Charlie S.

Default Wheel Barrel Recommendations?

Looking to buy a wheel barrel. Will using it to move some bricks and for
other around the house usage. Seems HD and Sears are the only major dealers
for wheel barrels around here. Any recommendations... metal, plastic?
Other features to look for?

I may be mixing some cement. Do they still use wheel barrels for this...
metal or plastic... any difference? Or, am I better off mixing cement in
something else? I'll be filling some sonar tubes (sp?) and mortaring around
the house. Thanks!

PanHandler

"Charlie S." wrote in message
Looking to buy a wheel barrel. Will using it to move some bricks and for
other around the house usage. Seems HD and Sears are the only major
dealers for wheel barrels around here. Any recommendations... metal,
plastic? Other features to look for?

I may be mixing some cement. Do they still use wheel barrels for this...
metal or plastic... any difference? Or, am I better off mixing cement in
something else? I'll be filling some sonar tubes (sp?) and mortaring
around the house. Thanks!

I think you'll find the metal variety much more durable. The tendency for
mortar to slosh around and tip the wheel barrow will be greatly diminished
if you get a two-wheeled model. You can even handle them with one hand.
BTW - it's 'barrow'.

Duane Bozarth

"Charlie S." wrote:

Looking to buy a wheel barrel. ...

Actuall the barrel will roll just fine w/o the wheel.
Tim Fischer

I got a relatively cheap one at Wal-Mart last year (metal, single wheel) and
it seems to work fine.

As for the one-wheel vs. two-wheel: The tradeoff is stability (two-wheel)
vs. manuverability (one-wheel). single-wheels are easy to tip if you're not
careful, but they're also the only kind you can roll up a 2x6 and dump into
a footing...

As for the best way to mix concrete -- I'd say rent an electric mixer. I'm
actually going to be doing this in a few hours to pour 7 deck footing
tubes... I did it the manual wheelbarrow way a couple years ago for a
buddy's deck and it wasn't much fun.

-Tim

No

jackson make a good one, its blue, metal. Put an extra coat of poly on the
wood handles before putting it together if it will be left out in the rain.
Will last many years.
"Charlie S." wrote in message
Looking to buy a wheel barrel. Will using it to move some bricks and for
other around the house usage. Seems HD and Sears are the only major
dealers for wheel barrels around here. Any recommendations... metal,
plastic? Other features to look for?

I may be mixing some cement. Do they still use wheel barrels for this...
metal or plastic... any difference? Or, am I better off mixing cement in
something else? I'll be filling some sonar tubes (sp?) and mortaring
around the house. Thanks!

Charlie S.

"Charlie S." wrote in message
Looking to buy a wheel barrel. Will using it to move some bricks and for
other around the house usage. Seems HD and Sears are the only major
dealers for wheel barrels around here. Any recommendations... metal,
plastic? Other features to look for?

I may be mixing some cement. Do they still use wheel barrels for this...
metal or plastic... any difference? Or, am I better off mixing cement in
something else? I'll be filling some sonar tubes (sp?) and mortaring
around the house. Thanks!

Thanks for all the advice. I didn't know it. We had one up in the attic.
It's an old metal one with a steel wheel. It's old, and a bit awkward to
handle. But, it will do the job.

Thanks for the mixer idea too. I'll probably to filling a number of two to
three foot deep tubes. For mortaring around the house I could do the mixing
by hand.

Stormin Mormon

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS...de=07-408603-2

I'd suggest a wheelbarrow, instead.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Charlie S." wrote in message
Looking to buy a wheel barrel. Will using it to move some bricks and for
other around the house usage. Seems HD and Sears are the only major dealers
for wheel barrels around here. Any recommendations... metal, plastic?
Other features to look for?

I may be mixing some cement. Do they still use wheel barrels for this...
metal or plastic... any difference? Or, am I better off mixing cement in
something else? I'll be filling some sonar tubes (sp?) and mortaring around
the house. Thanks!

SteveB

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?prod_id=111915&cm_mmc=1hd.com2froogle-_-product_feed-_-D28X-_-111915&srccode=cii_14110944&cpncode=07-408603-2 I'd suggest a wheelbarrow, instead. -- Christopher A. YoungO God! Now, you've done it. You'll have the tinyurl.com people on yer ass.