Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Explain scaffolding to me?

I've never used scaffolding and no nothing abt it

can someone tell me if a "home" scaffolding set exist
such that one can do some work to outside of typical
home?

I don't need heavy duty industrial scaffolding.... but
do need something tough enough to support a couple of
men and related equipment to work on the side of a
typical one story home say abt 12 feet tall
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pete C." wrote:

The "light duty" 4' wide x 6' tall scaffold frames are good for home
use. They're still good for like 1,500# of load on them, "light duty" is
relative to industrial use. I have 8 frames, four of the good Alumaplank
planks and all the appropriate cross braces, leveling feet, etc.

This setup covers pretty much any configuration you might need for home
use and for those occasional big jobs like replacing a roof, you can
always rent additional parts as needed. The Alumaplanks are kind of
expensive, but they are highly recommended for home use as they are much
lighter and easier to handle than regular 2x scaffold grade planks. Do
not ever use generic 2x material for scaffold planks BTW, they are not
safe.

http://www.americanladders.com/light_duty_frames.html

Pete C.

Thanks so much Pete!

I was gonna ask if there was some LIGHT planks out
there

I live alone and truly to buy light things so much
easier for one person to move around

Like I said....I just need something for typical round
the house jobs....single story home

I'm not real keen on standing on wobbly ladders any
more
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pete C." wrote:

The "light duty" 4' wide x 6' tall scaffold frames are good for home
use.

What abt the narrow frame sat 30" width?

you think the 48" width a better buy?

I'm just thinking the narrower ones will be lighter in
weight...easier carry around by one person?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C.

wrote:

"Pete C." wrote:

[...]

The alumaplanks (aluminum ladder frame with plywood deck) are quite
light in the 19" wide x 7' long size. I'm an average strength guy and on
more than one occasion I have climbed two levels of scaffold frame while
carrying an Alumaplank and then swung it into place with one arm while
hanging on with the other. Not the best way to do it (best to put a
plank on a lower level to stand on), but it works when you're on the
last plank.

I live alone and truly to buy light things so much
easier for one person to move around

I live alone and have a hydraulic palette jack, engine hoist and
forklift to make it easy for one person to move things around

Like I said....I just need something for typical round
the house jobs....single story home

Scaffolding is great for that, gives you a nice wide work platform with
room for tools and materials. The real nice thing is the ability to
configure the scaffolding to the task. The 8 frames I have can make a
24' tall 4' x 7' unit, a 12' tall 4' x 14' unit, 12' tall 8' x 7' unit,
6' tall 4' x 28' unit, etc.

I'm not real keen on standing on wobbly ladders any
more

Good fiberglass ladders placed properly on stable surfaces aren't too
bad, but you still lack room for tools and materials.

Pete C.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pete C." wrote:

The narrow frames are a little less common, they also have less
stability. What you see most often are the 4' "light duty" and 5'
"standard duty" frames in the welded tube frame scaffold style. The OSHA
standards require tie offs or outriggers on scaffold towers where the
height exceeds 4x the smallest base dimension. The PRC (California)
specs 3x. OSHA of course has no control over homeowner use, but it's
still a good standard to follow.

Ok great info! Thanks!

Do I make these tie offs myself? Or do you buy them as
well?

Sounds like I should stick with 4' or 6' foot widths
huh?

These are MORE popular than narrow right?

What I'm thinking is if I ever want to sell this tuff
on used market I don't want to get some oddball size
that no one wants to buy. See what I mean?

So I should DEFIBNELTLY stick with 4 foot or 6 foot
width?
Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C.

wrote:

"Pete C." wrote:

The narrow frames are a little less common, they also have less
stability. What you see most often are the 4' "light duty" and 5'
"standard duty" frames in the welded tube frame scaffold style. The OSHA
standards require tie offs or outriggers on scaffold towers where the
height exceeds 4x the smallest base dimension. The PRC (California)
specs 3x. OSHA of course has no control over homeowner use, but it's
still a good standard to follow.

Ok great info! Thanks!

Do I make these tie offs myself? Or do you buy them as
well?

Everything you could possibly need is available as part of the system
(see the accessories section). Leveling feet, wheel feet, guardrail
brackets, outrigger brackets, tie offs, hoist pulley brackets, etc.

Sounds like I should stick with 4' or 6' foot widths
huh?

These are MORE popular than narrow right?

They all get used in construction, but the 4' and 6' widths see the most
use with the smaller sizes generally only being used where there are
space constraints.

What I'm thinking is if I ever want to sell this tuff
on used market I don't want to get some oddball size
that no one wants to buy. See what I mean?

Warning - It's addicting having your own scaffolding once you see all
it's uses.

So I should DEFIBNELTLY stick with 4 foot or 6 foot
width?

4' or 5' width, 6' heights are typical. The walk through spec is usually
only seen in the 5' width though it's available in 4' as well. The
frames that are shorter than 6' aren't seen much since usually 6'
increments work fine.

Pete C.
Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

ameijers wrote:
"Pete C." wrote in message

"Pete C." wrote:

(snip)
I live alone and truly to buy light things so much
easier for one person to move around

I live alone and have a hydraulic palette jack, engine hoist and
forklift to make it easy for one person to move things around

Man- and I thought I was self-indulgent having my own real handtruck. :^/

Having the right tools makes most jobs so much easier.

I quite agree on the scaffold sections being useful around the house. As a
kid, we always had access, since the old man had a construction company. My
mother even used one too-bent-and-rusted rack in the garden as a bean
trellis.

