DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Lawn care question (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/162834-lawn-care-question.html)

46erjoe May 22nd 06 01:08 AM

Lawn care question

My lawn is covered with holes not of my making. There are 2 or 3 every
square foot, and look like something's been digging from the top down.
I suspect birds pecking for worms but I never see them and there are
hardly any squirrels around. Any ideas?

Moisés Nacio May 22nd 06 01:27 AM

Lawn care question

"46erjoe" wrote
My lawn is covered with holes not of my making. There are 2 or 3 every
square foot, and look like something's been digging from the top down.
I suspect birds pecking for worms but I never see them and there are
hardly any squirrels around. Any ideas?

When that happens around here, it is most likely big crows, pecking for the
grubs.

[email protected] May 22nd 06 01:41 AM

Lawn care question

could be skunks also loking for grubs.the grubs will be a bigger
problem than the skunks ive seen them kill a whole lawn.

m Ransley May 22nd 06 01:42 AM

Lawn care question

If it happens at night an animal is digging for grubs. Milky Spore is
the only non insecticide that gets rid of grubs, insecticide kills
everything and birds.

Joseph Meehan May 22nd 06 02:40 AM

Lawn care question

46erjoe wrote:
My lawn is covered with holes not of my making. There are 2 or 3 every
square foot, and look like something's been digging from the top down.
I suspect birds pecking for worms but I never see them and there are
hardly any squirrels around. Any ideas?

Likely something going for the grubs that are there now. It is a little
late to kill those grubs, but you may want to check with your local county
extension office to find out when and how to best address the problem before
the next crop show up.

Since it appears you have not actually seen what is digging the holes, I
am going to guess skunks who work at night. I have a friendly one in my
neighborhood. So far no people or dogs have been hit, but it sure goes
after the grubs and mice. I happened on it one night and was about three
feet away before I could see that it was a skunk and not the cat I was
expecting. He just looked at me, but not even the beginning of the warning
off dance.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

PanHandler May 22nd 06 04:34 AM

Lawn care question

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
.. .
46erjoe wrote:
[...]

Here in the deep south, armadillos are a big problem. They can decimate a
lawn in one night digging for food. They root like hogs.

Tom The Great May 22nd 06 05:55 AM

Lawn care question

On Mon, 22 May 2006 00:08:45 GMT, 46erjoe
wrote:

My lawn is covered with holes not of my making. There are 2 or 3 every
square foot, and look like something's been digging from the top down.
I suspect birds pecking for worms but I never see them and there are
hardly any squirrels around. Any ideas?

Could have animals, like skunks, digging at night for grubs. If you
have grubs treat them and the animals will leave your yard allone.
Just saying this since I too had a bad grub problem years ago, and
I've not been visited much by digging animals.

hth,

tom @ www.WorkAtHomePlans.com

[email protected] May 22nd 06 02:20 PM

Lawn care question

Midwest, Chicago area: Is it too late to treat for grubs here? It has
been a relatively cold spring so far.