Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Neighbor with bright light

My next door neighbor has one of those big bright "barn yard" mercury
vapor lights mounted up high on a 40ft. telephone pole (power company
rented light). Recently, the bulb burned out in it; I thought this was
great because my family could be outside at night or swimming in the
pool without a glaring harsh light shining in our eyes and putting up
with the old lady watching us through her cracked window blinds
(thinking we can't see her; yeah right), but the power company came a
few days ago and changed it, now it is 3X brighter then ever. It shines
through my bedroom window blinds.

My neighbor is an old lady who thinks someone will break into her house
if she doesn't have a industrial light in her back yard, Frankly, I
think she only has it there so she can watch what the neighbors are
doing at night; thats all. There isn't much crime in my town.

Could I call the power company to have it sheilded or disconnected? or
to at least tell them to replace it with a normal-sized porch motion
flood light? These damn lights are responsible for polluting the sky at
night.

BTW: I told her about it; I asked her politely to do something about
it, but she doesn't ever listen to anyone.

Thanks, John

Posted to alt.home.repair

Call the power company and complain. If that doesnt work see if there
are laws in your town about outdoor lighting. Take pictures and videos
and go to court if necessary. Or get a light abd shine it in her
window!!!

wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

pellet gun - every time it's replaced

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
pellet gun - every time it's replaced

I actually thought of that, but from the angle of the bullet would be
facing my house, it would seem to obvious who shot it and figuring I
complained about the light; she would suspect me of shooting it out and
call the cops.

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

If its brighter now a larger watt bulb was put in, there are local
laws. It depends on how far you want to go with it, maybe a letter from
you could explain it to her, maybe she could keep it off till an hour
you are not outside. Neighbor fights can get nasty.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sacramento Dave

Try the city building department, Code enforcement officer, City manager the
point is you have to make a stink, let them know this a nuisance to you and
your family. Are there any other neighbors bothered by this light ? if so go
as group, the squeaky wheel gets the oil.

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sacramento Dave

I thought of somthing els You said the power Co. came and replaced it so it
must be there light? That's were you should start. If the old lady can turn
it on or off start knocking on her door at 1 & 2 AM and ask her to turn it
off. You don't want to mean to the elderly, But there are still a lot of not
so helples older people that are still asses.

Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak

wrote:
[...]

Are you the only one bothered by it? Are other neighbors equally bothered?
If so, get together with them and complain to the Util. Co. as a group.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Sacramento Dave wrote:
I thought of somthing els You said the power Co. came and replaced it
so it must be there light? That's were you should start. If the old
lady can turn it on or off start knocking on her door at 1 & 2 AM and
ask her to turn it off.

I would suggest that is not a very good idea. It is not likely to be
looked on kindly by anyone, including the police and could be considered
harassment and certainly is not going to win friends. Neighbors are
neighbors and being friends is a good idea.

You don't want to mean to the elderly, But
there are still a lot of not so helples older people that are still
asses.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Call the power company and zoning and neighborhood code enforcement. Squeak
that wheel. You may get a little relief. If not, there's always the old
pellet rifle in the garage.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

wrote in message oups.com...
[...]

A tall hedge would probably do the trick. They take awhile to grow, so plant soon.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

A tall hedge would probably do the trick. They take awhile to grow, so plant soon.

Bob

" My next door neighbor has one of those big bright "barn yard" mercury

vapor lights mounted up high on a 40ft. telephone pole "

Thats one tall hedge.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sev

Generally, I'm in agreement with those advocating the legal, civilised
route- likely to be more effective in the long run, if slower. But I
have a certain mischievous curiosity about what would happen if a water
pistol of a certain size filled with, say, ice water were to
accidentally be discharged on a hot bulb- it isn't shielded, is it? I
mean, kids have been known to do such foolish things.

Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak

Sev wrote:
Generally, I'm in agreement with those advocating the legal, civilised
route- likely to be more effective in the long run, if slower. But I
have a certain mischievous curiosity about what would happen if a water
pistol of a certain size filled with, say, ice water were to
accidentally be discharged on a hot bulb- it isn't shielded, is it? I
mean, kids have been known to do such foolish things.

Mercury vapor lights are enclosed in a housing like automobile
headlamps. They are designed for outddor use, so rain, snow, sleet, etc.
have little effect on them. Even the pellet gun suggestion might take
more than a single shot. Better with a .44 magnum.
Let me add just another stupid solution to the problem.
Kill the old lady!

