Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water Softeners

We are in the market for a new water softener. We tried repairing our
old one but it got too expensive so we are going to buy a new one. So
far the only two brands we've seen are Whirlpool at Lowe's and GE's at
Home Depot. Does anyone know anything about these? The price seems
dictated by how many gallons it will treat...but we don't know anyone
who has used these brands of water softeners. Thanks. We would like
one that will last at least five years.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
ups.com...
We are in the market for a new water softener. We tried repairing our
old one but it got too expensive so we are going to buy a new one. So
far the only two brands we've seen are Whirlpool at Lowe's and GE's at
Home Depot. Does anyone know anything about these? The price seems
dictated by how many gallons it will treat...but we don't know anyone
who has used these brands of water softeners. Thanks. We would like
one that will last at least five years.

Why not get one that will last 10 or 20 years? Consider
http://www.ecowater.com/ among other good brands. Look for a dealer on
their web site or the hone book. we use one at work and put a minimum of
8,000 gallons a day, sometimes as high as 14,000 gallons a day through it.
Last week it had its first repair in five y ears of service and it took just
a couple of minutes. Considering the design and simple modular parts
replacement, I expect to get another 10 years out of it, maybe more.

Lowes and HD tend to sell mediocre bands at the lowest possible price, not
the best overall value. Shop around.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Posted to alt.home.repair
Rich

wrote in message
ups.com...
We are in the market for a new water softener. We tried repairing our
old one but it got too expensive so we are going to buy a new one. So
far the only two brands we've seen are Whirlpool at Lowe's and GE's at
Home Depot. Does anyone know anything about these? The price seems
dictated by how many gallons it will treat...but we don't know anyone
who has used these brands of water softeners. Thanks. We would like
one that will last at least five years.

Water Boss would get my vote. I had one that was so great the only problem
was I would forget to add salt it was so efficient and only generated on
demand.

Rich

Posted to alt.home.repair

It's a Water Boss we are replacing. Bought it in 2001. After ordering
a series of parts that didn't help, we have decided to just stop and
instead of getting another more expensive part, to just get a new
water softener. Glad you had better luck with yours....

Rich wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
We are in the market for a new water softener. We tried repairing our
old one but it got too expensive so we are going to buy a new one. So
far the only two brands we've seen are Whirlpool at Lowe's and GE's at
Home Depot. Does anyone know anything about these? The price seems
dictated by how many gallons it will treat...but we don't know anyone
who has used these brands of water softeners. Thanks. We would like
one that will last at least five years.

Water Boss would get my vote. I had one that was so great the only problem
was I would forget to add salt it was so efficient and only generated on
demand.

Rich

Posted to alt.home.repair
Rich

The only thing I ever had to do to mine was the timer they have a plastic
gear there to act as a mechanical fuse it fails so the clock doesn't stall
and burn out cost $8 to replace and was golden for a few years after that.
What parts did you need to replace? I found the unit so easy to work on it
was worth the effert to fix. But I guess YMMV?

Good luck, Rich

wrote in message
ups.com...
It's a Water Boss we are replacing. Bought it in 2001. After ordering
a series of parts that didn't help, we have decided to just stop and
instead of getting another more expensive part, to just get a new
water softener. Glad you had better luck with yours....

Rich wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
We are in the market for a new water softener. We tried repairing our
old one but it got too expensive so we are going to buy a new one. So
far the only two brands we've seen are Whirlpool at Lowe's and GE's at
Home Depot. Does anyone know anything about these? The price seems
dictated by how many gallons it will treat...but we don't know anyone
who has used these brands of water softeners. Thanks. We would like
one that will last at least five years.

Water Boss would get my vote. I had one that was so great the only
problem
was I would forget to add salt it was so efficient and only generated on
demand.

Rich

Posted to alt.home.repair
SJF

wrote in message
ups.com...
We are in the market for a new water softener. We tried repairing our
old one but it got too expensive so we are going to buy a new one. So
far the only two brands we've seen are Whirlpool at Lowe's and GE's at
Home Depot. Does anyone know anything about these? The price seems
dictated by how many gallons it will treat...but we don't know anyone
who has used these brands of water softeners. Thanks. We would like
one that will last at least five years.

You should read the thread at --

http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=174318

My GE unit failed as indicated after two years. I got it fixed as indicated
in posted item #12 and have my fingers crossed that additional wear might
bring a repeat of the problem. Two previous units, not GE, averaged twenty
years each with some minor DIY repair.

Most of the softeners sold at retail stores branded GE, Sears, Wal-Mart, etc
use the same control valve. Similar problems have been reported for the
Sears units.

Before the fix, I searched for presumably more reliable units and found --

http://www.qualitywatertreatment.com..._softeners.htm

which has Fleck 5600 units for about $500. I have no experience with this
firm, but purchase using a credit card should be pretty safe.

SJF

Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Gammon

SJF wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

[...]

Fleck like several mfgs, offer units with timers, and units with demand
driven regeneration. Demand driven is more flexible as it only
refreshes the resin when needed, and may save several regens a month.

I have a Economizer 5600 after the previous unit failed due to a
lightning strike on the power lines. We have had it for over 4 years
and no problems with it at all, other than getting it to regnerate when
we want, we think that it does it too often.

Posted to alt.home.repair
SJF

"Robert Gammon" wrote in message
. com...
SJF wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

[...]

Demand driven units have an adjustment for your local water hardness. If
this is set too high, the unit will recharge too often. If it's a self
installed unit, check the manual for instructions. If commercially
installed, the installer should have done better. Perhaps they will still
make the adjustment. For information on water supply hardness, call your
local water supply utility or you can get hardness test kits (aquarium
supply stores have them).

SJF

Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Gammon

SJF wrote:
"Robert Gammon" wrote in message
. com...

SJF wrote:

wrote in message
ups.com...

[...]

I know the hardness, previously tested at 10 grains.

The issue is that the combination of grains of hardness, and number of
people in the household do not match with the control indicators on the
control head, at least when I tried it several times before. Went back
and tried it again while looking at the user manual, and this time
rotated it almost completely through the entire range of the People dial
before I could align with 10 grainss hardness. The way i had it set
before, with 2 people and 10 grains hardness, it regnerates several
times a week, 40 lbs of salt goes in a flash!!