Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C.

Default Explain scaffolding to me?

wrote:

"Pete C." wrote:

The narrow frames are a little less common, they also have less
stability. What you see most often are the 4' "light duty" and 5'
"standard duty" frames in the welded tube frame scaffold style. The OSHA
standards require tie offs or outriggers on scaffold towers where the
height exceeds 4x the smallest base dimension. The PRC (California)
specs 3x. OSHA of course has no control over homeowner use, but it's
still a good standard to follow.

Ok great info! Thanks!

Do I make these tie offs myself? Or do you buy them as
well?

Everything you could possibly need is available as part of the system
(see the accessories section). Leveling feet, wheel feet, guardrail
brackets, outrigger brackets, tie offs, hoist pulley brackets, etc.

Sounds like I should stick with 4' or 6' foot widths
huh?

These are MORE popular than narrow right?

They all get used in construction, but the 4' and 6' widths see the most
use with the smaller sizes generally only being used where there are
space constraints.

What I'm thinking is if I ever want to sell this tuff
on used market I don't want to get some oddball size
that no one wants to buy. See what I mean?

Warning - It's addicting having your own scaffolding once you see all
it's uses.

So I should DEFIBNELTLY stick with 4 foot or 6 foot
width?

4' or 5' width, 6' heights are typical. The walk through spec is usually
only seen in the 5' width though it's available in 4' as well. The
frames that are shorter than 6' aren't seen much since usually 6'
increments work fine.

Pete C.