Posted to alt.home.repair
SJF

Default Water Softeners

"Robert Gammon" wrote in message
. com...
SJF wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

We are in the market for a new water softener. We tried repairing our
old one but it got too expensive so we are going to buy a new one. So
far the only two brands we've seen are Whirlpool at Lowe's and GE's at
Home Depot. Does anyone know anything about these? The price seems
dictated by how many gallons it will treat...but we don't know anyone
who has used these brands of water softeners. Thanks. We would like
one that will last at least five years.

You should read the thread at --

http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=174318

My GE unit failed as indicated after two years. I got it fixed as
indicated in posted item #12 and have my fingers crossed that additional
wear might bring a repeat of the problem. Two previous units, not GE,
averaged twenty years each with some minor DIY repair.

Most of the softeners sold at retail stores branded GE, Sears, Wal-Mart,
etc use the same control valve. Similar problems have been reported for
the Sears units.

Before the fix, I searched for presumably more reliable units and
found --

http://www.qualitywatertreatment.com..._softeners.htm

which has Fleck 5600 units for about $500. I have no experience with
this firm, but purchase using a credit card should be pretty safe.

SJF

Fleck like several mfgs, offer units with timers, and units with demand
driven regeneration. Demand driven is more flexible as it only refreshes
the resin when needed, and may save several regens a month.

I have a Economizer 5600 after the previous unit failed due to a lightning
strike on the power lines. We have had it for over 4 years and no
problems with it at all, other than getting it to regnerate when we want,
we think that it does it too often.

Demand driven units have an adjustment for your local water hardness. If
this is set too high, the unit will recharge too often. If it's a self
installed unit, check the manual for instructions. If commercially
installed, the installer should have done better. Perhaps they will still
make the adjustment. For information on water supply hardness, call your
local water supply utility or you can get hardness test kits (aquarium
supply stores have them).

SJF