Posted to alt.home.repair
JD

Default pergola support

I want to build a pergola on top of my deck. Instead of using 6x6 posts I'd
like to build square columns out of 1x6 treated lumber. I basically want to
build a box to support the structure. I believe that this box column will
support the weight of the structure, as I have seen these types of columns
used to support porches on older homes.
Any thoughts on this?
TIA
JD

Posted to alt.home.repair
marson

first tell us the snow load in your area

Posted to alt.home.repair
Cliff Hartle

Some of those boxes are wraped around a steel column. Also, older homes
used better wood from old growth trees, the 1 x 6 you get today is not as
strong as the older wood.

"JD" wrote in message
I want to build a pergola on top of my deck. Instead of using 6x6 posts
I'd like to build square columns out of 1x6 treated lumber. I basically
want to build a box to support the structure. I believe that this box
column will support the weight of the structure, as I have seen these types
of columns used to support porches on older homes.
Any thoughts on this?
TIA
JD

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob S.

JD wrote:
I want to build a pergola on top of my deck. Instead of using 6x6 posts I'd
like to build square columns out of 1x6 treated lumber. I basically want to
build a box to support the structure. I believe that this box column will
support the weight of the structure, as I have seen these types of columns
used to support porches on older homes.
Any thoughts on this?
TIA
JD

If you want the look you're after, use 4x4's boxed in by 1x6's. That
should give you all the strength you need for a pergola.

Bob S.

Posted to alt.home.repair
JD

southeastern virginia. Snow load is zero. there would be no roof to hold
the snow.
JD
"marson" wrote in message
ups.com...
first tell us the snow load in your area

Posted to alt.home.repair
ameijers

"JD" wrote in message
southeastern virginia. Snow load is zero. there would be no roof to hold
the snow.
JD
"marson" wrote in message
ups.com...
first tell us the snow load in your area

Okay, now tell us about wind load. Ever get storms? Thing needs to be tied
down, and able to resist racking. If not tied off to house, I'd do metal
posts set in concrete, with brackets to catch the beams (about like a
carport roof), and then skin it in 5/4 to get the look you want. But that is
just me.

aem sends....

Posted to alt.home.repair
Not@home

The people who sell wood columns built this way sell them exclusively
for interior use and void the warranty if they are used outside.
Apparently it is almost impossible to protect the interior of the column
from rotting due to weather exposure. Fiberglass columns are
recommended for exterior applications.

Unless you are buying a pergola kit, I think you would be wise to figure
out how much the thing will weigh before deciding how strong your
columns will have to be. And since this will be on a deck, you will
want to insure the deck is strong enough to support it.

JD wrote:
I want to build a pergola on top of my deck. Instead of using 6x6 posts I'd
like to build square columns out of 1x6 treated lumber. I basically want to
build a box to support the structure. I believe that this box column will
support the weight of the structure, as I have seen these types of columns
used to support porches on older homes.
Any thoughts on this?
TIA
JD

Posted to alt.home.repair
JD

Yes we get an occasional hurricane. So I know all bets are off when that
happens. but since it won't have a solid roof I hope the wind will blow
through. It will be anchored to the house and will have enough bracing to
resist racking. I'll probably notch the top pieces to drop down into the
support beams.

Regarding the columns. I plan on reinforcing the deck with some additional
support posts on footers. I like the idea about jacketing a 4x4 with 1x6 or
2x6. I just won't be able to manhandle 6x6x10' posts.

I'll do some research on the weight.

Thanks to all
JD
"ameijers" wrote in message

"JD" wrote in message
southeastern virginia. Snow load is zero. there would be no roof to hold
the snow.
JD
ups.com...

Tech Support Cliff Metalworking 4 February 10th 06 12:12 AM
Service Support and Parts Supplies Leonard Caillouet Electronics Repair 15 February 3rd 06 02:10 AM
OT - For Kathy Cliff Metalworking 3 September 1st 05 03:58 AM
Pergola support question JD Home Repair 1 April 16th 05 03:31 AM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM