Posted to alt.home.repair

Default The state of our country

Well as of now whats your opinion? We have the war in Iraq, congressmen
on the take, the feds monitoring every phone number we call, every
internet keystroke and e mail, no doubt theres a master database for
each ands every one of us.

A national ID card is sure to come to stamp out illegals. combing a
AVID chip refering to our retina scan, photo, fingerprints and SS
number, and DNA sample. That avid chip could be easily used to ID
people as they pass by any location.

Now we know the feds have black prisons, approve of torture, permanent
detention without due process.

basically is Bush doing a good job?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan C

On Sat, 03 Jun 2006 02:05:25 +0000, Tony Hwang wrote:

basically is Bush doing a good job?

Negligible unemployment, roaring economy, lower taxes, no terrorist
attacks since 9/11, and so on.
All in all, I'd have to say America is in better shape.

I know laughing is a good medicine. People like you provide that for
other cool headed crowd. Thanks,

I can assure you that I'm quite a bit better off today than I was 5 years
ago. No question about it.

Now, for folks like you working for minimum wage, it probably does suck.
Of course, it's easier to blame GWB than yourself, isn't it?

Linux Registered User #327951

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message

Well as of now whats your opinion?

My opinion is that you just want to stir up crap on a newsgroup. I'm sure
the political groups would be happy to discuss it with you.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mrsgator88

"badgolferman" wrote in message

...lower taxes...

Apparently you don't pay property taxes.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sacramento Dave

wrote in message
ups.com...
Well as of now whats your opinion? We have the war in Iraq, congressmen
on the take, the feds monitoring every phone number we call, every
internet keystroke and e mail, no doubt theres a master database for
each ands every one of us.

A national ID card is sure to come to stamp out illegals. combing a
AVID chip refering to our retina scan, photo, fingerprints and SS
number, and DNA sample. That avid chip could be easily used to ID
people as they pass by any location.

Now we know the feds have black prisons, approve of torture, permanent
detention without due process.

basically is Bush doing a good job?

Basically who cares? It's to late he's in. Politicians I don't lie except
about lying.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang

Dan C wrote:

On Sat, 03 Jun 2006 02:05:25 +0000, Tony Hwang wrote:

basically is Bush doing a good job?

Negligible unemployment, roaring economy, lower taxes, no terrorist
attacks since 9/11, and so on.
All in all, I'd have to say America is in better shape.

I know laughing is a good medicine. People like you provide that for
other cool headed crowd. Thanks,

I can assure you that I'm quite a bit better off today than I was 5 years
ago. No question about it.

Now, for folks like you working for minimum wage, it probably does suck.
Of course, it's easier to blame GWB than yourself, isn't it?

Hmmm,
I am outside U.S. Retired comfortably have everything I need/want.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Cheri

wrote in message

Well as of now whats your opinion?

My opinion is that you just want to stir up crap on a newsgroup. I'm

sure
the political groups would be happy to discuss it with you.

Agree, unless GW is for hire to paint my kitchen, this is the wrong
newsgroup. ;-)

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sacramento Dave wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
Well as of now whats your opinion? We have the war in Iraq, congressmen
on the take, the feds monitoring every phone number we call, every
internet keystroke and e mail, no doubt theres a master database for
each ands every one of us.

A national ID card is sure to come to stamp out illegals. combing a
AVID chip refering to our retina scan, photo, fingerprints and SS
number, and DNA sample. That avid chip could be easily used to ID
people as they pass by any location.

Now we know the feds have black prisons, approve of torture, permanent
detention without due process.

basically is Bush doing a good job?

Basically who cares? It's to late he's in. Politicians I don't lie except
about lying.

I spend a good bit of time answering questions on this board. if you
dont care dont comment. sure its somewhat OT but so are lots of other
posts. I just wondered what others who hang out think, and wether iraq
will effect the next congressional election?