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
To Email, remove the double zeroes after 'at'
Posted to alt.home.repair
C & E

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
Sacramento Dave wrote:
I thought of somthing els You said the power Co. came and replaced it
so it must be there light? That's were you should start. If the old
lady can turn it on or off start knocking on her door at 1 & 2 AM and
ask her to turn it off.

I would suggest that is not a very good idea. It is not likely to be
looked on kindly by anyone, including the police and could be considered
harassment and certainly is not going to win friends. Neighbors are
neighbors and being friends is a good idea.

You don't want to mean to the elderly, But
there are still a lot of not so helples older people that are still
asses.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Joe's right. And don't do anything destructive. It's just going to come
back on you, besides being illegal and unethical. It's too bad you don't
have a better relationship with 'the old lady' and could talk with her.
Explain your point of view calmly and stay calm even if she becomes
unreasonable. Yes, there are mean folks of all ages but being older and
alone causes many to become overly suspicious or downright paranaoid. I'm
watching it happen in our family and it's not fun for anybody.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

On Thu, 01 Jun 2006 11:49:04 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"

..
Could I call the power company to have it sheilded or disconnected? or
to at least tell them to replace it with a normal-sized porch motion
flood light? These damn lights are responsible for polluting the sky
at night.

Thanks, John

Local laws are all different. I would suggest starting with the power
company as they may take car of it as you suggest and they are likely to be
familiar with the local regulations.

Buy one of those million-candlepower spotlights.
Aim it at the yard-light. If it's got a daylight
sensor on it, that will turn the thing off.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

wrote:

[...]

Our local building code requires shades on lights above a certain level.
With a little luck, you code does, too. Yeh, some folks don't allow
anyone in the neighborhood to enjoy the night.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

wrote:

[...]

Another thought that might meet with approval from the neighbor would be
to install a motion sensor - not my choice - so she KNOWS when
someone/something is in the yard. If you have a lot of critters around,
the light would be on a good deal. I used to have a neighborhood possom
that made the identical sound of a person walking through the yard.
Used to spook me until the light came on - then he would stand up and
peer in the window of the Florida room at me )
Posted to alt.home.repair

willshak wrote:
Mercury vapor lights are enclosed in a housing like automobile
headlamps. They are designed for outddor use, so rain, snow, sleet, etc.
have little effect on them. Even the pellet gun suggestion might take
more than a single shot. Better with a .44 magnum.
Let me add just another stupid solution to the problem.
Kill the old lady!

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
To Email, remove the double zeroes after 'at'

Nobody's yet mentioned paintballs. How about some nice opaque color?

Again, don't make the firing-source obvious.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Gideon

HeyBub wrote
There is no law against being a "suspect," nor can
you be arrested for "suspicion" of anything.

====================

Sure, tell that to the Duke Lacrosse team.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Cheri

wrote in message
.com...
[...]

I had sort of the same thing with a very bright light on the side of a
building pointed toward my backyard, so you felt like you were in a
prison yard or something. I complained to no avail, so I took it to the
city council and it was corrected shortly after that. If nothing else
works, try that. Good luck.

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair
MattMika

On 1 Jun 2006 01:39:38 -0700, wrote:

[...]

I had a HPS light on a pole in the alley right behind my backyard
when I bought my house a few years back. Luckily it was installed at
the request of the seller so all I had to do call the electric co and
have them shut it off. IIRC it cost around $6-8/mo to rent.

Like you, I despised that light.

I would imagine that if you express your dissatisfaction to the power
company and/or code enforcement it would get shut it off.

The old lady should install motion sensor lights in her backyard to be
considerate of her neighbors.
Matt Mika
Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker LT

BB gun

--
Steve Barker

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
JohnR66

"m Ransley" wrote in message
If its brighter now a larger watt bulb was put in, there are local
laws. It depends on how far you want to go with it, maybe a letter from
you could explain it to her, maybe she could keep it off till an hour
you are not outside. Neighbor fights can get nasty.

Doubtful. An HID lamp is not likely to increase output with a higher wattage
bulb. The power limiting effects of the ballast won't allow for that by
much. More likely the HID lamp will never come up to operating temp and
overheat the ballast. burning it out.
Mercury bulbs can run for many years past their lifetime at greatly reduced
output. When the new bulb got installed, it seems to be very bright.

unlawful and second, the outer envelope of the lamp may break while the
inner arc tube remains intact. Without the outer envelope to block harmful
UV radiation, the mercury lamp is a powerful emitter of UV that can damage
the eyes and skin.

