Posted to alt.home.repair
Eric

Default doorbell transformer

I am searchign for the transformer to my doorbell system which I suspect is
bad. In prior houses I have found it in the garage. This house does not
have an attached garage and I cannot find it anywhere. Any ideas.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

"Eric" wrote in message
news:8ecc4580a135869613940f6df173a601@homerepairli ve.com...
I am searchign for the transformer to my doorbell system which I suspect is
bad. In prior houses I have found it in the garage. This house does not
have an attached garage and I cannot find it anywhere. Any ideas.

I've always found them in the cellar, installed in the darkest possible
place, covered with cobwebs.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Rudy

I am searchign for the transformer to my doorbell system which I suspect is
bad. In prior houses I have found it in the garage.

Do you have a utility room, maybe where your furnace and/or HW tank is ?
How about a basement or crawlspace?

"Bad"? Put a voltmeter on the wires at the "button". Are they 'hot' ?

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

Can't tell you how many times I've been there. It amazes me, the creative
locations folks put doorbell transformers in. First I'd look attached to the
circuit breaker panel, also look inside, if not, look in a basement or attic
location nearest to the chime, or either button

"Eric" wrote in message
news:8ecc4580a135869613940f6df173a601@homerepairli ve.com...
I am searchign for the transformer to my doorbell system which I suspect is
bad. In prior houses I have found it in the garage. This house does not
have an attached garage and I cannot find it anywhere. Any ideas.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd

On Mon, 01 May 2006 13:17:39 -0500, "Eric"
wrote:

I am searchign for the transformer to my doorbell system which I suspect is
bad. In prior houses I have found it in the garage. This house does not
have an attached garage and I cannot find it anywhere. Any ideas.

In my house, the transformer is in the closet with the furnace (and on
the same circuit as the furnace fan).
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

wrote:

I am searchign for the transformer to my doorbell system which I suspect
is
bad. In prior houses I have found it in the garage. This house does not
have an attached garage and I cannot find it anywhere. Any ideas.

In my house, the transformer is in the closet with the furnace (and on
the same circuit as the furnace fan).
Mark Lloyd

You know how, in some states, you have to reveal the possible presence of
lead paint when you're selling your house? There should be similar law
requiring owners to locate and reveal the location of their doorbell
transformers. What the hell do a furnace fan and a doorbell have in
common??? :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair
ameijers

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
"Eric" wrote in message
news:8ecc4580a135869613940f6df173a601@homerepairli ve.com...
I am searchign for the transformer to my doorbell system which I suspect

is
bad. In prior houses I have found it in the garage. This house does

not
have an attached garage and I cannot find it anywhere. Any ideas.

I've always found them in the cellar, installed in the darkest possible
place, covered with cobwebs.

In this house I bought last year, I found it in the attic, hung off a
junction box near the scuttle hole, about a 10 foot wire run from the chime
box in the hallway below. As a kid, we always hung them off of or near the
service panel. I'd be suprised if transformer was bad- I usually find it be
be a crapped out button, a stuck dinger, or a rotted wire, in that order.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Abe

You know how, in some states, you have to reveal the possible presence of
lead paint when you're selling your house? There should be similar law
requiring owners to locate and reveal the location of their doorbell
transformers. What the hell do a furnace fan and a doorbell have in
common??? :-)

Nothing. It's just a common location for the transformer.

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT

Eric wrote:
I am searchign for the transformer to my doorbell system which I suspect is
bad. In prior houses I have found it in the garage. This house does not
have an attached garage and I cannot find it anywhere. Any ideas.

FWIW, ours is near the furnace.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

wrote:

I am searchign for the transformer to my doorbell system which I suspect is
bad. In prior houses I have found it in the garage. This house does not
have an attached garage and I cannot find it anywhere. Any ideas.

I have it. I'm sorry. I'll bring it back tomorrow.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Chuck B.

CJT wrote:
Eric wrote:

I am searchign for the transformer to my doorbell system which I
suspect is
bad. In prior houses I have found it in the garage. This house does not
have an attached garage and I cannot find it anywhere. Any ideas.

FWIW, ours is near the furnace.

I found mine inside the wall in the garage. I happened to touch the wall
one day and it felt warm. There was a plastic cover plate over an
electrical box. Pulled it off and there was the transformer.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Calvin Henry-Cotnam

CJT ) said...

FWIW, ours is near the furnace.

Doorbell transformers are designed to attach to a 1/2" knockout hole
on the 120 volt side for installation convenience. Why some choose to
attach it to a box in a weird place is beyond me.

My parents' home (built in 1963) had it attached to the side of the
fuse panel.

When we built our own home a couple of years ago, I located it on
the side of our main electrical panel as well. To take it a step further,
I installed a terminal block just above the panel and both the pushbuttons
and the bell have home runs to that location so not only is the
transformer conveniently located, so are all the connections.

--
Calvin Henry-Cotnam
"I really think Canada should get over to Iraq as quickly as possible"
Posted to alt.home.repair

if tract home

ask neighbors.

idiots drywall basement cielings all the time

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd

On Mon, 01 May 2006 21:45:07 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

I am searchign for the transformer to my doorbell system which I suspect
is
bad. In prior houses I have found it in the garage. This house does not
have an attached garage and I cannot find it anywhere. Any ideas.

In my house, the transformer is in the closet with the furnace (and on
the same circuit as the furnace fan).
Mark Lloyd

You know how, in some states, you have to reveal the possible presence of
lead paint when you're selling your house? There should be similar law
requiring owners to locate and reveal the location of their doorbell
transformers. What the hell do a furnace fan and a doorbell have in
common??? :-)

The doorbell and furnace are two things installed in the house when
it's being built, and they both involve installing low-voltage wiring.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

"Mark Lloyd" wrote in message
On Mon, 01 May 2006 21:45:07 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

And they both have metal parts. There's the link!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I am searchign for the transformer to my doorbell system which I suspect is
bad. In prior houses I have found it in the garage. This house does not
have an attached garage and I cannot find it anywhere. Any ideas.

In my house, the transformer is in the closet with the furnace (and on
the same circuit as the furnace fan).
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Furnaces (and cooling systems) use a doorbell transformer to provide
the low-voltage for the thermostats.

Does this transformer also power your doorbells?

Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd

wrote:

I am searchign for the transformer to my doorbell system which I suspect is
bad. In prior houses I have found it in the garage. This house does not
have an attached garage and I cannot find it anywhere. Any ideas.

In my house, the transformer is in the closet with the furnace (and on
the same circuit as the furnace fan).
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Furnaces (and cooling systems) use a doorbell transformer to provide
the low-voltage for the thermostats.

Does this transformer also power your doorbells?

The furnace uses 24VAC and the doorbell uses 16VAC.

Dave