Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C.

Default Explain scaffolding to me?

Steve B wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
Steve B wrote:

"Pete C." wrote

The number one reason for scaffolding over ladders for household jobs
is
safety. Non-professionals and ladders just don't mix, probably the top
cause of home project accidents is over reaching from a ladder or
trying
to carry tools and materials on a ladder. With scaffolding you have a
large, safe elevated work area where you can put tools and materials
down and where there is far less chance of over reaching and far
greater
stability even if you do over reach.

Pete C.

The number one thing is access.

When houses are under construction, scaffolding is easy to put up, as
usually, there is no landscaping, so bricking and stuccoing go easier.

Once the house is built and landscaping mature, it might be a rassling
match
for six grown men to bring in some REAL scaffolding and erect it stable
and
level enough to do the required work. Sidewalks, flower beds, lawn,
every
obstacle imaginable.

Nope, not at all, in fact it's quite easy with one guy and scaffolding.
Scaffolding will quite happily straddle landscaping obstacles and the
adjustable leveling feet will handle uneven ground just fine.

The scaffold frames are so light that they are very easy to lift over
obstacles during assembly and teardown. You most certainly do not need
six guys to set it up.

Sure, it is nice if the ground is level, and you can bring in
scaffolding,
and have everything level and steady. Don't know how it is around your
house, but that doesn't describe mine.

If the terrain exceeds the adjustment range of the leveling feet, just
stack some solid concrete blocks to make up the difference. Unlike a
ladder which has significant side loading at the base, scaffolding is
just a vertical load so there is little chance of slipping off the
block.

I have seen quite a few trick adjustable ladder/scaffolds that would do
quite nicely.

The Little Giant folding/telescoping ladders work nicely on stairs, but
once again proper scaffolding would also work well.

You just have to look at the work area, and THEN select the proper safe
scaffolding/ladder system.

One size does not fit all. And while one scaffold/ladder would be
perfect
in one location, it would be downright suicide in another.

Completely untrue, indeed the tube frame type scaffolding is indeed "one
size fits all" and it can be configured to suit pretty much any
situation. I've never seen, nor can I even imagine a situation where
scaffolding would be "suicide" and a ladder would be safe.

Pete C.

Steve

Sorry I was so wrong, Pete. I guess I really don't know how things are
around MY house.

Steve

More likely you simply haven't tried using scaffolding much. I've setup
a ~40' long x 12' high run of scaffolding along the side of a house with
significantly sloping ground, bushes, and stone walls by myself in about
an hour (if that). It was not difficult, was far safer than a ladder
would have been and the time to erect the scaffolding was easily less
than the time that would otherwise have been spent moving a ladder ten
times or more to reach the same areas.

Pete C.