A metal shield can be fitted to the lamp to block out much of the light in
certain directions.

John

Posted to alt.home.repair
Gideon

Mys Terry wrote
You are always arrested on "suspicion" of comitting a crime. It's
suspicion until you get convicted. You can also be arrested for
"Intention". They read you mind and just know you are thinking about
doing something illegal.

============

I wasn't arrested, but I was once pulled over by a cop who said
that he "knew" that I was going to roll through a stop sign if I
hadn't seen him nearby.

I politely asked if I had actually broken any laws. "No, not really."

I politely asked how he "knew" that I intended to break the law.
"I just know from experience."

What a freakin' dumb ass.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Buster Chops

Do the right thing .. ... best bet is to contact your local municipal authority (e.g., zoning office , code enforcement officer, etc.) Typically there are lighting ordinances which govern how much light should be visible. And in some cases, even the wattage of the bulb depending on the type of fixture, etc.

This can also include use of shields, etc. to prevent light penetration onto neighbors property. But I'm interested ... if the local power company is replacing the bulb, is it their light? If so .. this may complicate the situation.

wrote in message oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
daniel peterman

I live at the end of a long cul de sac and our streets in San Diego are
scantilly lit. However I am lucky (?) enough to have one of the three
street lights on the block right outside my front door. They use this
weird orangish bulb to cut down on light pollution for Mt Palomar
observatory. They are shockingly bright when new.
My front yard is lit up like a rock concert.
It's kinda creepy at first as everything is color shifted.
I don't like it but they aren't gonna switch to mercury vapor.

Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub

Mys Terry wrote:

Many years ago, a friend of mine was being followed around a
department store by a security person, because he "didn't look right".
In other words, it was the 1960's and he had long hair and a beard. My
friend decided to respond by playfully ducking behind counters in an
exaggerated manner, and generally playing cat and mouse with the jerk.
The end of the story, however, was that he was arrested for "Intent to
shoplift". He was convicted and had to pay a fine. I think he got a
term of probation as well.

Heh! The closest one can get today is "conspiracy" to do something. But
"conspiracy" is an agreement between two or more to commit some unlawful act
coupled with an affirmative act in furtherance of the conspiracy.

"Intent" is often an element of an offense, but it is not an offense per se.
For example: "burglary" is defined as the entering of a building (often a
dwelling) with the intent to commit a felony or the crime of theft. Now the
"intent" on the part of the accused burglar can often be inferred by a
rational person (the TV, stereo, and jewlry were stacked by the front
door...), but mere intent is never an offense - intent is often necessary,
but intent alone is never sufficient to establish the crime. There must be
some overt act as a necessary element of the offense.

Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub

Gideon wrote:
HeyBub wrote
There is no law against being a "suspect," nor can
you be arrested for "suspicion" of anything.

====================

Sure, tell that to the Duke Lacrosse team.

The actual charges were First Degree Forcible Rape, First Degree Sexual
Offense, and Kidnapping. To be arrested, one must be charged with an actual
crime. There is no crime in North Carolina enumerated as "Suspicion of ...."
anything.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Beachcomber

"Intent" is often an element of an offense, but it is not an offense per se.
For example: "burglary" is defined as the entering of a building (often a
dwelling) with the intent to commit a felony or the crime of theft. Now the
"intent" on the part of the accused burglar can often be inferred by a
rational person (the TV, stereo, and jewlry were stacked by the front
door...), but mere intent is never an offense - intent is often necessary,
but intent alone is never sufficient to establish the crime. There must be
some overt act as a necessary element of the offense.

Bullcrap...

What about all the alleged "child molestors" who are locked up for
thirty years and labled sex offenders for life because they arrive at
some police sting operation with the "intent" of having sex with a 15
year old girl.

In reality there is no 15 year girl... she was made up by some police
officer surfing on the Internet and up till the moment of arrest, no
one was harmed. There is no victim.

The person being arrested and convicted is being punished purely for
their thoughts about what they might want to do or thought about
doing, in other words, intent.

Beachcomber

Want a longer lasting light bulb Mel Home Repair 17 October 26th 05 02:25 PM
Light Bulb Phil UK diy 18 March 27th 05 05:50 PM
Found elsewhere but perhaps a bit close to home? John UK diy 5 December 29th 04 11:28 PM
Survey on Newsgroup Behavior Jens Arndt Home Repair 27 November 2nd 04 01:45 PM
Inground spa light replac barry martin Home Repair 0 October 14th 04 12:30 AM