Posted to alt.home.repair
gp

Default wheel barrel deflated tire

I have wheel barrel with a deflated tire and it is to the point that it
is loose on the rim bit it is not punctured. It is relatively new and
has always lost air periodically. Someone told me the bead? is not
great on those tires and best option is to add a tube. Should I buy a
new tire, am I able to reseal the existing tire, or is my best option
to add a tube?

Much appreciated in advance

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan Espen

"gp" writes:

I have wheel barrel with a deflated tire and it is to the point that it
is loose on the rim bit it is not punctured. It is relatively new and
has always lost air periodically. Someone told me the bead? is not
great on those tires and best option is to add a tube. Should I buy a
new tire, am I able to reseal the existing tire, or is my best option
to add a tube?

Much appreciated in advance

Contact the manufacturer.

I bought a wheelbarrow at HD, had the tire go flat and
spent a few hours trying to figure out how to get air into it.
It wouldn't seal to the rim.
When I gave up and called the manufacturer to find out how,
they said:

"You don't inflate it. You call us and we send you a new one. No charge.".

I asked about the pressure I should maintain.
Same answer, do nothing, if it goes flat, call us.
Posted to alt.home.repair
The Reverend Natural Light

It is currently a tubeless tire?

Try cleaning the rim and bead with some soapy water and reinflating.
Any dirt in the bead will cause a leak. Sometimes the dry rubber won't
seal and a coating of silicone spray will help.

There is a sealer that can be applied but it can make a mess.

Or pull out the valve stem and use a tube.

-rev

Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

On 4 May 2006 08:14:47 -0700, "gp" wrote:

I have wheel barrel with a deflated tire and it is to the point that it
is loose on the rim bit it is not punctured. It is relatively new and
has always lost air periodically. Someone told me the bead? is not
great on those tires and best option is to add a tube. Should I buy a
new tire, am I able to reseal the existing tire, or is my best option
to add a tube?

Much appreciated in advance

If you cinch a rope around the tire the long-way, and crank on it,
you can probably get the tire to seal well enough to take air.
I've always found that if I make sure the tire is fully
maybe a little over) inflated after that, it will hold air.

YMMV

Posted to alt.home.repair
RobertM

"gp" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have wheel barrel with a deflated tire and it is to the point that it
is loose on the rim bit it is not punctured. It is relatively new and
has always lost air periodically. Someone told me the bead? is not
great on those tires and best option is to add a tube. Should I buy a
new tire, am I able to reseal the existing tire, or is my best option
to add a tube?

Much appreciated in advance

My experience has been that wheelbarrow tires generally don't last much
more than a year. First time it goes flat, I put a tube in. End of problem.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
gp

Thanks to all, I will try to call the manufacturer and if no luck,
sounds like the long-term easy solution is tube it. If I feel playful,
I will try the clean, rope and overair tip.

Thanks again

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B

"gp" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have wheel barrel with a deflated tire and it is to the point that it
is loose on the rim bit it is not punctured. It is relatively new and
has always lost air periodically. Someone told me the bead? is not
great on those tires and best option is to add a tube. Should I buy a
new tire, am I able to reseal the existing tire, or is my best option
to add a tube?

Much appreciated in advance

Two words - solid rubber.
Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
Philip Lewis

"Steve B" writes:
Two words - solid rubber.

I've considered filling with poly-foam... wonder how crappy that would
make it roll. (less cusion i guess)

Is there a risk of it flowing into the axle if I try that?

--
May no harm befall you,
flip

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B

"Philip Lewis" wrote in message
"Steve B" writes:
Two words - solid rubber.

I've considered filling with poly-foam... wonder how crappy that would
make it roll. (less cusion i guess)

Is there a risk of it flowing into the axle if I try that?

--

To me, the risk would be hardening of the foam. The solid rubber tires run
from spongy soft to rock hard. But it sure beats having to doink with a

Or, try some Slime. They sell it for use in ATV tires as a puncture sealer.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht

On 4 May 2006 10:45:40 -0700, "gp" wrote:

Thanks to all, I will try to call the manufacturer and if no luck,
sounds like the long-term easy solution is tube it. If I feel playful,
I will try the clean, rope and overair tip.

Use one of the tubes filled with green gunk and you'll never need to
inflate it again. I don't think they're over $10.

I've got a puncture-proof tire on one wheelbarrow. It is filled with
some sort of foam. I don't like it because there is no way to pump
it up for heavy loads. Fill that barrow with some heavy clay and you
can't move it.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren

On Thu, 4 May 2006 11:41:08 -0500, "RobertM"
wrote:

My experience has been that wheelbarrow tires generally don't last much
more than a year. First time it goes flat, I put a tube in. End of problem.

