Posted to alt.home.repair
ameijers

Default The state of our country

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message
In article ,
"mrsgator88" wrote:

Local governments receive a certain amount of federal dollars. As

federal
taxes are lowered, local governments receive less federal money. To

make up
the difference, property taxes are increased.

Depends on the state and how hard they make it raise taxes. Also,
I have yet to see anything remotely resembling a 1:1 increase in state
taxes resulting from a decrease in Feds.

I know this is off-topic for the group, but I can't resist jumping in here.
Why should money for local functions go through Washington, so they can skim
their 20% off the top? If it is money for local government functions and
infrastructure, it should be paid by local taxes. This whole 'federal aid'
thing is a scam. 40+ years of this 'free' federal money has resulted in way
too much power flowing to DC, and Federal usurpation of functions that
should be done at the local, county, and state levels. He who has all the
gold makes all the rules, etc.

rant mode off

And to throw in a little to keep this on topic- last year, the township I am
in decided to build a new fire station/municipal building. They also, on the
fourth try on a non-standard election day, finally got a bond issue approved
to pay for it. Last week, I got a letter stating they would be coming around
to re-assess my house, and that I could expect them when they knocked at my
door. I just replaced the HVAC, and the roofer starts Monday. Are these PM
replacements likely to bump my assessment even more than they would likely
raise it anyway?

I've got a folder from when I bought this place last year, showing what all
the actual sale prices on this loop-street subdivision were for the last
several years. Should I make a point of mentioning that if I am home when
they do their walkaround? I know what the nearby houses are worth, so they
shouldn't try pulling a number out of their ass?

aem sends....