I am concerned someone hacking my wireless network could visit a porn
site or terrorist connection and get me picked up, perhaps without duer
process, without a search warrant etc.

heck they might torture me, to find out what I know which would be ZIP.
The lack of concern for the loss of constitional protections has me
very worried for the future.

heck if they can track so much why not just put microphones in every
home? after all its for our protection.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Noozer

Now we know the feds have black prisons, approve of torture, permanent
detention without due process.

basically is Bush doing a good job?

Basically who cares? It's to late he's in. Politicians I don't lie
except
about lying.

I spend a good bit of time answering questions on this board.

Then you should know well enough to take the coversation to a group where it
isn't off topic

Posted to alt.home.repair
RobertM

. ..

wrote in message

Well as of now whats your opinion?

My opinion is that you just want to stir up crap on a newsgroup. I'm

sure
the political groups would be happy to discuss it with you.

Agree, unless GW is for hire to paint my kitchen, this is the wrong
newsgroup. ;-)

Cheri

Maybe he thinks the White House is in need of repair?

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
digitalmaster

"mrsgator88" wrote in message
. com...
"badgolferman" wrote in message

...lower taxes...

Apparently you don't pay property taxes.

run for city council or county commissioner..that's who controls your
property taxes.The question was is bush doing a good job? your property
taxes are not controlled by him.I think property tax should be outlawed.Why
should I pay rent to the government for something I already own?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Noozer

run for city council or county commissioner..that's who controls your
property taxes.The question was is bush doing a good job? your property
taxes are not controlled by him.I think property tax should be
outlawed.Why should I pay rent to the government for something I already
own?

As off topic as this is...

....you don't pay rent. You pay for sewer lines, and a paved street in front
of your home and garbage pickup and snow plows, etc...

Although property taxes really should be based on the number of occupants,
not the value of the home.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Gammon

Noozer wrote:
run for city council or county commissioner..that's who controls your
property taxes.The question was is bush doing a good job? your property
taxes are not controlled by him.I think property tax should be
outlawed.Why should I pay rent to the government for something I already
own?

As off topic as this is...

...you don't pay rent. You pay for sewer lines, and a paved street in front
of your home and garbage pickup and snow plows, etc...

Although property taxes really should be based on the number of occupants,
not the value of the home.

Lets not forget police, fire protection, schools (although that is a
separate property tax in some areas), libraries, courts, storm water
drainage system (separate from sewer - and REQUIRED in some areas)

All of our tax system federal down to local, is almost always a
progressive tax. Those who can afford to pay more, generally do. Live
in a big expensive house, the theory is, you can afford to pay more tax
than someone living in a 750sq ft shack built in 1955 that looks like it
is ready to fall down. You are by yourself in the 6000 sq ft mansion
worth $2.5M, and 5 people share the 750 sq ft shack. Who should pay
more tax??????

Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren

On 2 Jun 2006 20:18:51 -0700, "
wrote:

I am concerned someone hacking my wireless network could visit a porn
site or terrorist connection and get me picked up, perhaps without duer
process, without a search warrant etc.

See alt.internet.wireless

I'd be more concerned about the 20 plus million veteran records being
used for identity theft, after they were lost.

heck they might torture me, to find out what I know which would be ZIP.
The lack of concern for the loss of constitional protections has me
very worried for the future.

Heck they might even convict you of a felony. In that case, you still
do not lose Constitutional rights, only civil rights - can't vote, own
guns, etc.

heck if they can track so much why not just put microphones in every
home? after all its for our protection.

The sound card in your computer can already be hacked and used as a
listening device, as can your land-line phone.

Finally, any home repair questions?

Oren

excused from saving Universes."
Posted to alt.home.repair
Kurt Ullman

In article ,
Oren wrote:

Finally, any home repair questions?

When the SWAT team knocks down my door. What kind of replacement
should I get??? (G).
Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren

On Sat, 03 Jun 2006 13:12:34 GMT, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

In article ,
Oren wrote:

Finally, any home repair questions?

When the SWAT team knocks down my door. What kind of replacement
should I get??? (G).

One with a "peep" hole.

Oren

excused from saving Universes."

