DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Chimney Tear down (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/156082-chimney-tear-down.html)

[email protected] May 3rd 06 09:06 PM

Chimney Tear down

I have a chimney I have decided to teardown since it is not needed
(located in the family room). I already have another chimney in the
living room. The chimney also has cracks where it rests next to the
roof - another reason why I want it taken down.

I am being charged $3000 to tear it down which includes labor and
material which will be used to construct the hole in the wall and the
roof. New inner/outer walls along with the roof will be left as if the
chimney never existed (code of course).

Should I be concerned about anything? My concern is that I'm paying too
much. Am I?

I hope I didn't exclude any tibit of information - I'm located in Los
Angeles, CA.

Much Appreciated,

tom May 3rd 06 09:13 PM

Chimney Tear down

Get more than one estimate. At least three. Then you should have a
range of quotes to help you make your decision. Tom

MP May 3rd 06 10:36 PM

Chimney Tear down

I know that getting three different estimates would be ideal when
dealing with an actual contractor... the gentlemen are handyman and far
and many in between that I would trust. He was refered to me and
appeared to know what he was talking about. I should have worded my
question better, and asked, is the 3k cheaper then what an actual
company would charge me?

IBM5081 May 3rd 06 10:44 PM

Chimney Tear down

Without seeing what is involved, you may have a bargain or a scam here.
For that much money, I would write a simple contract to ensure that you
get what is agreed upon. Whether you choose to get more bids (which is
a good idea) or not.

[email protected] May 3rd 06 11:09 PM

Chimney Tear down

Make sure you have every item listed and signed before you start.
This is for your protection and for the contractor's protection as
well.

Is removal of the debris included?
Will paint be from corner to corner, or on new material?
Will trim be matched?
Is there floor work to be done?
Insulation in ceiling and floor?
All labor and materials included?
Dust protection?

In Charleston SC, I would consider myself lucky to find someone to do
the several kinds of work, and $3,000 would be an excellent price - if
the quality of work is good.

TB

Goedjn May 3rd 06 11:10 PM

Chimney Tear down

Should I be concerned about anything? My concern is that I'm paying too
much. Am I?

Depends. Can you get it done for less?

MP May 3rd 06 11:36 PM

Chimney Tear down

*Removal is included to include the cost of the local dump fees.
*Paint will be on new material on the outside. I have paint that was a
perfect match from another prior job. Inside too.
*Trim will be matched.
*The floor work is slab. There might be though - will cross that bridge
when we get there.
*Insulation will be included.
*ALL labor and materials will be included on the agreed amount price.
*Dust protection will be included inside the house - however I will
assist him there since dust has its mind of its own.
*Quality of work??? He was refered to me by the school where my wife
works at. They use him regulaly, but yet to see with my own
expectations.

He does not expect money until the end of the days work - 4 days max.

RayV May 4th 06 01:33 AM

Chimney Tear down

Sounds to me like your are getting a great deal! However I am in NJ
where people are too stupid to be allowed to pump their own gas. As
long as the guy is sure that the chimney isn't supporting another part
of the structure I would go for it and have a good sized tip ready for
him.

Joshua Putnam May 4th 06 01:40 AM

Chimney Tear down

Sounds like a reasonable price to me if he does good work.

Even better if he's reliable about it.

When we needed to take out a 2-story brick chimney a couple of years
ago, several people looked at it, none actually bid at all, and I ended
up having to do it myself. Took it apart brick by brick with an air
chisel to avoid damage to the surrounding structure. It's a long, slow,
unpleasant job.

--
is Joshua Putnam
http://www.phred.org/~josh/

[email protected] May 4th 06 01:57 AM

Chimney Tear down

Oh, insurance!
Some arrangement is needed.
TB

Edwin Pawlowski May 4th 06 03:27 AM

Chimney Tear down

"RayV" wrote in message
However I am in NJ
where people are too stupid to be allowed to pump their own gas.

Don't complain. Gas in NJ is cheap compared to most states. Don't think it
will be any cheaper to have self serve. In the Democratic state of MA where
I work, each town gets to decide if they will allow self serve or if a
"trained professional" must do the pumping. In bordering towns, the price
is the same. When it is below freezing, I'm very content to sit in the car
and let someone else watch the pump. Where I live in CT, the stations jack
up the full serve by 15 to 20¢ just so they don't have to serve their
customers.

Jedd Haas May 4th 06 09:34 PM

Chimney Tear down

In article .com,
wrote:

I have a chimney I have decided to teardown since it is not needed
(located in the family room). I already have another chimney in the
living room. The chimney also has cracks where it rests next to the
roof - another reason why I want it taken down.

I am being charged $3000 to tear it down which includes labor and
material which will be used to construct the hole in the wall and the
roof. New inner/outer walls along with the roof will be left as if the
chimney never existed (code of course).

Should I be concerned about anything? My concern is that I'm paying too
much. Am I?

I hope I didn't exclude any tibit of information - I'm located in Los
Angeles, CA.

Much Appreciated,

You don't say if your chimney is one story or two. Even if it's only one
story, you're getting a good deal. Just be sure to get an insurance
certificate, and make sure coverage is active.

--
Jedd Haas - Artist - New Orleans, LA
http://www.gallerytungsten.com

German Jerry May 5th 06 03:12 AM

Chimney Tear down

On the topic of dust control it helps to block the chimney during the
dismantel process. Depending upon the size of the chimney you can use a
bed pillow or ol couch pillow to plug the damper. Or if you are looking
for a real tight seal you can use a chimney balloon like the ones on
this website www.chimneyballoon.us
I know they are listed as insulation devices but they help when
demolishing a chimney too. Dust downdrafts so easily into the living
area when working on the chimney. You want as tight of a seal as you
can get.
I think you are getting a great deal at $3K. If the mortar is still
mostly good on the chimney that dismantle can take days to do.

MP May 5th 06 08:00 PM

Chimney Tear down

I appreciate everyone's input on the subject. The work has commenced
and is looking good thus far.

I have no complaints, yet. :-)

Art May 6th 06 01:26 AM

Chimney Tear down

I would look in the yellow pages for a mason who does repairs and see what
he wants for the tear down. He may know some good carpenters to do the
repairs.

ups.com...