Posted to alt.home.repair
46erjoe

Default Lawn care question

My lawn is covered with holes not of my making. There are 2 or 3 every
square foot, and look like something's been digging from the top down.
I suspect birds pecking for worms but I never see them and there are
hardly any squirrels around. Any ideas?
Posted to alt.home.repair
Moisés Nacio

"46erjoe" wrote
My lawn is covered with holes not of my making. There are 2 or 3 every
square foot, and look like something's been digging from the top down.
I suspect birds pecking for worms but I never see them and there are
hardly any squirrels around. Any ideas?

When that happens around here, it is most likely big crows, pecking for the
grubs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

could be skunks also loking for grubs.the grubs will be a bigger
problem than the skunks ive seen them kill a whole lawn.

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

If it happens at night an animal is digging for grubs. Milky Spore is
the only non insecticide that gets rid of grubs, insecticide kills
everything and birds.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

46erjoe wrote:
My lawn is covered with holes not of my making. There are 2 or 3 every
square foot, and look like something's been digging from the top down.
I suspect birds pecking for worms but I never see them and there are
hardly any squirrels around. Any ideas?

Likely something going for the grubs that are there now. It is a little
late to kill those grubs, but you may want to check with your local county
extension office to find out when and how to best address the problem before
the next crop show up.

Since it appears you have not actually seen what is digging the holes, I
am going to guess skunks who work at night. I have a friendly one in my
neighborhood. So far no people or dogs have been hit, but it sure goes
after the grubs and mice. I happened on it one night and was about three
feet away before I could see that it was a skunk and not the cat I was
expecting. He just looked at me, but not even the beginning of the warning
off dance.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
PanHandler

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
.. .
46erjoe wrote:
[...]

Here in the deep south, armadillos are a big problem. They can decimate a
lawn in one night digging for food. They root like hogs.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom The Great

On Mon, 22 May 2006 00:08:45 GMT, 46erjoe
wrote:

My lawn is covered with holes not of my making. There are 2 or 3 every
square foot, and look like something's been digging from the top down.
I suspect birds pecking for worms but I never see them and there are
hardly any squirrels around. Any ideas?

Could have animals, like skunks, digging at night for grubs. If you
have grubs treat them and the animals will leave your yard allone.
Just saying this since I too had a bad grub problem years ago, and
I've not been visited much by digging animals.

hth,

tom @ www.WorkAtHomePlans.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

Midwest, Chicago area: Is it too late to treat for grubs here? It has
been a relatively cold spring so far.

Lawn fanatics: Need your advice on broadcast spreaders & sprayers DK Home Repair 6 April 2nd 06 04:07 AM
Southwest lawn care?? Alistair Smythe Home Repair 2 March 12th 06 12:55 AM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Simple question regarding Ceiling tiles and sound? lbbs UK diy 5 March 26th 04 01:36 AM
Simple question regarding Ceiling tiles and sound? lbbs Home Ownership 2 March 25th 04 07:03 PM