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan C

On Sat, 03 Jun 2006 12:04:48 +0000, Noozer wrote:

run for city council or county commissioner..that's who controls your
property taxes.The question was is bush doing a good job? your property
taxes are not controlled by him.I think property tax should be
outlawed.Why should I pay rent to the government for something I already
own?

...you don't pay rent. You pay for sewer lines, and a paved street in front
of your home and garbage pickup and snow plows, etc...

Not quite accurate. I pay a *seperate* bill for sewer service and garbage
pickup. I suppose the taxes pay for the sewer pipes that were put in, but
how many years does it take to pay that off?

Although property taxes really should be based on the number of occupants,
not the value of the home.

Hard to evaluate the number of occupants, and it can change pretty easily.

Linux Registered User #327951

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Dan C" wrote in message

Not quite accurate. I pay a *seperate* bill for sewer service and garbage
pickup. I suppose the taxes pay for the sewer pipes that were put in, but
how many years does it take to pay that off?

Although property taxes really should be based on the number of
occupants,
not the value of the home.

There is no one perfect way to assess taxes. A quiet family of six will put
less strain on the public systems that a a couple on welfare with a wife
beating husband where the police come out on a weekly basis to haul hiss ass
to jail overnight. Should snow plowing be assesed on the number of cars you
own, the distance you drive, or the street frontage of your property?

If you promise not to go out after dark should you still pay for street
lighting? If you don't drive should you pay for street repairs?

Don't get me started on the waste in our shool budgets.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I am concerned someone hacking my wireless network could visit a porn
site or terrorist connection and get me picked up, perhaps without duer
process, without a search warrant etc.
heck they might torture me, to find out what I know which would be ZIP.

Aren't you taking this a bit far? No US citizen has been arrested
without a search warrant. Nor has any US citizen been tortured. If
some terrorist was using my wireless network for illegal purposes and
it were uncovered, I would expect to be questioned by the FBI.

heck if they can track so much why not just put microphones in every
home? after all its for our protection.

Thats how it started in Germany in the 1930's.

Good German people acceptd the changes
for the good of the people, the state, their security.

And in 1945, we blamed them for doing it.

rj
Posted to alt.home.repair
unknown

On 03 Jun 2006 00:37:24 GMT, "badgolferman"
wrote:

, 6/2/2006,8:23:11 PM, wrote:

basically is Bush doing a good job?

Negligible unemployment, roaring economy, lower taxes, no terrorist
attacks since 9/11, and so on.

And no giant mutant octopi roaming the streets and sucking out
people's brains.

All in all, I'd have to say America is in better shape.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren

On Sat, 03 Jun 2006 12:30:30 -0500, unknown
wrote:

Negligible unemployment, roaring economy, lower taxes, no terrorist
attacks since 9/11, and so on.

And no giant mutant octopi roaming the streets and sucking out
people's brains.

Finally, somebody gets it.

All in all, I'd have to say America is in better shape.

Life is good.

Oren

They have computers, and they may have other weapons of mass destruction.
Janet Reno, Attorney General, Friday, February 27, 1998

Posted to alt.home.repair
Buck Turgidson

Negligible unemployment, roaring economy, lower taxes, no terrorist
attacks since 9/11, and so on.

All in all, I'd have to say America is in better shape.

Sure. If I ran my credit cards up to the limit, bought plasma TVs, new cars,
luxury cruises, etc, life would be good.

But who is going to pay the bills?

That's what this government has done. Your grandkids will pay for the "good
times".

Janet Reno, Attorney General, Friday, February 27, 1998
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Negligible unemployment, roaring economy, lower taxes, no terrorist
attacks since 9/11, and so on.

All in all, I'd have to say America is in better shape.

Sure. If I ran my credit cards up to the limit, bought plasma TVs, new cars,
luxury cruises, etc, life would be good.

Get a date. Work hard, save and also have fun. Cut up the cards, plan
for the plasma, pay off the car before you retire, enjoy the cruise.

Life is good....

But who is going to pay the bills?

Mrs "Buck Turgidson"?

That's what this government has done. Your grandkids will pay for the "good
times".