Bob

Where do you move all them rocks (surrounding TN mountains) too?

Oren
excused from saving Universes."
Posted to alt.home.repair
ameijers

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
On 4 May 2006 10:45:40 -0700, "gp" wrote:

Thanks to all, I will try to call the manufacturer and if no luck,
sounds like the long-term easy solution is tube it. If I feel playful,
I will try the clean, rope and overair tip.

Use one of the tubes filled with green gunk and you'll never need to
inflate it again. I don't think they're over $10.

I've got a puncture-proof tire on one wheelbarrow. It is filled with
some sort of foam. I don't like it because there is no way to pump
it up for heavy loads. Fill that barrow with some heavy clay and you
can't move it.

Unless you can find a pre-mounted wheel and tire that fits your axle cheap,
best solution is a tire store that does farm and industrial. They will have
the right tools and the right tube and/or replacement tire. If the rest of
wheelbarrow is on its last legs, a can of fix-a-flat may get another year
out of it. Put it on with the wheelbarrow upside down, and sit beside it for
about 20 minutes spinning the wheel to distribute the gunk.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker LT

A tube is the second best solution.

the best solution is to buy one of the permatires that don't take air.
About $45. Available at united rental among other places.

--
Steve Barker

"gp" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have wheel barrel with a deflated tire and it is to the point that it
is loose on the rim bit it is not punctured. It is relatively new and
has always lost air periodically. Someone told me the bead? is not
great on those tires and best option is to add a tube. Should I buy a
new tire, am I able to reseal the existing tire, or is my best option
to add a tube?

Much appreciated in advance

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht

On Fri, 05 May 2006 02:12:46 GMT, "Steve Barker LT"
wrote:

A tube is the second best solution.

the best solution is to buy one of the permatires that don't take air.
About $45. Available at united rental among other places.

I disagree. I have one of those and it isn't hard enough to carry a
heavy load well-- and no way to increase pressure.

There may be different grades- this one came on a wheelbarrow. I
curse it every time I haul gravel or wet clay.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stormin Mormon

Default wheel barrow deflated tire

How about pull one bead off, and hten pack the inside with fiberglass
insulation mixed with styrofoam packing peanuts. Or just the packing
peanuts. Then it should be good and tight when you slip the second
bead on.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

newsIs6g.8303$QP4.4827@fed1read12...

"Steve B" writes:
Two words - solid rubber.

I've considered filling with poly-foam... wonder how crappy that

would
make it roll. (less cusion i guess)

Is there a risk of it flowing into the axle if I try that?

--

To me, the risk would be hardening of the foam. The solid rubber
tires run
from spongy soft to rock hard. But it sure beats having to doink with
flat tire every time you go to use the wheelbarrow.

Or, try some Slime. They sell it for use in ATV tires as a puncture
sealer.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
Grumman-581

On Thu, 04 May 2006 12:01:21 -0400, Goedjn wrote:
If you cinch a rope around the tire the long-way, and crank on it,
you can probably get the tire to seal well enough to take air.

I use a ratchet type nylon tie-down strap... My wheelbarrow tire leaks
also, but it's a slow enough leak that it's never really a problem...
Maybe top it off before I use it if it's been sitting for more than a
week or so, but I've never had it come unseated once over the years...
On the other hand, I've had a hand truck tire come unseated because I
was moving my dog's water container with it... It's a 300 lb (empty)
water container and I hadn't topped off the tires on it before
attempting it... The tire that was a bit low popped off the rim...
Posted to alt.home.repair
kyle york

Greetings,

gp wrote:
I have wheel barrel with a deflated tire and it is to the point that it
is loose on the rim bit it is not punctured. It is relatively new and
has always lost air periodically. Someone told me the bead? is not
great on those tires and best option is to add a tube. Should I buy a
new tire, am I able to reseal the existing tire, or is my best option
to add a tube?

Much appreciated in advance

First time this happened to me I went to a tire store & it was remounted
free of charge in about 30s; second time I gave up & got a solid tire.

I've heard the rope suggestions work well, and this might

http://www.break.com/index/bigboystire.html

--
Kyle A. York
Sr. Subordinate Grunt
Posted to alt.home.repair
Heathcliff

OK I have to ask . . . . how big is your dog?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Grumman-581

On 5 May 2006 14:47:49 -0700, "Heathcliff"
wrote:

OK I have to ask . . . . how big is your dog?

