suggestion, I recall
that some kind of smelly urine-slime would accumulate (under
the water) on the sides of the bowl.

So you were always having to use the toilet-bowl brush.

Question:

That chemical soap-bar-like thing you hang in the
tank, that turns the water blue -- does that eliminate
the problem?

And, in general, what *do* that blue stuff do for you?

Thanks,

David

Posted to alt.home.repair

In the last three years we have installed 5 Toto "Drake" ADA height 2
piece toilets, two in our home and 3 in rental units, replacing a
variety of newer (less than 5 years old) units.

These were all locations were I had been plunging frequently, I've not
had to plunge any of these bathrooms since - the difference is really
quite remarkable.

Michael Thomas
Paragon Home Inspections, LLC
Chicago, IL
mdtATparagoninspectsDOTcom
8four7-475-5668

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 15:17:49 -0500, JimL wrote:
On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 15:27:03 -0400, Goedjn wrote:

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 18:50:09 +0000 (UTC), (David
Combs) wrote:

In article , wrote:

[...]

Mostly, it screws up the flush-mechanism.

Very true.

You want to shorten the life of every item in the tank, then use
those blue things.

What flush mechanism? The only moving part is the flapper over the hole
from tank to bowl. There are no moving part for the siphon that starts the
flush once there is enough water in the bowl and there are no passages
under 2" in diameter. Are you suggesting that there's a full inch of
accumulation on all the walls of the water going from bowl to drain? Are you
proposing that tank filling water valve is somehow affected by stuff in the water,
that that stuff somehow migrates past 90psi of water shooting past the
valve?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
What flush mechanism? The only moving part is the flapper over the hole
from tank to bowl. There are no moving part for the siphon that starts the
flush once there is enough water in the bowl and there are no passages
under 2" in diameter.

It plugs the holes in the bowl part... so that the water
cannot leave the tank back fast enough to create a good siphon/rinse.

I'm thinking that might be one thing wrong with our upstairs loo.
(wife used to put them in until i told her about the problems)

--
May no harm befall you,
flip

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
What flush mechanism? The only moving part is the flapper over the hole
from tank to bowl. There are no moving part for the siphon that starts the
flush once there is enough water in the bowl and there are no passages
under 2" in diameter.

It plugs the holes in the bowl part... so that the water
cannot leave the tank back fast enough to create a good siphon/rinse.

No it doesn't. It is just bleach and food coloring. If a turd
from a 400lb man won't clog it, neither will some food coloring.
Posted to alt.home.repair

AZ Nomad writes:
It plugs the holes in the bowl part... so that the water
cannot leave the tank back fast enough to create a good siphon/rinse.

No it doesn't. It is just bleach and food coloring. If a turd
from a 400lb man won't clog it, neither will some food coloring.

i'm not talking about the bowl to sewer connection, I'm talking
about the jets which allow the tank to empty into the bowl.

don't take my word for it:
http://www.toiletology.com/blue-goo.shtml

--
May no harm befall you,
flip
In my email replace SeeEmmYou.EeeDeeYou with CMU.EDU

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
What flush mechanism? The only moving part is the flapper over the hole
from tank to bowl. There are no moving part for the siphon that starts
the
flush once there is enough water in the bowl and there are no passages
under 2" in diameter.

It plugs the holes in the bowl part... so that the water
cannot leave the tank back fast enough to create a good siphon/rinse.

I'm thinking that might be one thing wrong with our upstairs loo.
(wife used to put them in until i told her about the problems)

--
May no harm befall you,
flip
In my email replace SeeEmmYou.EeeDeeYou with CMU.EDU

We have a vacation house where the toilets are getting clogged at the rim
with hard water deposits. The guy at the hardware store suggested we use
2000 flushes in the bowl to clear it, I wanted to use a little muriatic
acid. The 2000 flushes made it worse, a lot worse. I got rid of the 2000
flushes and flushed the toilet about a dozen times each time adding a couple
of tablespoons of muriatic acid to the tank The tank had already needed an
overhaul prior to this as there was a constant leak into the bowl partly
because the flapper didnt seat properly and partly because the valve would
not shut off. The acid made easy work of the clogged rim and the overhaul
stopped the wasted water. I am happy.