Posted to alt.home.repair
Alistair Smythe

Default Southwest lawn care??

I want a good lawn of st.augustine grass that is full of weeds and dead
spots. I have cut the grass, I want to kill the weeds and feriilize the
grass and prevent fire ants and other insects from harming my yard. What is
the best products to use? I live in Houston, Texas where the summers average
about 95 degrees.

Posted to alt.home.repair
JIMMIE

Weeds have already started popping out of my St augustine grass though
the grass is still dormant. I sprayed a little weed killer around to
kill the plants that were already green This shouldnt hurt the St
augustine if done a couple of weeks before it begins to green up. At
least that s the info I got from local nursery. I'm waiting to see how
it turns out. Im hoping that this will get the St augustine established
well enough to choke out the rest of the weeds, onions and fescue.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

JIMMIE wrote:

Weeds have already started popping out of my St augustine grass though
the grass is still dormant. I sprayed a little weed killer around to
kill the plants that were already green This shouldnt hurt the St
augustine if done a couple of weeks before it begins to green up. At
least that s the info I got from local nursery. I'm waiting to see how
it turns out. Im hoping that this will get the St augustine established
well enough to choke out the rest of the weeds, onions and fescue.

We have St. Augustine in Florida. Got rid of majority of weeds using
two basic herbicides, one for broadleaf and one for grassy weeds. The
timing and conditions have to be right for optimum results without
damaging grass. There are special broadleaf herbicides for use on S.A.,
and should be applied when weeds are actively growing; i.e., plenty of
water, fertilizer and warmth. Should not be applied during stress (hot,
dry conditions). Herbicides for grassy weeds, especially, need to be
applied at exactly the right time, as they are pre-emergent. There are
some weeds that are best eradicated either by hand or by brushing on
Roundup. S.A. spreads fairly quick to fill in thin areas. Your local
extension service probably has good info, perhaps on website. Fertilize
3-4 times/year with slow release fertilizer, don't cut too short. Water
early morning 2-3 times/week.