Honestly tell me now that you have sat down with your grand kids and
discussed financial planning.

Janet Reno, Attorney General, Friday, February 27, 1998

Your grandkids???
Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren

On Sat, 03 Jun 2006 18:28:10 GMT, Kurt Ullman

Janet Reno, Attorney General, Friday, February 27, 1998

Your grandkids???

Keyboard to chair malfunction. This was sent to soon, meant the next
post.

Janet Reno, Attorney General, Friday, February 27, 1998

Posted to alt.home.repair
mrsgator88

"digitalmaster" wrote in message
news

"mrsgator88" wrote in message
. com...
"badgolferman" wrote in message

...lower taxes...

Apparently you don't pay property taxes.

run for city council or county commissioner..that's who controls your
property taxes.The question was is bush doing a good job? your property
taxes are not controlled by him.I think property tax should be
outlawed.Why should I pay rent to the government for something I already
own?

Local governments receive a certain amount of federal dollars. As federal
taxes are lowered, local governments receive less federal money. To make up
the difference, property taxes are increased.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Kurt Ullman

In article ,
"mrsgator88" wrote:

Local governments receive a certain amount of federal dollars. As federal
taxes are lowered, local governments receive less federal money. To make up
the difference, property taxes are increased.

Depends on the state and how hard they make it raise taxes. Also,
I have yet to see anything remotely resembling a 1:1 increase in state
taxes resulting from a decrease in Feds.
Posted to alt.home.repair
ameijers

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message
In article ,
"mrsgator88" wrote:

Local governments receive a certain amount of federal dollars. As

federal
taxes are lowered, local governments receive less federal money. To

make up
the difference, property taxes are increased.

Depends on the state and how hard they make it raise taxes. Also,
I have yet to see anything remotely resembling a 1:1 increase in state
taxes resulting from a decrease in Feds.

I know this is off-topic for the group, but I can't resist jumping in here.
Why should money for local functions go through Washington, so they can skim
their 20% off the top? If it is money for local government functions and
infrastructure, it should be paid by local taxes. This whole 'federal aid'
thing is a scam. 40+ years of this 'free' federal money has resulted in way
too much power flowing to DC, and Federal usurpation of functions that
should be done at the local, county, and state levels. He who has all the
gold makes all the rules, etc.

rant mode off

And to throw in a little to keep this on topic- last year, the township I am
in decided to build a new fire station/municipal building. They also, on the
fourth try on a non-standard election day, finally got a bond issue approved
to pay for it. Last week, I got a letter stating they would be coming around
to re-assess my house, and that I could expect them when they knocked at my
door. I just replaced the HVAC, and the roofer starts Monday. Are these PM
replacements likely to bump my assessment even more than they would likely
raise it anyway?

I've got a folder from when I bought this place last year, showing what all
the actual sale prices on this loop-street subdivision were for the last
several years. Should I make a point of mentioning that if I am home when
they do their walkaround? I know what the nearby houses are worth, so they
shouldn't try pulling a number out of their ass?

aem sends....

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"ameijers" wrote in message
This whole 'federal aid'
thing is a scam. 40+ years of this 'free' federal money has resulted in
way
too much power flowing to DC, and Federal usurpation of functions that
should be done at the local, county, and state levels. He who has all the
gold makes all the rules, etc.

It is a way of getting things approved. Uneducated voters will vote against
a particular item if it is funded locally, but the idions will vote "yes" if
the state or feds pick up 80% of htthe e cost. See, we're getting a good
deal. Just try to explain where that state or fed money is coming from and
they give you a blank stare.

rant mode off

Last week, I got a letter stating they would be coming around
to re-assess my house, and that I could expect them when they knocked at
my
door. I just replaced the HVAC, and the roofer starts Monday. Are these PM
replacements likely to bump my assessment even more than they would likely
raise it anyway?

Assessment is often required by law every 5 or 10 years. Normal upkeep
should not affect anything. Adding rooms, adding a bath or pool will. You
will probably find each house on the block to be very close to each other if
no major changes have taken place. Most of the work is done by independent
companies that have no interest in giving you a higher or lower than normal
assessment. They have also heard every lame excuse too.