He's half German Shepherd, hald St. Bernard... It's basically an
engineering challenge between what he can destroy / knock over and
what I can buy / design / build... He likes to put his front paws in
the water bowl and that tended to knock them over... The plastic water
bowls were just considered chew toys by him... Eventually, I had to
make one out of concrete and rebar... The sides and bottom are about
6" thick and it took 3.5 80# bags of concrete to make it... If I was
doing it over, I would pour a small slab, have rebar sticking up along
the edges, and do the perimeter with CMUs (cinder blocks) filled with
concrete... I would also install a pipe at the bottom of the first row
of CMUs with a valve on it so that I could drain the container... I
would also plumb it so that water could come directly into it with no
exposed valves -- probably have the valve near the house with just a
straight pipe running out to the water container... My philosophy is
that if you're going to engineer something, you might as well
over-engineer it...
Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan Espen

wrote:

[...]

You probably already have a few water dishes like that in your house.
Just leave the seat up and remember to flush.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht

Default Dog water - [was; wheel barrel deflated tire]

Grumman-581 wrote:
-snip-
He's half German Shepherd, hald St. Bernard... It's basically an
engineering challenge between what he can destroy / knock over and
what I can buy / design / build... He likes to put his front paws in
the water bowl and that tended to knock them over... The plastic water
bowls were just considered chew toys by him...

-snip-

Did you ever try one of these?
http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx?familyid=6141

The dog licks the end & it drizzles a bit of water.

I don't think I'd like it on a hose-- but I 'T'd off a supply in my
yard and put mine on the back side of a 'hose post' with some
galvanized fittings.

I'm tempted to put another in my downstairs bathtub. It took a
couple tries for my pug pup to catch on-- but now he pretty much
ignores the water dish when he's outside & serves himself. He's
learning how to press with what little muzzle he has and get it to run
into his mouth.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair
Grumman-581

On Sat, 06 May 2006 10:58:18 -0400, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:
Did you ever try one of these?
http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx?familyid=6141

I had one which my previous dogs used without a problem... Minerals in
the water seem to build up on it and cause it to leak... I tried it
with my current dog with a water bowl underneath it, but he broke the
faucet... I reinstalled the faucet, but this time with a 8" square
concrete post surrounding it... I think it took 2 80# bags of concrete
to make that post, even though it only stuck out of the ground around
12" or so... He wasn't able to destroy that...
Posted to alt.home.repair
Grumman-581

On Sat, 06 May 2006 09:24:46 -0400, Dan Espen
wrote:
You probably already have a few water dishes like that in your house.
Just leave the seat up and remember to flush

Nawh, they are too easy to break...
Posted to alt.home.repair
ameijers

wrote:

[...]

Sounds like a hell of lot of work to make a stock tank that Tractor Supply
sells for a hundred bucks or so, last time I noticed.....

A dog that big isn't a dog anymore- that is livestock.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

i put a tube in mine and added a double dose of slime in the tube..
havent added any air for 3 years.did the same on my riding mower tires..
lucas

Posted to alt.home.repair
Grumman-581

On Sun, 07 May 2006 02:43:11 GMT, "ameijers"
wrote:
Sounds like a hell of lot of work to make a stock tank that Tractor Supply
sells for a hundred bucks or so, last time I noticed.....

It cost me a lot less than $100 to make... The smallest that TS sells
is 44 gallons at $67 and 2 ft wide by 4 ft long by 1 ft high... That's
a bit larger footprint than I was wanting...

A dog that big isn't a dog anymore- that is livestock.

Perhaps, but he's very friendly livestock (i.e. he has *no* loyalty
whatsoever -- a "smile at me, I'm yours" type of dog)... Very good
with kids and not the least aggressive towards other dogs (even the
small rat size ones)... He likes to chase ducks and if he manages to
catch one and stop it, the duck doesn't tend to survive the
encounter... He then looks at it and wonder why it doesn't want to
play anymore...

The Know-It-All Canadian Tire couple. Robatoy Woodworking 18 January 3rd 06 05:22 PM
band saw tire darkon Woodworking 26 August 10th 05 04:51 PM
Wheel Barrel Recommendations? Charlie S. Home Repair 7 July 15th 05 12:22 AM
Noob Lathe Q: Turning between centers B.B. Metalworking 53 March 10th 05 08:53 PM
Grinding Wheels Jamrelliot Metalworking 21 January 7th 04 05:39 PM