There's no doubt ladder scaffolding is useful, but it's a question of
suitability for the OP's purposes. For the vast majority of jobs
around the house, setting up scaffolding is a larger undertaking than
doing the work. You're not setting up scaffolding to clean your
gutters, replace a broken pane of glass, etc. If you're laying up a
brick veneer, certainly the scaffolding is the only way to go.

The OP has given two different scenarios for the need. In the first
post he mentioned a couple of guys with materials and equipement -
obviously scaffolding of one sort or the other is necessary. Either
ladder scaffolding if there's a significant amount of weight involved
(masonry work) or pump jacks if the work will move fairly quickly
(vinyl siding). In a later post the OP mentioned around the house
work, that he lived alone and needed light stuff he could move around,
and the fact it was a single story home. Those are two different
scenarios with different requirements.

Frankly, I don't see ladder scaffolding being anything more than a pain
in the ass in such a situation. It's a single story home, there are a
lot of parts involved, etc. The OP mentioned a baker and that may be
the best choice, depending on what the grade is around the house and
the amount of plantings in the way. I have a collapsible one piece
(with a separate deck platform) aluminum baker:
http://www.wernerladder.com/catalog/...?series_id=292
It takes literally five minutes to set it up, fits through doorways,
has extensible leveling legs with casters so it rolls around nicely
(although not so well on dirt!). Only drawback is that it's not cheap.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C.

RicodJour wrote:

ameijers wrote:
"Pete C." wrote in message

"Pete C." wrote:

(snip)
[...]

The number one reason for scaffolding over ladders for household jobs is
safety. Non-professionals and ladders just don't mix, probably the top
cause of home project accidents is over reaching from a ladder or trying
to carry tools and materials on a ladder. With scaffolding you have a
large, safe elevated work area where you can put tools and materials
down and where there is far less chance of over reaching and far greater
stability even if you do over reach.

Pete C.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B

"Pete C." wrote

The number one reason for scaffolding over ladders for household jobs is
safety. Non-professionals and ladders just don't mix, probably the top
cause of home project accidents is over reaching from a ladder or trying
to carry tools and materials on a ladder. With scaffolding you have a
large, safe elevated work area where you can put tools and materials
down and where there is far less chance of over reaching and far greater
stability even if you do over reach.

Pete C.

The number one thing is access.

When houses are under construction, scaffolding is easy to put up, as
usually, there is no landscaping, so bricking and stuccoing go easier.

Once the house is built and landscaping mature, it might be a rassling match
for six grown men to bring in some REAL scaffolding and erect it stable and
level enough to do the required work. Sidewalks, flower beds, lawn, every
obstacle imaginable.

Sure, it is nice if the ground is level, and you can bring in scaffolding,
and have everything level and steady. Don't know how it is around your
house, but that doesn't describe mine.

I have seen quite a few trick adjustable ladder/scaffolds that would do
quite nicely.

You just have to look at the work area, and THEN select the proper safe
scaffolding/ladder system.

One size does not fit all. And while one scaffold/ladder would be perfect
in one location, it would be downright suicide in another.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ameijers" wrote:

Having the right tools makes most jobs so much easier.

yes it does

especially when working alone without any help

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RicodJour" wrote:

The OP mentioned a baker

Is this a brand of scaffolding?

Or a TYPE of scaffolding?

Baker that is
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pete C." wrote:

Non-professionals and ladders just don't mix,

I'm 48 yrs old

Ladders SCARE me

Safety is more important at my age
Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C.

Steve B wrote:

"Pete C." wrote

[...]

Nope, not at all, in fact it's quite easy with one guy and scaffolding.
Scaffolding will quite happily straddle landscaping obstacles and the
adjustable leveling feet will handle uneven ground just fine.

The scaffold frames are so light that they are very easy to lift over
obstacles during assembly and teardown. You most certainly do not need
six guys to set it up.

Sure, it is nice if the ground is level, and you can bring in scaffolding,
and have everything level and steady. Don't know how it is around your
house, but that doesn't describe mine.

If the terrain exceeds the adjustment range of the leveling feet, just
stack some solid concrete blocks to make up the difference. Unlike a
ladder which has significant side loading at the base, scaffolding is
just a vertical load so there is little chance of slipping off the
block.

I have seen quite a few trick adjustable ladder/scaffolds that would do
quite nicely.

The Little Giant folding/telescoping ladders work nicely on stairs, but
once again proper scaffolding would also work well.

You just have to look at the work area, and THEN select the proper safe
scaffolding/ladder system.

One size does not fit all. And while one scaffold/ladder would be perfect
in one location, it would be downright suicide in another.

Completely untrue, indeed the tube frame type scaffolding is indeed "one
size fits all" and it can be configured to suit pretty much any
situation. I've never seen, nor can I even imagine a situation where
scaffolding would be "suicide" and a ladder would be safe.

Pete C.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B

"Pete C." wrote in message
Steve B wrote:

"Pete C." wrote

[...]

Sorry I was so wrong, Pete. I guess I really don't know how things are
around MY house.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C.

Steve B wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
Steve B wrote:

"Pete C." wrote

[...]

More likely you simply haven't tried using scaffolding much. I've setup
a ~40' long x 12' high run of scaffolding along the side of a house with
significantly sloping ground, bushes, and stone walls by myself in about
an hour (if that). It was not difficult, was far safer than a ladder
would have been and the time to erect the scaffolding was easily less
than the time that would otherwise have been spent moving a ladder ten
times or more to reach the same areas.

Pete C.