Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C.

Default Explain scaffolding to me?

wrote:

"Pete C." wrote:

The "light duty" 4' wide x 6' tall scaffold frames are good for home
use.

What abt the narrow frame sat 30" width?

you think the 48" width a better buy?

I'm just thinking the narrower ones will be lighter in
weight...easier carry around by one person?

The narrow frames are a little less common, they also have less
stability. What you see most often are the 4' "light duty" and 5'
"standard duty" frames in the welded tube frame scaffold style. The OSHA
standards require tie offs or outriggers on scaffold towers where the
height exceeds 4x the smallest base dimension. The PRC (California)
specs 3x. OSHA of course has no control over homeowner use, but it's
still a good standard to follow.

The 4' wide x 6' high regular frames are pretty light, I regularly carry
them in pairs. The weight should be listed somewhere online, but I think
they're perhaps 30# each. The 30" width won't weigh much less since
you're only removing about 3' worth of steel tubing at perhaps 3# max.

Pete C.