Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Low water level in toilet bowl.

I have a new home (built in 2001) and have a toilet in the 1/2 bath
downstairs that has a very low water level. There are no leaks. I
have heard that if I adjust the float upwards, so that the resevoir
holds more water, the level of the bowl itself will rise. The problem
is the float is already maxed out. To raise the level I will have to
replace the float and drain pipe in the resevoir (since the level is at
the top of that drain as well).

My question to the group is this: Will increasing the water level in
the resevoir actually fix my problem and if not what can I do to fix
this problem?

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark

The water level in the bowl is not 'adjustable', it is entirely governed by
the consruction of the toilet and the 'trap' molded within. You may be able
to see the curved formation in the rear of the bowl that indicates the water
flow and the location of the trap.

As others have mentioned, the bowl is suppose to be re-filled - topped off
so-to-speak - by a small tube that sprays a small stream of water down the
overflow while the tank is refilling. If this isn't working correctly the
only water in the bowl after a flush will be what ever is left after the
flush.

Try this: SLOWLY pour a pitcher of water (gallon or so) into the bowl after
flushing and the tank has filled. The level the water reaches and remains
is the fullest level the bowl will ever get. If that's higher than after a
flush then the refill tube is probably not working.

Keep in mind that different models fill to different levels. I have several
different models (Crane, American Standard, Kohler) in my older home. The
newer ones don't fill as full - I figure it is part due to the low water use
requirements. The less water in the bowl, the less water that needs to be
'replaced' with each flush - leaving more water for the actual flush.

Does your toilet flush OK? If you don't need to flush twice to clear the
bowl, you probably don't have a problem.

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a new home (built in 2001) and have a toilet in the 1/2 bath
downstairs that has a very low water level. There are no leaks. I
have heard that if I adjust the float upwards, so that the resevoir
holds more water, the level of the bowl itself will rise. The problem
is the float is already maxed out. To raise the level I will have to
replace the float and drain pipe in the resevoir (since the level is at
the top of that drain as well).

My question to the group is this: Will increasing the water level in
the resevoir actually fix my problem and if not what can I do to fix
this problem?

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

First off I just want to thank you all for your help...the fix was
simple! The tube that was supposed to flow into the overflow was
attached to the overflow such that it was flowing into the resevoir and
not the overflow. I fixed that in one second and now the bowl fills to
an appropriate level.

you all are great!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sounds like you have a different problem...mine simply had the fill
tube attached to the outside of the overflow (it is suppose to put
water into that tube to fill the bowl while the tank is filling)...the
level never dropped after filling though...sorry, but it sounds like a
different problem...this site is great though and if you post it you
will get answer

richard

First off I just want to thank you all for your help...the fix was
simple! The tube that was supposed to flow into the overflow was
attached to the overflow such that it was flowing into the resevoir and
not the overflow. I fixed that in one second and now the bowl fills to
an appropriate level.

you all are great!

Hi Richard,

I have the same problem. I bought a new Crane toilet bowl and tank. The
flushing is great, how ever, after the tank is full, the water in the
bowl drops but not that much. How did you fix yours?

Hot Water Recirculator Comfort Valve Inefficiencies Cost More Then An Outlet Install [email protected] Home Repair 0 April 21st 06 12:13 AM
Toilet bowl water is moving Keith Home Repair 8 January 16th 06 12:09 PM
need hot water FAST PV Home Repair 38 January 30th 04 01:15 AM
I need a little advice on running waterlines in an uninsulated crawlspace ozark Home Repair 12 January 29th 04 05:23 AM
Toilet Bowl Water Level Mike Home Repair 3 July 23rd 03 12:07 PM