Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Chimney Tear down

I have a chimney I have decided to teardown since it is not needed
(located in the family room). I already have another chimney in the
living room. The chimney also has cracks where it rests next to the
roof - another reason why I want it taken down.

I am being charged $3000 to tear it down which includes labor and
material which will be used to construct the hole in the wall and the
roof. New inner/outer walls along with the roof will be left as if the
chimney never existed (code of course).

Should I be concerned about anything? My concern is that I'm paying too
much. Am I?

I hope I didn't exclude any tibit of information - I'm located in Los
Angeles, CA.

Much Appreciated,

Posted to alt.home.repair
tom

Get more than one estimate. At least three. Then you should have a
range of quotes to help you make your decision. Tom

Posted to alt.home.repair
MP

I know that getting three different estimates would be ideal when
dealing with an actual contractor... the gentlemen are handyman and far
and many in between that I would trust. He was refered to me and
appeared to know what he was talking about. I should have worded my
question better, and asked, is the 3k cheaper then what an actual
company would charge me?

Posted to alt.home.repair
IBM5081

Without seeing what is involved, you may have a bargain or a scam here.
For that much money, I would write a simple contract to ensure that you
get what is agreed upon. Whether you choose to get more bids (which is
a good idea) or not.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Make sure you have every item listed and signed before you start.
This is for your protection and for the contractor's protection as
well.

Is removal of the debris included?
Will paint be from corner to corner, or on new material?
Will trim be matched?
Is there floor work to be done?
Insulation in ceiling and floor?
All labor and materials included?
Dust protection?

In Charleston SC, I would consider myself lucky to find someone to do
the several kinds of work, and $3,000 would be an excellent price - if
the quality of work is good.

TB

Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

Should I be concerned about anything? My concern is that I'm paying too
much. Am I?

Depends. Can you get it done for less?

Posted to alt.home.repair
MP

*Removal is included to include the cost of the local dump fees.
*Paint will be on new material on the outside. I have paint that was a
perfect match from another prior job. Inside too.
*Trim will be matched.
*The floor work is slab. There might be though - will cross that bridge
when we get there.
*Insulation will be included.
*ALL labor and materials will be included on the agreed amount price.
*Dust protection will be included inside the house - however I will
assist him there since dust has its mind of its own.
*Quality of work??? He was refered to me by the school where my wife
works at. They use him regulaly, but yet to see with my own
expectations.

He does not expect money until the end of the days work - 4 days max.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RayV

Sounds to me like your are getting a great deal! However I am in NJ
where people are too stupid to be allowed to pump their own gas. As
long as the guy is sure that the chimney isn't supporting another part
of the structure I would go for it and have a good sized tip ready for
him.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joshua Putnam

Sounds like a reasonable price to me if he does good work.

Even better if he's reliable about it.

When we needed to take out a 2-story brick chimney a couple of years
ago, several people looked at it, none actually bid at all, and I ended
up having to do it myself. Took it apart brick by brick with an air
chisel to avoid damage to the surrounding structure. It's a long, slow,
unpleasant job.

--
is Joshua Putnam
http://www.phred.org/~josh/
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oh, insurance!
Some arrangement is needed.
TB

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"RayV" wrote in message
However I am in NJ
where people are too stupid to be allowed to pump their own gas.

Don't complain. Gas in NJ is cheap compared to most states. Don't think it
will be any cheaper to have self serve. In the Democratic state of MA where
I work, each town gets to decide if they will allow self serve or if a
"trained professional" must do the pumping. In bordering towns, the price
is the same. When it is below freezing, I'm very content to sit in the car
and let someone else watch the pump. Where I live in CT, the stations jack
up the full serve by 15 to 20¢ just so they don't have to serve their
customers.

Posted to alt.home.repair
German Jerry

On the topic of dust control it helps to block the chimney during the
dismantel process. Depending upon the size of the chimney you can use a
bed pillow or ol couch pillow to plug the damper. Or if you are looking
for a real tight seal you can use a chimney balloon like the ones on
this website www.chimneyballoon.us
I know they are listed as insulation devices but they help when
demolishing a chimney too. Dust downdrafts so easily into the living
area when working on the chimney. You want as tight of a seal as you
can get.
I think you are getting a great deal at $3K. If the mortar is still
mostly good on the chimney that dismantle can take days to do.

Posted to alt.home.repair
MP

I appreciate everyone's input on the subject. The work has commenced
and is looking good thus far.

I have no complaints, yet. :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art

I would look in the yellow pages for a mason who does repairs and see what
he wants for the tear down. He may know some good carpenters to do the
repairs.

"MP" wrote in message
ups.com...
I know that getting three different estimates would be ideal when
dealing with an actual contractor... the gentlemen are handyman and far
and many in between that I would trust. He was refered to me and
appeared to know what he was talking about. I should have worded my
question better, and asked, is the 3k cheaper then what an actual
company would charge me?

type of chimney to install? Ari Home Repair 10 April 26th 06 02:17 AM
how to convert brick chimney to metal pipe? [email protected] Home Repair 3 October 26th 05 02:17 PM
Fireplace / Chimney Question [email protected] Home Ownership 15 December 22nd 04 02:12 PM
Chimney Question Rob Gray Home Repair 1 October 21st 04 03:16 AM
[Fwd: Chimney cap replacement questions] RB Home Repair 0 December 26th 03 07:13 PM