Assessment does not always mean a tax increase. If every property in town
is doubles, the mil rate of the taxes would be cut in half. It does make
for corrections if industrial property changes in relationship to
residential though.

Posted to alt.home.repair
JimR

"ameijers" wrote in message
This whole 'federal aid'
thing is a scam. 40+ years of this 'free' federal money has resulted in
way
too much power flowing to DC, and Federal usurpation of functions that
should be done at the local, county, and state levels. He who has all the
gold makes all the rules, etc.

It is a way of getting things approved.

[snip]

It also helps cover the local cost of meeting new federal mandates,
requirements which originate in Washington and direct local governments to
do something but without providing funds for the task.

Posted to alt.home.repair
ameijers

k.net...

"ameijers" wrote in message
This whole 'federal aid'
thing is a scam. 40+ years of this 'free' federal money has resulted in
way
too much power flowing to DC, and Federal usurpation of functions that
should be done at the local, county, and state levels. He who has all

the
gold makes all the rules, etc.

It is a way of getting things approved.

[snip]

It also helps cover the local cost of meeting new federal mandates,
requirements which originate in Washington and direct local governments to
do something but without providing funds for the task.

And if the local governments say No, exactly what can Washington do about
it? Cut off the money they stole in the first place?

Well, there is always the nuclear options- IIRC, the state legislatures,
acting in concert, do have the theoretical power to call another
constitutional convention, even against Congress' wishes. I know it'll never
happen, and I shudder to think of what else they might change, but methinks
somebody does need to remind Congress about who works for who.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT

Dan C wrote:
On Sat, 03 Jun 2006 02:05:25 +0000, Tony Hwang wrote:

basically is Bush doing a good job?

Negligible unemployment, roaring economy, lower taxes, no terrorist
attacks since 9/11, and so on.
All in all, I'd have to say America is in better shape.

I know laughing is a good medicine. People like you provide that for
other cool headed crowd. Thanks,

I can assure you that I'm quite a bit better off today than I was 5 years
ago. No question about it.

Then you're one of the few.

Now, for folks like you working for minimum wage, it probably does suck.
Of course, it's easier to blame GWB than yourself, isn't it?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"JimR" wrote in message

It also helps cover the local cost of meeting new federal mandates,
requirements which originate in Washington and direct local governments to
do something but without providing funds for the task.

But it is still OUR money. School boards complain about unfunded mandates,
but in reality, they want them so they can continue to build an empire with
taxpayer money, no matter the source. Sooner or later people will realize
it takes more than money to educate children, but for not, they will just
keep asking for more money.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mrsgator88

Assessment does not always mean a tax increase. If every property in town
is doubles, the mil rate of the taxes would be cut in half.

Not exactly true. In Illinois, taxing districts have the option to
"capture" assessment increases. A typical example is when a 2 bedroom ranch
is converted into 5 bedroom McMansion. Taxing bodies can be set up to use
that increased assessment to collect more money.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mrsgator88

"mrsgator88" wrote:

Local governments receive a certain amount of federal dollars. As
federal
taxes are lowered, local governments receive less federal money. To make
up
the difference, property taxes are increased.

Depends on the state and how hard they make it raise taxes. Also,
I have yet to see anything remotely resembling a 1:1 increase in state
taxes resulting from a decrease in Feds.

Thats because:

1) as Federal funding decreases, local governments cut back on spending, and

2) local governments raise taxes in very subtle ways, nickle-and-diming the
average Joe six-pack, and sticking it to businesses so that Joe six-pack is
less aware of it. The money still has to come from somewhere.

The End of Pensions -- But Keep Voting for Republicans as You Spend Your Golden Years in a Cardboard Box on the Street Cliff Metalworking 175 November 7th 05 08:17 PM
Gatling gun Tom Wait Metalworking 47 October 19th 05 01:01 PM
A challenge for old house lovers Mike Mitchell UK diy 322 September 30th 04 12:29 AM